Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Ripstick 96’s

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a little advice. I have been a mainly on piste skier up to this point but am looking at a pair of free ride ski’s for next season to give me a little more versatility off piste as well as on and really like the reviews on the Ripstick 96’s.
As a 177cm tall guy who can ski pretty much anything on the front of the mountain, what length of ski would you advise ?

Andy.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gave them a spin at the last Okobertest and found them quite easy to get on with, provided you can get past that paint job - they are VERY green!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To give a reasonably accurate idea of length:

- What do you weigh
- Realistically, how much time do you intend skiing off piste
- What level skier are you - technically
- What speed do you ski at
- What length piste ski do you like...preference for length plays a role
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Restless native, what do you weigh? How do the skis know how tall you are?

Personally, although I do like quite a burly ski, I found vs. Mantra, 90eight, Bonafide the Ripsticks were a nice powder ski (probably, didn't have any powder) but a bit soft and noodly on piste, with a very clear top speed limit Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the reply’s,
I weigh 180 kg, plan to ski off piste as much as the conditions will allow, technically would be a good strong intermediate skier, prefer steady, controlled and technically correct skiing rather than tearing down the mountain and am currently on a 171cm ski which I enjoy and suits me.

Andy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you mean 80kg/180lbs

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 8-03-19 17:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Restless native, Go for the 181, but the Ripstick 96 Black Edition

https://www.elanskis.com/si-si/en_GB/cat/Products-9549/Highlights-10828/Black-Edition-10829/prod/ripstick-96-black-edition-186823/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also agree with 181 (if you are around 80kg).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Restless native, I had a quick run on a pair on piste but found them a bit hard on my knees. It was odd as I would have guessed they were wider than they are.

These were 181's I think and I'm also 80kg.

I ended up buying a pair of Black Crow Navis for the job you have in mind in 179.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a pair for a couple of days and thought they were great. One of the days included a four hour all mountain lesson including fairly deep fresh powder and they really delivered for me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm just back from Steamboat, Colorado where I was skiing 106 181 Ripsticks for five or so days.

I usually ski back home BC Atris 184 108's and have to say the Ripstick was as sweet.

I skied perfect corduroy (video) as well as varying depths and quality of powder, and they skied very well, but there again in these conditions you'd have to be quite a muppet to not get the most out of any ski.

http://youtube.com/v/91i4SeZAP1Y

So I'd imagine the 96 would be better as an all mountain ski, but there again the 106 was pretty damn good!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice pics and vid, that piste and the scenery look sweeeeeeet!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All that said, if you are the sort to notice the difference between skis (not everyone is) - you may well find they hit your spot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies and advice snowHead snowHead
Andy.
ski holidays
I have just spent a week with someone in our group who was on Ripstick 96s and I think I am talking myself into getting a pair. He was a very strong and fast skier both on and off piste.

He was on 174s and said he weighed 95K. I am 75K but am thinking of 174s myself. If that seems a bit long for me, they are rockered and like other rockered skis such as my current Rossignol Soul 7s, they are supposed to ski like a shorter ski on piste, as when on piste the rockered tip and tails are not really doing anything. Any advice on ski length would be appreciated.

He said that he had to get them from a continental supplier. Can anybody recommend a reputable company?
ski holidays
@richjp, Can you answer the questions above, adding your height, as it makes suggesting ski length easier.
latest report
Sorry, double post.
snow report
@richjp, why do you want to ditch the Souls? I can't see the Elans being better...
latest report
@under a new name, yes I should have added that the week before in Winter Park I was skiing Rossignol Soul 7 HD along with the the OH too and they were very good.

Today I was ski touring with some Scandi mates and they love their Soul 7's.

I could happily switch between the BC Atris, Rip Sticks and Soul 7's Puzzled

@richjp, and what height was the 95kg guy in your group on 174's, a sumo wrestler Laughing
latest report
There are some rip sticks on Private Sports Shop at the mo. £256
ski holidays
I skied the 181 96's for a couple of days, largely on piste, and hated them. Way too soft for me, not enough edge hold and the tips flapped at speed. Having said that I learnt on slalom and gs skis so prefer my skis stiff, even off the piste.
snow conditions
Ps, I weigh 65kgs and am 175cm
snow report
@restless native

You should mention your weight : it's more important than your size.

I tested many times the Ripstick 96. It is a great ski, lively and fun to use. A marvel in powder and soft snows. But it is soft ski, and it will not be at ease in all conditions on piste, especially on hardpack and steep slopes.

So it a very endearing ski but I would not say it is very versatile. I would advise to do not buy it too short (ideal size will depends on your weight and the way you ski). It has been reviewed by Neveitalia : https://www.gearscore.co.uk/elan/ripstick-96/2019/neveitalia_2019-skis-review/

If you are a heavy skier I would not recommend this product.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 11-03-19 15:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@richjp, Can you answer the questions above, adding your height, as it makes suggesting ski length easier.

As follows:

Weight 75K
Height 170 cm
How much time off piste. As much as possible. Almost all of my trips in the last ten years have been guided off piste weeks either with Snoworks or Freshtracks.
Technical level. In SCGB terms I have retained my purple level twice this season which I think most would describe as advanced but not expert.
Speed Offpiste. I am usually as fast as most in my group off piste apart from the chap I mentioned earlier. On piste I might be a bit slower than some, possibly because I am 72 and am skiing on wide skis.
What length piste ski. I am afraid I cannot really answer this one as I have only used what are primarily off piste skis for some time. Possibly 171s.

Thank you for your interest and I hope that helps.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@richjp, why do you want to ditch the Souls? I can't see the Elans being better...

If you see my previous post you will realise that I am getting on a bit so I think I might be better suited to more of an all round ski albeit with an off piste emphasis.

Two seasons ago I fell a long way down a hard packed couloir and ended up with a couple of leg injuries. Since then I have become a bit more nervous on steeps unless they are in fresh powder. Last week we did a couple of long and icy traverses as well and I felt that my 179 Soul 7s were clattering about a bit which was not much fun.

My Soul 7s are 102 underfoot whereas the Elans are obviously 96. I remember an instructor last season saying that 98 was a good width as they are better from edge to edge than anything wider.

Really I am looking for something a bit more nimble for more difficult conditions and although I ski primarily off piste I would like to enjoy my piste skiing a bit more as well.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@under a new name, yes I should have added that the week before in Winter Park I was skiing Rossignol Soul 7 HD along with the the OH too and they were very good.

Today I was ski touring with some Scandi mates and they love their Soul 7's.

I could happily switch between the BC Atris, Rip Sticks and Soul 7's Puzzled

@richjp, and what height was the 95kg guy in your group on 174's, a sumo wrestler Laughing

I would say he was 5 foot 10 inches or maybe a bit more. I think he pushes a lot of weights although he also has a bit of a paunch.

I was surprised when he said 95 kg. I would have guessed at 85 or maybe just a bit more.
latest report
richjp wrote:
under a new name wrote:

If you see my previous post you will realise that I am getting on a bit so I think I might be better suited to more of an all round ski albeit with an off piste emphasis.

That's the sort of ski I was looking for too - getting more in to off piste but want to be able to have a lazy ski on piste to get there, so willing to compromise out-and-out off piste performance for better on piste manners. My list came down to the Elan Ripticks, Rossignol Sky 7s and Dynastar Legend x96s. It was close but I put the Elans in 3rd place and more or less flipped a coin on the other 2, ending up with the Sky 7s.

Not saying the Elans might not be best for you, just giving a couple of other options.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will take a look at your other suggestions as I have a bit of time on my hands.

I first thought of the Ripsticks because as I said someone I skied with last week was using them.
ski holidays
I will take a look at your other suggestions as I have a bit of time on my hands.

I first thought of the Ripsticks because as I said someone I skied with last week was using them.
ski holidays
richjp wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

As follows:

Weight 75K
Height 170 cm
How much time off piste. As much as possible. Almost all of my trips in the last ten years have been guided off piste weeks either with Snoworks or Freshtracks.
Technical level. In SCGB terms I have retained my purple level twice this season which I think most would describe as advanced but not expert.
Speed Offpiste. I am usually as fast as most in my group off piste apart from the chap I mentioned earlier. On piste I might be a bit slower than some, possibly because I am 72 and am skiing on wide skis.
What length piste ski. I am afraid I cannot really answer this one as I have only used what are primarily off piste skis for some time. Possibly 171s.

Thank you for your interest and I hope that helps.

Thank you.

I reckon you would be fine with the 181....but given it's a softer ski,
and you are technically competent, you would also be fine with the 188.

To give you an idea, I'm 65kg/180cm and ski quite happily on a 180 Scott The Ski. If I was on the Brahma, I wouldn't go over a 170.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy