Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking young Kids out of school for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
So it is a report and conclusion based on a single year - 2013/14' s KS 4 results, yet they have applied the absence data from not just the primary school years, but also the years leading up to KS4 -

"from 2010/11,2011/12, 2012/13, and 2013/14 has been used to calculate overall absence rates"

It stands to reason that absences in the years immediately preceding the GCSE year will have a greater impact on the end result than say missing a week of KS1 or Year 5.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 5 year old's school recorded mine and his mum's wedding as unauthorised!!

The fact that it was in Saalbach was irrelevant.

They said they would report us for a fine, until I pointed out he was under compulsory school age (due to his birthdate) - they didn't know what I was on about and had to look it up.

"Well, don't do it again" they said.

"What, get married?" I said.

And the whole school cheered.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tbf the situation is now very different to 10m ago, there was very little covid about last August, everyone had been outdoors & holidaying in open spaces, come September when schools went back, there was a massive surge of covid that got worse a month later when unis went back, at this point, no one was vaccinated and thousands of people died as a result of kids going back to school/college.

There is currently another massive surge in covid cases due to various reasons but most of the vulnerable part of the population is vaccinated and deaths are far lower than they were last Autumn, current death rate from covid is about 0.2%, it was 1.2% before vaccinations began.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

New cases taking off from the beginning of September and currently
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Deaths taking off about mid September last year, 14 days after the new cases started to rise but currently, no big increase in deaths from the current rise in new cases, the vaccination program is doing its job.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon,
Not quite sure there is an established link between schools and COVID deaths?
As a non-scientific counterpoint, in BC the schools were online in April and May 2020, the rest of the time in person. Death rate in BC was much lower than UK. Whilst clearly not a normal school year, having some semblance of normality for the kids (and their parents!) and not screwing up their future was a really good thing - hats off to the teachers, staff, and government who made this work.

oh and back on topic... my sons school has skiing as an elective, so it seems being out of school for skiing is encouraged snowHead wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth,

Covid taking off in Canada due to the end of summer or kids going back to school?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tangowaggon,

Any evidence to link those?
By the way Ontario and Quebec mostly stayed online and numbers "took off" there too at about the same time. And also by the way they went back to school in BC in June 2020 - perhaps you could plot that point on your chart?
BC government maintained that the numbers didn't point to significant school related transmission (and they have more detailed ones than your charts I suspect)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stuarth, The graphs are the only evidence I present, they are not my own, the data appears to be collated by Wikipedia from various sources.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doccam wrote:
With my son self-isolating at home from school for the third time from a virus he hasn’t got and even if he did would shake off in a few days, his and his older sister’s GCSE and A-Level years annihilated by state enforced absences running to not days but months, all with barely any proper debate (except maybe now but let’s see where that goes) about the harm that is causing a generation of children, where does that leave the argument that even a day of term time skiing is a wilful harming of our children’s education?

Great point! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
Doccam wrote:
With my son self-isolating at home from school for the third time from a virus he hasn’t got and even if he did would shake off in a few days, his and his older sister’s GCSE and A-Level years annihilated by state enforced absences running to not days but months, all with barely any proper debate (except maybe now but let’s see where that goes) about the harm that is causing a generation of children, where does that leave the argument that even a day of term time skiing is a wilful harming of our children’s education?

Great point! Very Happy Very Happy

Er...then maybe they need all the schooling they can get now?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is of course the case that a few more days lost in the current climate is neither here nor there.

It's also the case that in normal times, parents who WANT to take their kids out to save a ton of money, are also CERTAIN they learn more culturally, and suffer no ill effects.

As for headteachers (in Wales anyway), there is NO latitude for granting a holiday as 'authorised', however much they may want to.

A pupil with a 90% attendance rate has lost 95 hours of taught time. Teacher-bashers (though I know there are none on SH Very Happy ) would be queuing up to complain to heads if little Tamsin lost 95 hours due to Mr Bloggs' sick record.

Just a view...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Attendance is very important but I feel consistent attendance and punctuality should be rewarded with perhaps one week authorised absence per calendar year.

This could be /is the difference between many, many families affording/ not affording a vitally important family holiday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Attendance is very important but I feel consistent attendance and punctuality should be rewarded with perhaps one week authorised absence per calendar year.

This could be /is the difference between many, many families affording/ not affording a vitally important family holiday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charliegolf wrote:
A pupil with a 90% attendance rate has lost 95 hours of taught time. Teacher-bashers (though I know there are none on SH Very Happy ) would be queuing up to complain to heads if little Tamsin lost 95 hours due to Mr Bloggs' sick record.

Just a view...

That's 19 days off though, which would make for a hell of a ski trip but isn't what most family trips entail. 1 week off is over 97% attendance rate.
ski holidays
Brooky wrote:

This is my view and argument too.

All three of my kids are bright, are in top sets for Maths, English, triple award science, etc, with excellent attendance. They only have time off if they are properly ill, which is almost never. I don't think a week out of school to ski will do them any damage whatsover.
snow report
@Timmycb5, completely agree, I would like to think most of us value education & we are not taking kids out to damage their education. I would even be willing to guess that some of these kids that are getting taken out do extra school work in normal school holidays.
Unfortunately people are not allowed to think for themselves as some frankly can't & we are all treated like children
ski holidays
You can't have one rule for one child and another rule for others.
ski holidays
There was a case on the local news a couple of years ago. A family with 4 children. Ages 6-15. 3 different schools, but the lower ones were feeders for the next.

None of the Schools had the same end of term holidays. Even the summer holidays started and ended different weeks.

Planning holidays was a nightmare for them. To go away at any school holiday meant that at least one of them had to be taken out of school, resulting in a fine. It was always the youngest that had time off, as they, reasonably, concluded this would have less effect on overall education.

Last I heard, the local MP was on the case regarding the fines.

Surely, it would make sense, and be easy to coordinate locally, to have the same holidays? There must surely be tens of thousands of siblings that this could affect?

There was once a time, when most schools were run by local authorities, that school breaks were coordinated. Now they are more independent, the system seems to be broken. Maybe it's time for some official body to oversea this sort of situation again?
snow report
@brianatab, all I can say is that we have a 3 school system and all seem to pretty much follow the standard holiday pattern (set at county level I believe).

I always thought it was private schools that tended to have the biggest variation.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@brianatab, all I can say is that we have a 3 school system and all seem to pretty much follow the standard holiday pattern (set at county level I believe).

I always thought it was private schools that tended to have the biggest variation.

The problems the academy’s they don’t have to follow the LEAs dates. I ended up one year getting very excited when my eldest secondary school holiday dates gave her a full week off before Christmas but then checked youngest and she had to be in school upto the Thursday (ie breaking up a full 6 calendar days later) Sad. My youngest is autistic, dyslexic and dyspraxic so certainly was then very behind academically so I was not going to take her out of school even though she was in Juniors.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
You can't have different rule for different people, but you could have a rule that says the head can authorise 5-10 days absence if the child's absence record is otherwise exemplary. Like it used to be.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Layne wrote:
You can't have different rule for different people, but you could have a rule that says the head can authorise 5-10 days absence if the child's absence record is otherwise exemplary. Like it used to be.

That was the case for many years, probably half of my headship time. Then it changed.
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Layne wrote:

That was the case for many years, probably half of my headship time. Then it changed.

I remember when it was brought it. I was vice chair of governors at my kids school. A year or two before it became the rule, our school wanted to introduce it anyway. I voted against it on the grounds that it would mean some families simply wouldn't be able to afford foreign holidays, and that was likely to be more detrimental in those cases than missing a few days of school.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Layne wrote:

I remember when it was brought it. I was vice chair of governors at my kids school. A year or two before it became the rule, our school wanted to introduce it anyway. I voted against it on the grounds that it would mean some families simply wouldn't be able to afford foreign holidays, and that was likely to be more detrimental in those cases than missing a few days of school.

My wife was a Governor. Some parents just took the wee wee. Didn't get permission, went away for 3-4 weeks, that sort of thing. Hence it's better to have a blanket ban and fines.
snow report
@Layne, yes some families do take the wee wee quite a lot. My wife is an attendance officer and some of the stories are shocking.

I don’t see why a blanket ban is needed though. Especially if you have a strict criteria to even be consider eligible for authorised absence. If, say, your child’s attendance was lower that 97%, you would be eligible and slapped with a fine if you took them out. If your child was on 99 or 100% they why shouldn’t the head have discretion to authorise a week in the right circumstances?
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
I don’t see why a blanket ban is needed though. Especially if you have a strict criteria to even be consider eligible for authorised absence. If, say, your child’s attendance was lower that 97%, you would be eligible and slapped with a fine if you took them out. If your child was on 99 or 100% they why shouldn’t the head have discretion to authorise a week in the right circumstances?

Is that %age per term, year, school lifetime? What %age are you going to set and why. If I have 100% can I take a day, a week, a fortnight off? What happens if a child has 100% attendance but their work is below par or they are misbehaving in school? It's a can of worms.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Is that %age per term, year, school lifetime? What %age are you going to set and why. If I have 100% can I take a day, a week, a fortnight off? What happens if a child has 100% attendance but their work is below par or they are misbehaving in school? It's a can of worms.

Yes I can see why it's a can of worms, which is why it should still be down to the Head's discretion.

It's not particularly fair on the pupils (like my kids), who have 100% attendance, behave well and have very high grades though is it? They aren't allowed a week out to something culturally and physically enriching without getting slapped with a fine, when the oik down the road has every other Tuesday off because he doesn't like RE, and nothing is done about it.

I suppose it's the way everything in schools work. The kids that are well behaved and get on with things are totally ignored and overlooked whilst the little 5h!ts who are always disruptive and badly behaved get treated like royalty on the one day a year they behave normally.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Yes I can see why it's a can of worms, which is why it should still be down to the Head's discretion.

I should imagine head's are more than happy this burden is not placed on them.

Timmycb5 wrote:
It's not particularly fair on the pupils (like my kids), who have 100% attendance, behave well and have very high grades though is it? They aren't allowed a week out to something culturally and physically enriching without getting slapped with a fine, when the oik down the road has every other Tuesday off because he doesn't like RE, and nothing is done about it.

I suppose it's the way everything in schools work. The kids that are well behaved and get on with things are totally ignored and overlooked whilst the little 5h!ts who are always disruptive and badly behaved get treated like royalty on the one day a year they behave normally.

I don't think that is true or fair.
snow report
@Timmycb5, one thing having a dyslexic, autistic and dyspraxic daughter has taught me, is that children which could be described like you have described them, are children whose needs are not being met.

I have no doubts if I had left my daughter at the infants school in year one where her needs were most definitely not acknowledged or understood, she would have been seriously acting out at school (not just as soon as she was with me) as well.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
which is why it should still be down to the Head's discretion.

Leaves it too open to favouritism, bias, abuse - whatever you want to call it.
ski holidays
@Layne, I’m afraid it is absolutely true. The kids who were badly behaved in my kids school all seem to have managed to achieved “gold” awards by the time they left, whilst those who consistently achieved well throughout their entire school career (not just my kids, btw) were left languishing on silver because they weren’t rewarded for normal behaviour like the naughty kids.

I understand the need to encourage the badly behaved, but when the well behaved kids begin to notice that being good doesn’t get you anywhere, it’s gone too far. And they DID notice.

@NickyJ, I’m not talking about kids with genuine needs. Our school was pretty good at supporting those kids with what they need and I wouldn’t dream to begrudge that. I have two autistic nephews and understand the extra support that can be needed.

I’m talking about kids who don’t have those needs, but who nonetheless are just badly behaved.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

@NickyJ, I’m not talking about kids with genuine needs. Our school was pretty good at supporting those kids with what they need and I wouldn’t dream to begrudge that. I have two autistic nephews and understand the extra support that can be needed.

I’m talking about kids who don’t have those needs, but who nonetheless are just badly behaved.

The infants school completely missed her SEN needs, we had no idea what was going on but knew something was not right. I was told to my face quite a number of times she “was not SEN”. She now has an EHCP in place which, it sounds like you know, that is no mean feet! The adjacent Juniors school were struggling very badly with a good numbers of children who were badly acting out, they were sadly those with additional needs who were similarly missed by the same school as my daughter but parents did not have the wherewithal to pull their kids out and move to independent for a while like I was exceedingly lucky to be able to do. My eldest suffered due to this if hadn’t been in the situation I was I would have thought similar to yourself.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, though I do know there were other parents who when suggested they should be referred to CAMHS for assessment refused as they didn’t want to have their kids labelled/ admit it to themselves. I do loose sympathy then, as it is much better to understand what is happening and get the adjustments made.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Layne, I’m afraid it is absolutely true. The kids who were badly behaved in my kids school all seem to have managed to achieved “gold” awards by the time they left, whilst those who consistently achieved well throughout their entire school career (not just my kids, btw) were left languishing on silver because they weren’t rewarded for normal behaviour like the naughty kids.

I understand the need to encourage the badly behaved, but when the well behaved kids begin to notice that being good doesn’t get you anywhere, it’s gone too far. And they DID notice.

Not sure if it's the same thing exactly but that silver/gold or stamps stuff is not to be taken too seriously in the three schools my kids have been to.

Anyhow, we digress.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy