Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

l'objet trouve - lost and found

Poster: A snowHead
So....what have you lost.....and found?

Alex - '..Dad...got one....'
Me '...what's that then...'
Alex: '..Scott pole clip....'
Me: '...Ah....many thanks....' pocketing the little white clip which was found at the lift queue. With dozens of pairs of poles in the chalet, it's really handy to have them.

A week earlier:

Yves shoots past us and over the edge of the narrow piste, and down the bank into the trees. '..Did you mean to do that?...' I call down. '...er...No...' comes the reply. As he sidesteps up the powdery bank, he stoops and digs a bit. Out comes a Black Diamond touring ski...a new one. '...Just the one. Yves?...' we shout. '...yes...'. Sure there's not another one buried somewhere? Nope. Well someone must have been really p++++d off searching around for that, and not finding it.

A week before that:

Mental note...I must put a screw gate carabiner on the back of my pack, not a spring gate...leans back in the chair...'...click...'. B====r the crab's locked me onto the chair. Frantic scrabbling with one hand trying to undo it, which I manage to do....and drop the crab in the process...it tumbles down out of reach and plooof into deep snow. Okey doke...mental note...put a screwgate on my pack instead.

End of last season
Last day of open lifts, in the restaurant and it's going to be demolished this summer. Right let's look in the Lost and Found box ... ah ha...Icebreaker balaclava - we'll have that....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't remember if I've posted this up before, but.....

Skied a day at Grand Montets, end of day went back to my truck in car park quite late so car park is pretty empty. Next to truck leaning on post to support chain dividing the car park rows are a nice set of extendable carbon Black Diamond poles. Figured I wasn't just going to donate them to the next person who spotted them, nor to the GM staff, so I reported the find at the ticket desk just as it was shutting, and wrote a note with my cell number and attached it to the post where I found the poles. Took the poles with me and figured either the owner gets them back or I keep them, job done. Heard nothing.

Maybe 3 days later back at GM at end of day, this time with family in tow. Whilst they are faffing with boots etc at end of day (again late, car park near deserted) I thought I'ld wander over to where I found the poles, see if my note was still there and if not renew it. Found the correct post, note still there, plus another pair of nice BD carbon extendable poles. I just stood there, thinking this has to be a wind up. I was looking around trying to spot a hidden camera for some sort of You Tube prank.

In the end I picked them up and started to walk back to my truck (figured the note could do double duty now). I'ld just got back to the truck to start telling the missus 'you're not going to believe this' when I spotted a french reg estate car shooting up the access road along side the car park. Something about it's haste in the empty car park meant I knew straight away he was the owner so I headed back over. He's stopped by the post looking forlorn when I arrive waving his poles; smiles all round.

Still got the first pair though, must have had 100-150 days out of them so far, nice poles**.

**anyone responding to this post with "hey, I left a pair of BD poles at GM a few years ago" can f right off, return rights have expired.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@midgetbiker, excellent. Lovely story.

This has triggered something. I have just remembered a ‘found object’ thing which happens quite a lot.

Car park, end of the day (Chandolin, Nax, Anzere) - 100m out of the car park..one glove on the road. I then know that there likely will be another glove a further 100m on. Yep...someone has done the ‘gloves on the roof...’ thing...and driven off. We often put them on a post by the side of the road. I might leave a note and phone number in the way you describe from now on.

I sure as hell DO NOT put my gloves on the roof...ever.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I sure as hell DO NOT put my gloves on the roof...ever.

Ha. My first trip to the US included an afternoon as the UK consulate in LA after my friend did that with her passport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Family visitors I'd organised a complicated holiday for, one person with Zimbabwe passport with no entry papers for Switzerland (I'd done a special in the Mairie for him), couple on their honeymoon with BOTH sets of inlaws and rumbustious identical twin 5 year old boys). Two hired cars from Geneva - route out not touching Switzerland, etc. It all went well - it was Spring, snow slushy but warm and sunny and three of the four inlaws were non skiers. I'd organised a picnic lunch beside a mountain stream one day.... all had gone well. The afternoon before they were due to leave to get back to Gva one of the drivers lost the keys to one of the hired cars. Panic. We agreed that the other car hire driver and I would drive into Gva and pick up a spare set of keys. Phoned the car hire company - they had just had a phone call from an ESF ski instructor who had seen them nestled into the snow on the edge of a piste. So we had a shorter drive into Saisies with a decent bottle of red wine to swap for the keys. Phew! And
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Everyone lost Alex when he was 4 years old. I was waiting at the RDV and unbeknown to me his instructor was frantic on the phone, since his group of five had suddenly become four with no warning at all, on the tree-lined runs back to base. Phones were ringing all over the resort to no avail, for 10 mins. At that point I was informed that Alex was AWOL and did i have him. After the alarm bells had died down in my head and I got on top of the panic, I suddenly thought....hang on...I know. I hightailed it down to the bar next to main lifts and yep, there was Alex propping up the bar with a hot chocolate, provided by his mate Julian (the barman) and simultaneously watching the TV and shooting lines about how nice it was off piste in the forest...

He’d just fancied a relaxing lunchtime and nipped off the back of group, covered about 2km of distance and 500m of vertical in the woods alone (!) and arrived as he had planned at the bar.....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 8-03-19 6:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I lost some lovely Swany Gloves in a boot locker in Mottaret. I literally walked out the door, turned and went back in again and the gloves had been nicked. I left them for less than a minute.

This year, one of my skiing partners found a Helmet Cam lying on the Piste at La Plagne...and handed it in at the next lift.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OFB ...gloves....a couple of weeks ago I dashed into the toilets at Violettes, very quiet in resort, put my purple leather Haglofs gloves on the flat top of the hand dryer and as I was peeing saw a guy grab them and begin to leave...OI! Those are mine!...He said (and he was wearing gloves himself) ‘...ah I thought they were my friend’s....’. I thought ‘rubbish’... but was pleasant ‘...no, they are mine....’.

I wandered out huffing and muttering since they are very unusual gloves and I have never seen another pair anywhere....

......Apart from the guy standing in the queue for Plaine Morte. He had exactly that model of purple leather Haglof Guide Glove. And where the guy I had just spoken to was saying in French ‘...goodness that was potentially embarrassing, I just pis+ed off an Englishman by taking his gloves, thinking they were yours....’

My faith in humanity went up by a small notch.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our son was having an awful time sailing his boat and was getting really angry. We were coaching him from shore but couldn’t figure out what was wrong. He seemed to be doing everything right. Then he shouted there was an increasing amount of water on board but he managed to get over to us. We set about trying to get it out of the water and found out what the problem was......... he’d lost the bung! Doh.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the passport thing, Mrs U and I happened to both be at the same conference (abroad) and I was staying on for a meeting the following day. She kindly offered to take my overnight bag home as she was leaving in the AM.

My meeting was cancelled and I was looking forward to a pleasant couple of hours supping fine ale in the sunshine before heading to teh airport when she called,

Mrs U, "Hi Honey, do you know where your passport is?"

Himself, "Why, yes, sweetie, in. my.. over... night..... bag ...... "

Lesson, do not report your passport as missing to the Police before going to the airline and getting them to talk to HM Gov immigration - who were very helpful for me. Not so much that I had to get a 24 hour replacement the next day, thankfully on a technicality.

Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Richard_Sideways, is forgetting the time he fell over on a piste just above the Altiport in Courchevel, without realising his phone had disappeared out his pocket in the process when we were meant to be meeting up with a remote former colleague of his and fellow snowHead jd_evansand his better half paula for the first time some years back. Thinking chances of meeting up and ever retrieving phone kyboshed for that trip and they would think us ignorant sods (high winds had stopped them getting over from Les Menuires already that week), I suggested we pop into the local police office at the end of the day on the off chance - lo and behold said phone had arrived there, it had landed on the terrace of the Altiport restaurant and been handed in.

We have had many happy days skiing / boarding, camping, cycling, festivaling and even museuming with the Evans family since Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Three years ago at my flat in Flachau, eeyore's lotta luvs were taken from the ski room on the last night. The ski room is only accessible by people with a key to the apartment block. I was mortified. Fast forward to new year just gone. A group arrived on the saturday...we were leaving on Sunday...and I spotted the lottas in the ski room. Identical scrapes on the bindings . I sellotaped a note in german, Czech and English to say my identical skis were taken in the same week 3 years go by mistake...if they might be my skis could you please text me. No text...but the skis were left behind and Tarquin recovered them a couple of weeks later. Good karma

Also got my boot warmers from a Russian guest who left them behind. I sent a note but got no reply so spasiba

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 7-03-19 21:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Also got my boot warmers from a Russian guest whon left them behind

When my son was cheffing for Russians they left great quantities of things behind, quite deliberately, including caviar, cigars and a big radio controlled car which was broken, but very easily mended.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, i suspect my Russians didn't run to caviar. When looked at their address on street view it seemed to be a garage...or maybe that was just a front
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I once lost a pair of gloves after a trip to Villars, we went to the same hotel the next year and my gloves were still on the boot shelves where I had left them 1 year earlier
latest report
My girlfriend works for a chalet/apartment company in cham. She and her friends have some lovely designer gear left behind by the Ukrainian prostitutes flown in by some rich Russians. (flown in on the proviso they could ski.....they could not and there were some disgruntles Russians booking ski lessons at the start of the week Very Happy )

I left my snowshepherd gloves on the roof of my car the other week. Had no idea where they were until I then left my replacement pair on the roof again on Wednesday and realised what I'd done...
ski holidays
...and ValaisGrom has a number of ‘sticks’ moments .... sitting in a gondola panic panic ‘...sh=t where are my sticks?...’.

‘Er you’ve just swapped onto the snowboard, Alex....’

Phew...smiles...’..oh yes...’
ski holidays
At Avoriaz over new year, got one of my lovely Leki poles caught under a lift during a moment of confusion. Cue broken pole and a trip to a shop to get a cheapy set to see the week out. Next day, stop for lunch and some spineless POS stole my cheapy poles and my brother's Leki poles.

Same trip, I found a Mars bar on the piste. Swings and roundabouts, innit.
ski holidays
This week I got back to the apartment on the first lunchtime and tried to locate the bootroom. Found one open, but no locker for our apartment. Asked a French guy who said another unlabeled room was also a boot room, but this was locked and I had no key. By this point I was getting hungry, do left newly hired skis and poles outside said bootroom for an hour while I hiked up 3 flights of stairs for lunch.
1 hour later returned and neither skis nor poles were present. An afternoon of frantic searching, before going back to hire shop explaining the situation and being offered a second set of skis free of charge (full marks to hire shop for being really nice about it). Put up a notice in French/English where I had left skis giving contact details, no contact, but a day or so later skis were propped up again by the notice where I had left them the first time!
I guess a large group had added their skis to the pile and mine had got carried off somewhere with all the rest of them.
snow report
Dropped a camera while stating in Mayrhofen and didn't realise until on way back home so thought it was gone forever.
Got an email from the hotel we were staying in a few of days later saying it was found - someone had checked the images, seen pictures of the hotel and had taken the trouble to take it to reception who in turn had recognised us in photos.
just happened to be staying in same hotel so picked up the next year.
Never discovered who originally found it to thank them.
snow report
Sitting in a bar slope-side in St Anton watching all the people crashing down to the bottom.... designer couple, expensive gear come in, hang coats etc up and have a drink... sometime later they do the " you first, then me" toilet ritual then back to don their clothing... except blokey can't find his gloves, lots of rushing backwards and forwards, downstairs, upstairs, etc, etc... we smile sympathetically and look around, then my husband walks up to designer bloke and says "excuse me", turns him around and retrieves gloves from his hood! Bloke was well embarrassed but very grateful.
latest report
Campsite at Mayrhofen in Jan. Left bathtowel on the drying rack each time I had a shower ... all's good for a couple of days but then it disappeared... very annoyed but no problem as I had another. Fast forward another week and towel reappears smelling vaguely of smoke.
snow report
Has anyone found and still got my +7 prescription glasses that fell out of my jacket in Val d’isere in 2003 ? Smile
snow report
@always29, indeed we have; you forgot to include the hangovers though wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy