Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt early season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am thinking of heading to Zermatt in the first week of December this year.

COVID restrictions aside, what are conditions normally like this early?

I am aware you can ski on the glacier year round, but what proportion of the wider pistes are likely to be open at this point?

Alternatively, any other ideas for a first week of December trip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cav, even in Zermatt (glacier aside) early december can be tricky for natural snow. And, especially in Zermatt: dark and cold.
Most important advice: don’t book anything; early december you can easily wait last minute, and choose the best spot in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most important advice: don’t book anything; early december you can easily wait last minute, and choose the best spot in the Alps.[/quote]
+1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The PSB springs to mind.....
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155471
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bob wrote:
Most important advice: don’t book anything; early december you can easily wait last minute, and choose the best spot in the Alps.

+1[/quote]

Thanks Langerzug and Bob for the tip.

I think I will book flights to Geneva for that weekend since they are currently round £50, then hopefully grab some accommodation nearer the time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Quote:

The PSB springs to mind.....
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155471

I'm still 50/50 on whether France will be open this winter! Should be fine for UK citizens to travel, but whether they are in lockdown or not is another matter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Verbier gives you a free skipass for the day on the Weekend of the feast of St.Nicholas (Dec.6th) if you're dressed in a Father Christmas outfit. A SnowHead did this in 1919 and the discussion around the logistics etc. is here. He got the train from GVA to Le Chable and stayed at the hostel there. The railway station, hostel and lift up to Verbier are all in the same building complex. If your budget is more generous, you might prefer to stay in Verbier itself. There's also a hostel in the Ruinettes Station, on piste, but you'd obviously need to arrive while the lifts were running (the link is in the thread).

We usually go out to prep our apartment in early December and I would have to be honest and say that the snow conditions vary a lot pre-Christmas, so you need to be realistic. Also, Téléverbier don't open-up the whole area - usually around 25%-35% of the ski area is open. Even if the snow is great, the lift company will leave the majority of the area closed to preserve it for Christmas/New Year. But that will be true of most places.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LaForet wrote:
Verbier gives you a free skipass for the day on the Weekend of the feast of St.Nicholas (Dec.6th) if you're dressed in a Father Christmas outfit. A SnowHead did this in 1919 and the discussion around the logistics etc. is here. He got the train from GVA to Le Chable and stayed at the hostel there. The railway station, hostel and lift up to Verbier are all in the same building complex. If your budget is more generous, you might prefer to stay in Verbier itself. There's also a hostel in the Ruinettes Station, on piste, but you'd obviously need to arrive while the lifts were running (the link is in the thread).

We usually go out to prep our apartment in early December and I would have to be honest and say that the snow conditions vary a lot pre-Christmas, so you need to be realistic. Also, Téléverbier don't open-up the whole area - usually around 25%-35% of the ski area is open. Even if the snow is great, the lift company will leave the majority of the area closed to preserve it for Christmas/New Year. But that will be true of most places.

Thanks, we normally stay in airbnbs – have done this in Verbier several times.

Thanks for the link! I will probably pass on the santa outfit though Wink

I will take the advice from the posters above and wait until a bit closer to the time – going to book my Geneva flights now while they're cheap and then get accomodation wherever it looks like conditions are going to be best.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kronplatz is normally open by then.
It’s reliant on snowmaking but most years it is usually in the top 10 in terms of Kms of open piste and numbers of lifts running in early December.
It’ll only be partially open but the chance of getting decent weather and no lift closures is usually higher there than the much more exposed glacier resorts.
It’ll also be cheaper Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
Kronplatz is normally open by then.
It’s reliant on snowmaking but most years it is usually in the top 10 in terms of Kms of open piste and numbers of lifts running in early December.
It’ll only be partially open but the chance of getting decent weather and no lift closures is usually higher there than the much more exposed glacier resorts.
It’ll also be cheaper Cool

Thanks for the tip!

Could be wrong but am thinking Switzerland is the most likely to be open re travel restrictions, followed by France, and then Italy seems a bit less likely?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet,
Quote:

A SnowHead did this in 1919 and the discussion around the logistics etc

who would have thought the T'internet had been around for that long, or the snowhead is still around to advise after all these years Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
terrygasson wrote:
@LaForet,
Quote:

A SnowHead did this in 1919 and the discussion around the logistics etc

who would have thought the T'internet had been around for that long, or the snowhead is still around to advise after all these years Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

i did think this seemed like a long while ago Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy