Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Chalets in Italy with Crystal Season 19/20?

Poster: A snowHead
Was hoping to book a Chalet in Val di Fassa or Selva for New Year (mainly as when I was there this year the staff were doing a good job of rustling up a vegan menu and I have a vegan offspring) but nothing on the Crystal website for next season. Reps in resort suggested to me that chalets are added later but a call to Crystal confirmed no plans to offer next year. Has the Chalet model had its day

It's a pain, as the Hotel in Campitello I stayed in 2 weeks ago thought fish was a vegetable, I would have no confidence in them producing vegan food. The Crystal hotel offer at what I consider affordable is pretty dire TBH. May well DIY as I usually do, but two very cheap package holidays this season (compared to slogging through snow to Mayrhofen at NY) where I didn't have to drive or change flights has made me lazy Smile

Anyone with suggestions for a hotel in Val Gardena/Val di Fassa who can cope with a vegan? I've stayed at the Flora in Selva twice, first time they were great, second time no so much (which was odd as I'm sure it was the same chef).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Says a lot about veganism in the Dolomites that no-one has made any suggestions yet. I've found the Hotel Panorama in Campitello which does claim to do vegan and I've emailed to see if any availability. The Flora has confirmed rooms available so at least I have a plan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ghost Dog, I wasn’t aware that Italy really went in for the chalet model anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Esprit, Total, Crystal and Inghams all had chalets in Selva and Crystal in Canazei. Total/Inghams/Esprit still have Chalet Hotels in Cortina, Gressoney, Champoluc and one Chalet in Selva (down from a previous 4).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ghost Dog, Interesting - I knew there were some chalets outside of France but I'd always thought that they were very much the exception to the rule. Maybe the Brexit uncertainty means that they don't want to take the (staffing) risk this season until everything settles down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Ghost Dog, I wasn’t aware that Italy really went in for the chalet model anyway.

or faddy eaters
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

or faddy eaters
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ghost Dog,

1. that's not a lot of resorts with chalets and many are "chalet hotels" (what the f does that mean anyway? Crap Hotel?)

2. Italy really doesn't do vegan. (I mean, why would they? The steaks are soooooo gooood!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalet Hotels are very simple to understand if you have any concept of what either doe's.

As for fussy eaters. Whoops sorry. Non PC there. Stay at home and don't foist your ridiculous wants on others.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Man Of Lech, no, not really. I've never (since first encountering the concept in 1989) understood why you would want a chalet hotel.

The chalet idea originated with Erna Low effectively exporting the country house party idea into skiland.

So a chalet hotel is just even more strangers pretending to be interested in each others tall ski tales and two or more spotty callow teenagers just out of Cordon Bleu cooking instead of one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colletts
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Man Of Lech, no, not really. I've never (since first encountering the concept in 1989) understood why you would want a chalet hotel.

The chalet idea originated with Erna Low effectively exporting the country house party idea into skiland.

So a chalet hotel is just even more strangers pretending to be interested in each others tall ski tales and two or more spotty callow teenagers just out of Cordon Bleu cooking instead of one.

I guess they are usually cheaper than a proper hotel and if there is a chalet bore they are easier to avoid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hobbiteater wrote:
Colletts

Thought that they just put you into self catering or HB hotels? (Could be wrong, but all I've every had with them.)

Mind you, with fussy (or medically problematic) eaters, self catering could be the best option. Self cook or go out and find suitable/safe eating houses.

Will many catered chalets cope with just 1 person out of a group of several with a different or very restricted diet (genuine question)?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

I've never (since first encountering the concept in 1989) understood why you would want a chalet hotel.

If you're wary of foreign hotels and foreign cooking, or not confident dealing with non-english speakers then a Chalet Hotel looks like a decent option. And they're often cheaper than a hotel option (maybe because they're staffed by children).

Some of that is a bit of a fallacy nowadays - the level of english spoken in hotels overseas is generally excellent (imv), and food is likewise good.

Personally I'd always prefer to be elsewhere, but being a sunk cost run by a UK tour operator they're sometimes so cheap that I'm prepared to deal with them snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If you're wary of foreign hotels and foreign cooking, or not confident dealing with non-english speakers then a Chalet Hotel looks like a decent option.

If that's the sort of person chalet hotels attract I'm glad I've never been to one and will make sure I never do!
latest report
@Ghost Dog, Not for me, but I've seen good reviews for these guys. http://www.chaletrosiere.fr/the-vegan-detox. Mind you it is in France!!

You could always go self-catering and veg until you drop or tell offspring to man up, especially if you're paying the bills..
snow report
The level of ignorance shown in this thread re, lack of knowledge about where chalets are, who staffs them, who uses them and the concept of chalet hotels is shocking. These various people who make such derogatory remarks must be like high court judges, maybe they are? Totally out of touch with the real world.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, I tend to agree with you. Having had 3 children under 3 and done the "Chalet" option with two other similarly burdened families which effectively meant 3 families, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 1 living/dining room, we vowed never again. The same well known UK family orientated ski company introduced us to the "Chalet Hotel" concept. Not much difference in terms of bedrooms but a much larger distance between adults and children at critical times of the day and a proper Bar! A similar experience a few years later when bought our campervan. No change in the kids but at least they were two metres further away from me when driving.

Chalet Hotels are not a one size fits all but generally they meet a market need. If you don't fit that dynamic then look elsewhere.
snow conditions
it appears that they have none in Austria either....
ski holidays
albob wrote:
it appears that they have none in Austria either....
I'm afraid they do mate. The Hochkonig even claims to be Austria's only certified "Vegan Region". https://www.hochkoenig.at/en/hotel-salzburg/accommodation-list/vegan-hotel.html and there's an entire website dedicated to the fussy bug***s: https://www.vegan-welcome.com/en/find-hotels/wintersports-with-vegan-food-options.html. Salzburgland has introduced "Meat Free" trains and transfers together with a Vegan Support network that meets in Flachau Altstadt every Friday (Fish Day) at 8pm.
ski holidays

Applies to Vegans too...
ski holidays
Perhaps a new section for those suffering from eating disorders on where they can stay and not have to eat like normal people is needed?
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
The level of ignorance shown in this thread re, lack of knowledge about where chalets are, who staffs them, who uses them and the concept of chalet hotels is shocking. These various people who make such derogatory remarks must be like high court judges, maybe they are? Totally out of touch with the real world.

No. I am afraid it's you who are perhaps painting the wrong picture.

For reference I worked in a chalet company for two years and owned one for a year... I know very well of what I speak.
snow report
under a new name:- How so? There have been some wild statements on this. just for the record, I also know what I'm talking about having now done 14 winter season in Switzerland, France, Austria, USA & Canada. Hotel manager, Chalet Manager, Resort Manager. In almost every case the staff were trained well and worked conscientiously for the most part.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, you have been lucky. I have seen some quite extraordinary things... (I would say that none of them were courtesy of either my colleagues nor my employess).

I am only pointing out that any statement I make is not borne of ignorance.

And I still don't understand the appeal Chalet Hotels.
snow conditions
Maybe one-day all the people still eating chlorine-washed American chickens and plastic contaminated animal body parts will be the ones at the butt end of this side-splitting banter. Assuming of course they haven't all gorged themselves into extinction. Very Happy
Just saying...
snow conditions
@hudds7, you could eat free range chicken, or grass fed beef, not eating meat is one thing, but the whole nothing produced by an animal is just nuts..... Laughing
snow report
@panaga52,

I was replying to the OP - i.e. that Crystal have no (at the moment..) chalets in Italy for next year. Their website has no Chalets in Austria either..

Apologies for the confusion Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe, but there are far more qualified people about who make a compelling argument about the health, ethical and environmental reasons for a plant based diet.
Ultimately you should eat what you want. I'm not part of the Vegan Taliban trying to forcibly convert you!

Story for you, last week my wife took Welshcakes into the office for St David's Day. Later that morning Cath overheard one woman telling another that she didn't like "vegan food" because it doesn't taste very nice. (An apparent expert in these matters.)
Guess who ate the most?
And yes they were vegan.
Moral of the story if a vegan friend invites you over for a meal then you are probably quite safe; they are not trying to kill you...
rolling eyes
And finally if anybody knows of an Italian chalet, hotel or chalet hotel even that offers good vegan food please share the information. After all there's more than one Vegan in the Village Laughing
snow conditions
hudds7--Puzzle? If vegans, veggies dislike meat so much, why are they always making things that look, feel, taste, smell, or in many other ways a meat substitute?

Humans are omnivores. We are genetically evolved to eat meat.
ski holidays
I'm not surprised that crystal have dropped the Chalet Salven in Selva from their books. I was there last year and although perfectly functional was looking very tired. Also it had a truly treacherous path to get up to it. Having said that one couple there were on their 9th visit to the chalet.
ski holidays
I cannot understand the constant vitriol directed to people that are trying to live as a vegan. If we were all vegan and all considered the environment more than this planet may not be heading for extinction.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I cannot understand the constant vitriol directed to people that are trying to live as a vegan. If we were all vegan and all considered the environment more than this planet may not be heading for extinction.

I blame BREXIT. Apparently Brexiteers are more likely to eat meat.
snow conditions
In the great scheme of things, nothing humans do will prevent the planets extinction at some time. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
not quite true, if everyone was vegan, the area needed to grow all the food needed would need fertile, which would require animal matter of some sort. If it isn't profitable to farm animals nobody would keep them, then it would require chemicals, which in turn would be far more destructive. If there was more rotation in farming, and less intensive farming like in the usa, ( force fed beef on maize which has a shallow root system) the world would indeed be better off.
latest report
I certainly wouldn't recommend vitriol, but I think the main reason why people are so dismissive of veganism is that they see it, quite rightly IMO, as virtue-signalling faddish nonsense. The environmental argument would be a reasonable one if most vegans didn't drive cars and jump onto aeroplanes for exotic foreign holidays. The idea that wearing cotton or polyester is more environmentally friendly than wool is also a touch barking. I also think that many people dislike Vegans' intolerance. My local cafe had a vegan week last month and refused to serve coffee with anything other than soya 'milk' or almond 'milk' and they did this in the name of 'choice' apparently!

You also said, "If we were all vegan and all considered the environment more than this planet may not be heading for extinction.". I think the scientific comunity now seems pretty sure that it was the fact that we started eating meat (1.7m years ago) that enabled the sudden and dramatic expansion in the human brain. If we'd all stayed as vegans we'd probably still be living in the trees and grunting.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
not quite true, if everyone was vegan, the area needed to grow all the food needed would need fertile, which would require animal matter of some sort. If it isn't profitable to farm animals nobody would keep them, then it would require chemicals, which in turn would be far more destructive. If there was more rotation in farming, and less intensive farming like in the usa, ( force fed beef on maize which has a shallow root system) the world would indeed be better off.

I think the vegans will claim, with evidence, that neither animal manure nor artificial fertilisers are required to grow vegetables - and they do have a point about the resources required for, and the environmental impact of, meat (and dairy) production.

I'm a meat eater, but I'm starting to think that we will probably be better off in many ways if we eat less meat and consequently more veg.

Oh - and pet peeve about the use of the word "chemicals" as in your post. It's all chemicals - you, me, animal manure, vegan sausages or fillet steak.
snow report
@agw,
Quote:

I think the vegans will claim, with evidence, that neither animal manure nor artificial fertilisers are required to grow vegetables

Interesting thought. I assume that animal fertilisers are not needed to grow any sort of crops. Most of the UKs arable farms are just that .... purely arable, and haven't been grazed by cattle or wildebeest for centuries. I'm 99% sure that the same would apply to vegetables too. On the other hand, you won't do that well growing veg in your garden without occasionally adding some sort of fertiliser - whether animal based of those evil chemicals.

One other point I've never really understood is how vegans feel it's OK to eat plants which have been treated with pesticides. Even organic farming uses pesticides (e.g. pyrethrin). Is it somehow OK for vegans to eat food that involves killing insects but not OK to eat food that involves killing rabbits/chickens/cattle etc.
snow report
Q. How do you find out if someone is vegan?

A. No need, they will tell you.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@agw,
Quote:

I think the vegans will claim, with evidence, that neither animal manure nor artificial fertilisers are required to grow vegetables

Interesting thought. I assume that animal fertilisers are not needed to grow any sort of crops. Most of the UKs arable farms are just that .... purely arable, and haven't been grazed by cattle or wildebeest for centuries. I'm 99% sure that the same would apply to vegetables too. On the other hand, you won't do that well growing veg in your garden without occasionally adding some sort of fertiliser - whether animal based of those evil chemicals.

One other point I've never really understood is how vegans feel it's OK to eat plants which have been treated with pesticides. Even organic farming uses pesticides (e.g. pyrethrin). Is it somehow OK for vegans to eat food that involves killing insects but not OK to eat food that involves killing rabbits/chickens/cattle etc.

Some vegans go so far as to eschew crops pollinated by migratory bee-keeping. Killing aphids etc. is OK though, I guess.

We're getting a bit OT, aren't we? Maybe a thread in the Après Zone would be a good idea?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy