Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort ideas romantic skiing weekend :)

Poster: A snowHead
hi am looking for some help please.

planning last minute 3 or 4 day ski with hubby 21st March - no teenegae kids , just us Very Happy

ideal resorts which are:

90 mins tops from international airport - we can fly bristol, birmingham, Heathrow
pretty resort, not modern
NOT enormous resort - we just returned from 1/2 term in Corvara and loved but Alta Badia too far for the weekend, amble into village centre.
like cruisy blues and easyish reds
transfer in bus etc, not hire car - cant be bothered!!

any one got any immediate bright ideas?

thanks in advance

Victoria
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Victoria,

Les Gets is really nice. 1hr from Geneva
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Price range? And does 3-4 days Inc travel days, i.e. are you only looking for 2 full days skiing?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@the2hepburns, Not a small resort but spend the night up a mountain under the stars ....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/la-plagne-night-in-a-snow-groomer/
https://www.laplagnet.com/news/over-the-moon-and-under-the-stars-in-la-plagne-la-plagne-region-713531
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My romantic weekend resort has to be Murren - fly to Zurich, jump on the train, open a bottle of red and off you go.

Mrs F and I have stayed at the Hotel Eiger twice - the views are stupendous, having breakfast with the Eiger, the Monch and the Jungfrau in the distance ...

Murren is car free, small and picturesque - the skiing is just lovely ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megeve
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brs to innsbruck on sunday
Ski saalbach-hinter for a few nights
Return to innsbruck thurs for an evening & home fri morning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
some friends went here a couple of years ago. Fits the romantic tag

https://www.hotelleriedemascognaz.com/en/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Murren. Klosters would also tick most of your boxes, transfer by train instead of bus though. 2 hours from Zurich.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Murren sounds lovely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
An unusual idea , fly to Turin , stay in the walled city of Aosta , a delight , recommended B and B http://www.lerevecharmant.com/en/
Ski in Pila , linked by Gondola or short drive to La Thuile or Courmayeur .

Value , ski choice , city break and great food , what more could you want
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fly to Innsbruck. Transfer to Selva val Gardena (90mins). Stay at the Hotel Laurin. Enjoy the spa as well as the skiing. And the sunshine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surely the best romantic ski resort is zermatt. Fly to Geneva or Basel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I second Zermatt, flights to Zurich also work. yes it's a trek but really is the number one romantic resort....imo
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lech has more charm than Zermatt
snow report
There's some very romantic hotels in and around Champoluc. Ski-2 will do you a package that includes a private transfer from whatever airport suits you - Turin or Milan are closest I think.
ski holidays
Fly to Salzburg, get transfer to Zell am See 1 hour 15 mins away. Beautiful lakeside resort, plenty of nice apartments.

We are doing just that for a 4-night break next weekend!

Staying here:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/alpin-amp-seeresort-zell-am-see.en-gb.html
snow conditions
+1 Lech
ski-in/out
130km from Innsbruck airport

https://www.goldenerberg.at/en/mountain-winter/packages/

Fun fact: late princess Diana & family used to stay at the hotel goldener berg.
https://www.thesloaney.com/travel/an-unbeatable-ski-holiday-at-the-goldener-berg-hotel-in-oberlech.html
snow conditions
Copperhill Mountain Lodge in Åre was very romantic! An hour drive from Ostersund airport, I think you can get train or shuttle bus too. Very pretty scenery, amazing rooms and spa, ski in & out, skiing looks good this time of year. We stayed in December so it was much darker and colder, and lots was still closed, but I’d love to go back about this time.
ski holidays
Klosters - stay at the Alpina hotel - amazing spa area, great restaurant, close to everything
latest report
Ski, apres, sleep, repeat.
A ski break is too short for all that lovey dovey shoite
ski holidays
Venice and Cortina
2 days skiing and 2 days s........
It's been awhile since I could manage 2 days skiing
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, odd weekends you have, starting Sunday, ending Thursday.

Are Innsbruck flights efficient enough?
latest report
It's a shame you can't do 60 minutes more on the transfer and experience the beauty of Val d'Isere.

Amazing pistes, amazing restaurants and the best fun apres.
snow report
@bar shaker, Vd'I doesn't strike me as being terribly romantic, I must confess!

Romantic to me is quiet, charming (which Val is not), with empty pistes.

Mascognaz a nice idea, but somewhat isolated. Mind you my other immediate suggestion, Refuge Frantze isn't any better snowHead

Any of the main Monterosa villages would work. I'd prefer Champoluc myself as there's a bit more life.

Find a nice hotel. (I never use them).
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Lech has more charm than Zermatt

Don't be daft! Have you ever been to Zermatt?
snow report
It doesn't fit the traditional resort criteria, but:

- Fly to Innsbruck
- Transfer to the Aquadome spa in Ötztal (https://www.aqua-dome.at/en/)
- Use their free ski shuttles to ski Obergurgl (and maybe Sölden too)

If pretty traditional village is essential, then Alpbach would fit the bill.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker, Vd'I doesn't strike me as being terribly romantic, I must confess!

Romantic to me is quiet, charming (which Val is not), with empty pistes.

+1
Mind you if you want to romance someone to the sound of British middle class yobs singing at 3am and vomiting in the street V D'I is your place.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franga, OH & I have looked at the Hotel Eiger a few times now, but when we are heading to that area we always end up staying in Wengen, just because it is more central. It does look fantastic.

I think for romance and charm it is hard to see past Switzerland. As well as Murren and Zermatt that have already been mentioned, I'd suggest Wengen and Saas Fee.
ski holidays
Murren would be hard to beat for a romantic weekend. Zermatt? For me, not so much - too crowded for romance.

I'm sure there are some small Austrian resorts that would be equally charming bit I can't vouch for them personally. I went to a delightful small town in the Ziller valley about 30 years ago, a short trip by train from Innsbruck airport, but I can't remember what it was called and it's probably developed beyond recognition since I was there.
snow report
Quote:

Zermatt? For me, not so much - too crowded for romance.

I've not been to Zermatt but I feel the same about big busy places (and I wouldn't choose Val d'Isere either). All depends what you see as romantic, I suppose. But a small, quieter, picturesque village would be more my idea - I've not been to Murren either but always liked the look of it. Preferably, for romantic, I'd avoid big busy spa hotels too (especially as I dislike spas!). A top of the range private apartment with a log fire and couple of good restaurants within a short, pretty, snowy, walk would suit my idea of romance better. Blush
ski holidays
@pam w, what is romantic for one person is not for another. Personally I hate Valentine cards.

For my wife and me a romantic weekend would be doing the Snowdon horseshoe. Or staying in a mountain hut with a dozen other snorers
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally I hate Valentine cards.

Me too. Yes, Snowdon would be lovely - but not in a hut with a dozen other snorers. The west coast of Scotland on an anchor in a bay on one of the summer isles would be perfect. Though not if the anchor kept dragging through the kelp and having to be relaid. Nothing romantic about being on the foredeck in your PJs in the cold wind at 2 am. But I find truly romantic moments tend to crop up unexpectedly - rather than being meticulously planned for. wink
snow report
In the saloon with a glass of malt at 2.20 am, with the anchor holding and the gimballed lamp throwing the kind of soft light which obscures the evidence that you'd not washed up the last of the supper dishes - that might do it!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 8-03-19 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I think everyone's ideas of romance are a bit different which was why I was keen to point out that Val may be a very appropriate place if ones idea of romance was being vomited on by drunken Brit.
snow conditions
@T Bar,
ski holidays
Very Happy
ski holidays
No brainer - Cortina.
snow conditions
Well the OP does state "pretty resort, not modern" and "NOT enormous resort", so we have some idea of what she's looking for.

That sort of rules out VdI and Zermatt IMO, moreso given she's looking for places with nice cruisey blues and easier reds.

How about somewhere like Lans le Villard in Val Cenis? I haven't been for a while, but it used to be quite a pretty place IMO, and certainly had that "proper village" feel that the OP seems to be looking for. Skiing is mostly what the OP seems to be looking for too. The website suggests a 90 minute transfer to Chambery airport, though I'm not sure how viable that would be for a week-end break (Grenoble or Turin are 2 hours away and may be easier).
ski holidays
@T Bar, Laughing ..and finishing the day with a gentle cruise down Santons or the Face...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy