Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you rate and/ or slate?

Poster: A snowHead
I had to start this thread purely to slate Nevica (Sports Direct) ski socks. By the end of the first day wearing them, they felt like sand paper and I got blisters on my legs, from socks!!! I plan on burning them.

PhD Smartwool socks are far more expensive but practically perfect in every way. I didn’t even think about my feet whenever I wore them, no cold, no discomfort.

Please contribute your rated/slated things ski related, doesn’t have to be products, could be anything.

I’ll also rate the Dolomites, and slate crowds pushing into Gondolas...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I rate my planks yeti outerwear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I rate - Snowheads Bashes, Oakley Prizm High Pink goggles in flat light; excellent. The size of the gin measures in the Portavescovo Hotel. Toofy Grin

I slate - @admin's taste in music at the BB birthday party wink The three jam packed gondolas up to Marmolada (purgatory). Snowhead "experts" who get far too personal and vitriolic when giving advice. (Brace yourself @awdbugga, incoming Confused )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 on Oakley prizm

slate - Carv. Dont work and support team all off skiing. Wait for ski boot manuf built in ones.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah yes, now that you mention Goggles, I also rate OutdoorMaster goggles with interchangeable lenses. Amazon special, bargainous and no problems with fogging up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Icebreaker layers, you can wear the same base/mid combo for a week and they still smell fresh off the shelf.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+2 Oakley Prizms. Treated myself to a pair of FlightDeck Torch on my last trip on day 2 as my goggles just weren't giving me the confidence I needed in the varying light.

THE best piece of clothing/equipment I have purchased. Who would have thought that being able to see properly would improve your skiing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awdbugga wrote:
I slate - @admin's taste in music at the BB birthday party wink The three jam packed gondolas up to Marmolada (purgatory). Snowhead "experts" who get far too personal and vitriolic when giving advice. (Brace yourself @awdbugga, incoming Confused )

@Awdbugga, I think you are not alone in your view of admin's taste in music... Toofy Grin

As regards the jam packed cable cars (not gondolas) going up the Marmolada did you set off rather late from Arabba? One of the advantages of being based in Arabba is its closeness to the Marmolada which means if you set off early you can usually beat the crowds.

And talking of the Marmolada I trust (actually I know) that you don't consider jjams82 too personal and vitriolic when he told you on your first Birthday Bash "You are going to f*cking die on Friday" Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, I hope you are keeping well. Very Happy Yep @admin certainly has an "eclectic" taste in music.

We actually set off first thing for Marmolda; but it appears everyone else had the same idea. The large gondola's were packed, and I mean packed tight with people. Not at all enjoyable. But it was a means to an end and the views from the top were fantastic. I had no problems with the altitude. But then I am shorter than most people. wink

Nah, @jjam82's comments were a hoot; and he may well have not been that far off the mark last year; had I decided to have a crack at it. Laughing Having said that, I reckon I could have got down it last year; but it would not have been pretty and I may well have added to the not inconsiderable number of bruises I'd already accumulated by the last day. This year was fine. I didn't find it daunting at all and not that difficult to be honest. There are far more demanding reds on the way back from Marmolada to Arabba, all be they shorter (ie. Padon1). Less than 11 months to go now. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bodeswell wrote:
Icebreaker layers, you can wear the same base/mid combo for a week and they still smell fresh off the shelf.

+1

Slate: Stansted Airport...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rate Picture jackets and trousers. Comfortable, nice fit, look good, not too hot, get compliments off pretty girls and to top it off, are recycled.
Slate Reusch gloves. Not waterproof at all and after a week, stank so badly I couldn't wear them again; it got so bad that my hands still stank of them the next day after a shower and several trips to the washbasin.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rate Volcom articulated pants

Slate Howl Mittens - got ripped up after a few days. After 30 days I had to bin them and their customer service sucks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bodeswell wrote:

A week??? - mine are on 4 full seasons Very Happy

They have a lifetime guarantee on socks as well - can just take the disgusting old ones into a shop when they fall apart and get a new set
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, haha, yes, mine are 6 I think....it's not me that washes them after every trip, it just happens despite my protestations that it is completely unnecessary!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rate: Short transfers on good roads

Slate: long schleps on poor roads and then climb 20 hairpins to finish
snow conditions
Thomasski wrote:

+1

Slate: Stansted Airport...

Throw Grenoble in with Stansted!
ski holidays
Rate, Blizzard Bonafide skis, Marmot Spire shell clothing, Solutions for Feet boot fitting, skiing whole seasons.
Slate, lift queues (Paradiski Paris weeks!), French beer prices.
snow report
86tomw wrote:

Slate Reusch gloves. Not waterproof at all and after a week, stank so badly I couldn't wear them again; it got so bad that my hands still stank of them the next day after a shower and several trips to the washbasin.

Mine are fine after 2 BBs. Different model maybe?
latest report
Rate. Decathlon gear for socks, bags, thermals, accessories. Surprisingly good quality stuff at great prices. Frees up cash for the core equipment and trips

Also rate people with a good attitude. There may not have been powder everywhere in feb but snow cover was good and you can still have fun

Slate
The lift queue divvies... Why oh why do people have to smash their skis and poles into my board? I wait my turn, I'm patient but at times I swear skiers were doing it on purpose
latest report
This:

Quote:

Also rate people with a good attitude. There may not have been powder everywhere in feb but snow cover was good and you can still have fun

Slate
The lift queue divvies... Why oh why do people have to smash their skis and poles into my board? I wait my turn, I'm patient but at times I swear skiers were doing it on purpose

Also,
Rate: my new Never Summer Funslinger - what a board! Mons Royale thermals. Falke SB socks.
Slate: Ski school teachers teaching their kids bad habits (not looking before setting off, not waiting turns in the park, etc)
snow report
Rate: Oakley rose prizm lenses (again). Hestra gloves, being up a mountain with a white surface to slide on. Merino anything. Smiley people. Singles lines in lift queues. Manchester gin. BBR's! Yes. Typo snowboard.

Slate: Ditherers (again). Mates who won't go sliding with me when they said they would causing me to miss my second week's sliding this season, (probably comes under ditherers actually). Chalet wine. February in France. Knackered knees.

Sure there's more!
snow report
@bobcat, rate +1 for OutdoorMaster Goggles....bargain direct from their website with no postage!
Slate - 2 man chair lift over to Marmolada from Corvara (can't remember number).....sure i was there for an hour!!
snow report
Rate
I agree that a lot of the decathlon stuff is great.
Slate
Package holidays that involve getting up at stupid O'clock particularly coming home.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Rate
I agree that a lot of the decathlon stuff is great.
Slate
Package holidays that involve getting up at stupid O'clock particularly coming home.

I actually enjoy putting the DIY trips together, which leads me to:

Rate. Easyjet website is the best of the budget airlines in my experience

Slate: Geneva Airport. Should be such a slicker user experience than it is
snow report
@johndiamond,
I agree my tour operator stupid o'Clock are fortunately things of the past.
ski holidays
Rate: first direct. A company that understands what customer service actually means.

Slate: Mercedes UK, for repeatedly withdrawing from an agreement, both times in contravention of a signed contract. Never again.
snow report
Rate: Norrona, Whitedot, ABS, Ski Arlberg, Swiss and Lufthansa, The Piste Office, Oakley Prizms

Slate: Ski tour operators, gung-ho idiots on the slopes, seasonaires who don't respect the country/ area they are working in, people who dont try speak the language they are visiting even if its a please/ thankyou, rip off French slopeside restaurants.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 7-03-19 13:41; edited 2 times in total
latest report
johndiamond wrote:
Slate

It never bothered me when I was renting (obviously), but I have taken to occasionally carrying my board through the gates and clipping my right foot in immediately after that. Much less prone to getting caught by others (be they skiers or boarders) then.

RATE: Anon M3 MFI goggles for both the easy-change lens and the facemask that attaches to the goggles.Paired with a thin Merino beanie under my helmet.
How I ever boarded without my head almost entirely hidden from the elements, I have no idea Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rate: Lovely lovely Snowheads. If it wasn't for you guys (and especially fixx) then I never would have gotten out on the snow at all, having a husband with zero interest in any of it.

Slate: My inability to find padded shorts that actually help with the fact that I still fall over a LOT, and HARD. Feel like I need an airbag, or something.
snow report
Rate: Long ski weekends, long steep carvers, tree-lined pistes, proper apres ski (4pm-7pm), anything merino

Slate: Lack of flight options from Ireland and Belfast in particular, the unpredictability of snow conditions, hangovers, insufficient annual leave
ski holidays
Quote:

They have a lifetime guarantee on socks as well - can just take the disgusting old ones into a shop when they fall apart and get a new set

Well that's me set for ski socks for my life Happy
snow report
DonardFlump wrote:
Rate: Long ski weekends, long steep carvers, tree-lined pistes, proper apres ski (4pm-7pm), anything merino

Slate: Lack of flight options from Ireland and Belfast in particular, the unpredictability of snow conditions, hangovers, insufficient annual leave

Flying out of Dublin with an Irish Passport to an EU country, could well end up being something to rate.
latest report
Rate: Having parents living in Paris. There's something lovely about getting the train down to the Alps, seeing the first patches of snow, etc. Makes for more relaxed travelling than flying, too.

Slate: Cheap Chinese ski gloves. My (Chinese) wife got me a pair one year after my older gloves had given up the ghost. By day 2 most of the seams had split, and I ended up having to buy a 5 euro sewing kit in the local supermarket to keep them reasonably usable until the end of the holiday. Promptly binned thereafter.
snow report
Forgot.....Slate: Brexit
ski holidays
Rate: Plus one for IceBreaker and while we're at it First direct

Slate: 5 or 6 Groups of six skiers / snowboarders that come to ski off piste in our resort Laughing Laughing Laughing

And on a more serious note, as per the OP, feckin Sports Direct!!!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-03-19 19:12; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Slate: Cancer
Rate: Beating it!
ski holidays
86tomw wrote:
Rate Picture jackets and trousers. Comfortable, nice fit, look good, not too hot, get compliments off pretty girls and to top it off, are recycled.

My Picture jacket must be defective then.

Rate: Snowheads, Aramada ARV 106s, Smith I/OX with low light lenses, any time I'm in the mountains and sliding.

Slate: Rain, lift queues, people that don't fill empty space on lifts. GVA security queues, not being able to ski for a living
snow conditions
Slate; Brits who cry and whinge about T - bars. Rate areas of easy access powder that the whingers therefore leave!
snow conditions
Rate : Amazon firestick.
Slate : French tv.
ski holidays
spacetrucker wrote:
Slate : French tv.

You’ve clearly never watched Les Princes D’Amour or Zig & Sharko then.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy