Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice cruising pretty area march 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all it's been a few years since my Lst skiing holiday and I've nearly persuaded the hubby to go skiing 2nd week of march. We (well me) like to stay somewhere thT is close to the slopes, possible ski in or out, with nice blues to cruise around. Places we have been:
Niderau, Austria ~ before it was linked. Didn't particularly enjoy the skiing there as it was too small and blues were definitely not cruisey
Valmorel, France - loved it, great for cruising, not much scenery but still enjoyed it.
Les saisies, France ~ loved it, can't fault it
Saalbach, Austria ~ found the blues not very cruizey
Crest-Voland, France ~ loved it, again would go back
La Tania, France ~ really enjoyable, lovely cruise blues
La plane, France ~ enjoyed it
I
I am thinking about probably going back to either les saisies or crest voland but I just wondered are there any nice large ski areas that I haven't considered? I was wanting to maybe try a new area but is it a case of better the devil you know? I am also concerned that it may get slushy middle of march. Would love to hear opinions? Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Warth
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alta Badia in the dolomites, stay in corvara, colfosco or san cassiano and you'll be in cruiser blue paradise. Really really pretty too, the dolomites have amazing scenery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rcav has it spot on. Smashes all of your requirements out of the park.
Look no further.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rcav wrote:
Alta Badia in the dolomites, stay in corvara, colfosco or san cassiano and you'll be in cruiser blue paradise. Really really pretty too, the dolomites have amazing scenery.

This Euro novice has been to this area and agree it is the perfect spot for early intermediated that like cruising but I suspect March would be pushing it because of the varied slope direction. The non northern facing slopes would be mush pretty early I think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh thank you for your response. I'm going to be leaving the booking till last minute so I guess I could keep an eye on the sno reports. Serre chevalier has come up in the past but when Im not sure it will be more challenging? Not really after a challenge (although I'm sure hubby and son will think different but I'm booking it lol) also les arcs has come up in searches. Dunno if it will live up to la plagne
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@polo99, seriously, Alta Badia will blow your mind - The easy skiing, the food, and the scenery is the best on the planet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK for the middle of March? Where is the best place to fly to? I'm based in Newcastle. Also what are the transfer times with private taxi and usual cost? We usually get a taxi from Geneva in the past and it usually costs around £350. How do you chose a resort? That area is hugeeeeee looks great though
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For Alta Badia fly to Venice (Treviso is even better) or Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If there is a heatwave then it will be mushiness, like most places. 2nd full week in March is usually when all school hols are done - Brilliant time to go. Ryanair fly to Treviso from Edinburgh, Manchester and East Midlands.
Look at some of the reviews on here for Alta Badia/Dolomites.

Best place I've ever been.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 25-01-19 10:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oooh I'm getting excited. I love going to New places. Last day of work for me before 2 weeks off...... Doubt any work will get done today lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alpe d'Huez. A huge bowl with loads of cruisy blues that all end up back in the centre.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo99, the scenery in the Dolomites is very special!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We spent the whole of March in the Dolomites a few seasons ago. Plenty of snow, good conditions, decent apres, fantastic scenery. Fantastic for those who like Piste cruising.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would go to the Dolomites.

The Dolomites have stunning scenery.

The Dolomites have mile upon mile of very well looked after easy cruising pistes.

The Dolomites have history trails.

The Dolomites have great food.

Did I mention the Dolomites
snow report
@TQA, I thought you might have mentioned the Dolomites?
ski holidays
Check the March deals at Albergo Frohsinn chalet. I would second the beauty and cruisy nature of slopes at that corner of the dolomites
latest report
Forget about the Dolomites, expensive over rated garbage.
Try La Grave instead, more snow sure no black or red pistes.
ski holidays
@T Bar, and no blue runs either?
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Forget about the Dolomites, expensive over rated garbage.
Try La Grave instead, more snow sure no black or red pistes.
it translates literally snowHead
ski holidays
https://dolomitesunltd.com/catered-chalet-in-san-cassiano/catered-chalet/

Here is the link to the Albergo Frohsin chalet in the Dolomites @ San Cassiano. It is truly ski in - out located on the side of the blue piste approx. 100 metres above the gondola which links to Piz Sorega where a vast amount of blue and red runs radiate out of

As others mentioned the scenery is absolutely stunning and prices are reasonable. The chalet also has its own in-house ski rental depot with very good equipment

We have been going here for several years and keep returning as it is our favourite place out of all ski resorts
latest report
toyah807 wrote:
@T Bar, and no blue runs either?

All the pisted runs are blue.
ski holidays
1. Saalbach.
2. Courchevel 1850.
3. Klosters.
snow conditions
Ignore WG (as usual). I’ve been to Saalbach and Courchevel. For you Alta Badia is waaaaaaaay better. Easily the best ski area for easy blues, scenery and food that I have been to so far. I’ll link to my TR from last year as I put in photos and it gives detailed information about how easy each run is. Stayed in San Cassiano, 2.5 hrs from VCE. Innsbruck, Verona and Treviso all a little closer but not significant. Feel free to stay in Corvara or Colfosco. La Villa apparently a bit cheaper but no easy blue home, tiny SLIGHTLY steeper red at the end (or a WC slalom black or a good red). THE BEST 1st run of the morning though. No kidding. Straight, quiet easy blue with jaw dropping view to the right would be 1st run of the day. With slow 2 man chair if you want to repeat it or presumably a new fast 6 man chair if you want to move on. We went to Saalbach late March. The easy blues at Hochalm we’re fine but below mid mountain was often bleurgh in the afternoon. There are also plenty of hard blues that link up the area. In Alta Badia, eventually you do need to do a red to get round the Sella Ronda but it is quite far in either direction. Like most of the Courchevel valley distance.
snow report
@T Bar, apologies, my mistake. I had it in my mind that the one or two runs (other than all of the off piste/ difficult stuff the La Grave area is famous for) were at least red, and couldn't find anything different in a search, but i havent been there myself.
snow conditions
polo99 wrote:
also les arcs has come up in searches. Dunno if it will live up to la plagne

Personally i’ve found the runs down into arc 1800 to be the best cruisy blues and easy reds, nicer that the ones into La Plagne. IMHO. I wouldn’t call arcs 1800 pretty but any stretch but neither is La Plagne.
ski holidays
@toyah807, and before anyone points out that the Sella Ronda is circular so doesn't have corners, I am not sure of the circular equivalent!
ski holidays
polo99 wrote:
also les arcs has come up in searches. Dunno if it will live up to la plagne

Personally i’ve found the runs down into arc 1800 to be the best cruisy blues and easy reds, nicer that the ones into La Plagne. IMHO. I wouldn’t call arcs 1800 pretty but any stretch but neither is La Plagne.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toyah807 wrote:
@T Bar, apologies, my mistake. I had it in my mind that the one or two runs (other than all of the off piste/ difficult stuff the La Grave area is famous for) were at least red, and couldn't find anything different in a search, but i havent been there myself.

My tongue was obviously in cheek, but there are actually two blue pistes on the glacier, the only other marked runs are unpisted routes not given a colour.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 25-01-19 22:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dolomites
snow report
Avoriaz (heart of massive Portes du Soleil area) is ski in/out, and has plenty of blues.

It'll be fine throughout March. I'm off there first week of April.
ski holidays
I go to Avoriaz/PDS a lot - and although there are plenty of blues I'm not sure it's that great for the sort of "cruising" blues the OP is after. There are some that fit the bill in the Linga area but in France I think Les Arcs / La Plagne / Courchevel are much better for that sort of thing.
latest report
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3213261&highlight=san+cassiano#3213261

Don’t want to quote myself but I think the photos speak for themselves.
snow report
frejul wrote:
I go to Avoriaz/PDS a lot - and although there are plenty of blues I'm not sure it's that great for the sort of "cruising" blues the OP is after. There are some that fit the bill in the Linga area but in France I think Les Arcs / La Plagne / Courchevel are much better for that sort of thing.

Done each of those at least twice each, and while Courchevel excels in the 'cruisy blues' department, Avoriaz provides the vital ski in/out criterion. OK, if you're a Russian oligarch you also get ski in/out in Courchevel 2000, but it's tricky otherwise.

The Aime 2000 accommodation in La Plagne may be ski in/out, but it is a tad Benidormish, if you know what I mean.
ski holidays
OMG so much to read! thank you for all your responses. I did do a little searching at lunch time today and if I were to do a trip to the dolomites DIY, the transfers seem MEGA expensive! I wouldn't mind a package deal but there doesnt seem to be much on either neilson or crystalski websites. when we stayed in la plagne there was a bitch of blue to get back, it was always cut up and mogully and was quite steep. I hated it and thought it really should be a red - I think it was down the verdons, not too sure (we stayed in a Club Med in 1800). We prefer self catering to catered as I am quite a fussy eater anyway so would be wasted on me, I would still end up having to go out to eat. Would be happy to walk about 50 metres to the slopes, just not too far and definitely not having to get a ski bus anywhere. I really am being drawn to The Dolomites, is there anywhere we should avoid? What are the conditions at the moment out there compared to France at the minute? (I know things change on a daily basis). Budget is about £1200 each which is to include lift pass and ski hire (we have our own boots). is this doable?
snow report
The Tourist office in Arabba organises transfer coaches weekends only 52 euro return from Venice and Treviso airport.
snow report
See if Colletts have availability..
They will do transfer and Hb/chalet and will be under 800. (Pass is 300, ski's 100)
ski holidays
Take a look at http://www.venicecab.com/rates.html for transfers. Much cheaper than any other firm I found and were fine when we used them.
ski holidays
We are flying to Treviso and hiring a car. A 5 seater car with "free" snow chains and a "free" second driver included is under £100 for the week. Don't be frightened of driving abroad or by the mention of snow chains. The chances of needing them in March are very very very remote. Go for it
ski holidays
Cervinia, lots of cruising reds and blues. Nice and high too so the snow show be in good condition.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy