Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Chalets in Italy with Crystal Season 19/20?

Poster: A snowHead
Answering my own question - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3375330#3375330
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I cannot understand the constant vitriol directed to people that are trying to live as a vegan. If we were all vegan and all considered the environment more than this planet may not be heading for extinction.

It is going to take a bit more than a few Quorn burgers to save the world Frosty.

(I don't eat meat btw but I don't consider myself a veggie either).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ghost Dog wrote:
Says a lot about veganism in the Dolomites that no-one has made any suggestions yet. I've found the Hotel Panorama in Campitello which does claim to do vegan and I've emailed to see if any availability. The Flora has confirmed rooms available so at least I have a plan.

You need to develop some patience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bar shaker wrote:
Q. How do you find out if someone is vegan?

A. No need, they will tell you.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
hudds7--Puzzle? If vegans, veggies dislike meat so much, why are they always making things that look, feel, taste, smell, or in many other ways a meat substitute?

Humans are omnivores. We are genetically evolved to eat meat.

Makes it easier for those of us who like meat but try to eat less/none of it for whatever reason.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am a veggie and have been since a child 'cos I don't like meat, taste ,texture. And wont eat "veggie" stuff that is made to look like and taste like meat. No moral or religious reasons and would be happy to cook whatever your choice of meat is, you will have to taste for seasoning etc. We aren't all evangelists.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
hudds7--Puzzle? If vegans, veggies dislike meat so much, why are they always making things that look, feel, taste, smell, or in many other ways a meat substitute?

Humans are omnivores. We are genetically evolved to eat meat.

haha
You reckon somebody invented Quorn nuggets just so vegetarians could pretend to eat “normal” food?
Not a food scientist myself but I’m guessing Quorn nuggets are still marginally better health wise than mechanically recovered chicken.
Just don’t be disappointed if you cannot find Quorn recipes in a vegetarian cookbook. They usually just feature vegetables, grains and pulses. Weirdos eh?
Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
prometheus wrote:
I don't like meat, taste ,texture
Shocked
However with current population levels it is selfish to consume the quantities of meat we eat. The planet can't sustain it. Skullie
Insects can provide protein with a fraction of green house has production. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crystal seem to have 2 chalets on their website in the Val di Fassa next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Until a few years ago Esprit had several "family" chalets in Selva (sleeping 6-24 people). They all disappeared in the space of a year. When I questioned it they blamed some changes to local legislation that meant they could no longer get a license for catered chalets. Apparently hotels/chalet-hotels were ok, but there was no category covering smaller chalets. Never found out whether that was really the case, but maybe Crystal are experiencing something similar?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a meat-eater but I don't see why, if someone is paying for accommodation, they shouldn't be able to get any of a range of dietary preferences, including Vegan? Any decent chef should be able to handle this. It is reasonable to ask for advance notice as ingredients may need to be bought in advance (although even on demand, most capable chefs should be able to handle it). I wonder if this is more to do with wafer-thin margins for low-end chalets meaning that they don't employ experienced, qualified chefs able to cope with such demands?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaForet wrote:
I'm a meat-eater but I don't see why, if someone is paying for accommodation, they shouldn't be able to get any of a range of dietary preferences, including Vegan? Any decent chef should be able to handle this. It is reasonable to ask for advance notice as ingredients may need to be bought in advance (although even on demand, most capable chefs should be able to handle it). I wonder if this is more to do with wafer-thin margins for low-end chalets meaning that they don't employ experienced, qualified chefs able to cope with such demands?

Skied St Anton over Half Term week with big family group in a chalet. Three vegetarians which the booking agent hadn’t notified to the holiday provider until the day before. We apologised to the two chalet hosts about this but they said, fine, no problem ... vegetarians no issue at all. Vegans slightly more difficult but no real problem with notice. Only significant dietary problem from a chef’s perspective, they said, was gluten intolerance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Interesting -- there was none when I looked a couple of weeks ago.. :: Maybe, as the OP said, more will appear later in the year......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m veggie and stayed at the Hotel Armin in Selva several times. Five course meal every night and they offered me a choice for each course.

I reckon if you emailed them in advance to check out they would get back to you to let you know if they can do vegan option.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Yup, and I'm booked into one of them Smile

Their Glasgow call centre staff clearly know nothing. I called to as why no chalets this year and they faffed about and then told me they weren't offering them this year. A week later they were on the website. Numpties.

I should have trusted the rep (wait a minute, what am I saying!) who told me the contracts with the chalet owners are always agreed after the hotel ones.
latest report
Blackblade wrote:
Only significant dietary problem from a chef’s perspective, they said, was gluten intolerance.
At the EoSB one year, I arranged a group deal in Jean Sulpice's 2 Michelin Star restaurant.
We filled all 63 places and even had them bring in a couple of extra chairs (for which they apologised because they didn't match the others).
In all the fuss, trying to get everyone catered for, I completely forgot to mention that we had a proper celiac in our midst. Being a very organised celiac, she just double checked with me on arrival that I'd done what I ought to... "OMG, no... ah, I'll see what can be done Confused "
I notified the head waiter who looked justifiably concerned then disappeared into the kitchen.
He was back 2mins later: "It's OK, Jean says there is no gluten in this menu anyway."

Whoda thought?
snow report
admin wrote:
"It's OK, Jean says there is no gluten in this menu anyway."

Wot, no sliced baguette? Shocked

That's a sign of food made from scratch, as it's often the sauces/flavourings etc that are the culprits.
ski holidays
Laughing you don't get 2 stars for defrosting ready meals Wink

Generally they'll announce your food with details of the actual farmer who produced it. Anything over eight inches tall is introduced by name Wink
snow report
Is this thread about veganism or chalets in Italy??? Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

Interesting thought. I assume that animal fertilisers are not needed to grow any sort of crops. Most of the UKs arable farms are just that .... purely arable, and haven't been grazed by cattle or wildebeest for centuries.

Thy may never have been grazed by animals, but animal fertilisers are spread over the fields. It is known as muck spreading. You may be shocked to discover that one animal in particular supplies quite a bit of this - humans. It is known as sewage sludge.
snow report
Just go self catering
snow report
JohnE. Just to reassure you the human sludge is treated according to the British Retail Consortium matrix which requires it achieves certain pathogen killing parts of the process. On the other hand animal waste is spread untreated.
ski holidays
Just happened on this thread and saw early posts knocking chalet hotels and their patrons. As a multi-timer in mark warner years ago I just loved the concept.
Hotels , I find, leave people sticking to themselves and awkward silence at meals . Self catering I find insular.
Chalet Hotels fill the bill nicely and in the best days gave compatible ski groups too.
snow report
@Farley Goode, and there you have it. If it fits the bill, go with it, if it doesn't don't. Simple. Stop whining if it's not your thing.
snow conditions
hudds7 wrote:
Maybe, but there are far more qualified people about who make a compelling argument about the health, ethical and environmental reasons for a plant based diet.
Ultimately you should eat what you want. I'm not part of the Vegan Taliban trying to forcibly convert you!

Story for you, last week my wife took Welshcakes into the office for St David's Day. Later that morning Cath overheard one woman telling another that she didn't like "vegan food" because it doesn't taste very nice. (An apparent expert in these matters.)
Guess who ate the most?
And yes they were vegan.
Moral of the story if a vegan friend invites you over for a meal then you are probably quite safe; they are not trying to kill you...
rolling eyes
And finally if anybody knows of an Italian chalet, hotel or chalet hotel even that offers good vegan food please share the information. After all there's more than one Vegan in the Village Laughing

The Alpen Hotel Panorama in Campitello claims to serve Vegan Delights. The Flora in Selva did a pretty good job for my son a couple of years ago, the Hotel Stores in San Cassiano boasts about it vegan food and the la Vimea in Naturno is a 100% vegan. With the exceptiono f the Flora, these are all fully booked for NY and expensive. Crystal do a perfectly acceptable vegan menu in their chalets and they are (relatively) cheap. So back to Chalet Violetta in Canazei for us.
ski holidays
@largeyorkshireman,
The reason why Ski Esprit/Ski Total dropped their Italian chalets (not just in Val Gardena but everywhere in Italy) was that Italian licencing and/or hospitality legislation does not acknowledge the concept of the catered chalet.
Self catering - yes,
bed & breakfast - yes,
chalet hotel (for the benefit of those who don't know the concept, a hotel run by the TO) - yes,
full service hotel - yes,
a simple chalet - NO!
And they found this out when a new in resort, German speaking, chalet host went to the tourist office to pay the tourist tax. Ten days later all closed (except for one which changed to a bed & breakfast with "optional dinner"

Sorry it's taken me so long to drop this gem onto the forum - I was using "search" to find something else!!
latest report
What would the difference be (licensing wise) between an all-inclusive hotel and a chalet?
snow conditions
Nemisis wrote:
@largeyorkshireman,
The reason why Ski Esprit/Ski Total dropped their Italian chalets (not just in Val Gardena but everywhere in Italy) was that Italian licencing and/or hospitality legislation does not acknowledge the concept of the catered chalet.
Self catering - yes,
bed & breakfast - yes,
chalet hotel (for the benefit of those who don't know the concept, a hotel run by the TO) - yes,
full service hotel - yes,
a simple chalet - NO!
And they found this out when a new in resort, German speaking, chalet host went to the tourist office to pay the tourist tax. Ten days later all closed (except for one which changed to a bed & breakfast with "optional dinner"

Sorry it's taken me so long to drop this gem onto the forum - I was using "search" to find something else!!

There are still a few catered chalets running in Italy. The Italian authorities did change legislation though that the chalets had to conform to hotel-like regulations in terms of fire, safety, provision of food etc. This made it almost impossible to run them with a profit, especially for the smaller ones. So I guess they view a catered chalet as tiny hotel. It also varied, and I believe it still does, depending on the geographical governing jurisdiction. So you could have a catered chalet in one resort (just as an example Selva, but then they are not allowed in say Corvara).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy