Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am just getting the kit together to service my own skis. The main thing I am yet to get sorted is how to hold the skiis still. I know you can get various ski vices, but is there a cheaper way? Sorry just feeling a bit tight at the moment.

Will
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justapurrin, I wouldn't skimp too much as if the ski moves around a little it could make getting a consistent edge difficult. Also if the ski slips whilst you're filing/stoning the edges you could end up ruining the edge. You also require a reasonable amount of pressure on the ski base when brushing so I woudn't want my ski to slip whilst I'm really leaning on it as 15 stone takes some stopping Embarassed .

One low cost option would be to make some 'slave' boot soles out of timber/mdf, the thickness of the ends to match the toe & heel binding locators on ya boots. These are then clamped in the bindings & you then use a conventional vice (assuming you have one) to clamp on to the timber. You just then need something to support the tips & tails, say blocks of wood.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a ten quid workbench from B&Q - not perfect but you can improvise with a few pieces of scrap wood to grip your skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, I was considering making a boot bottom to act as a clamp but wasn't to sure on how it would work. After you suggesting it I may have a go this weekend. I could probably do it in the workshop on the farm easy enough but would prefer a rig in the house so I can be warm whilst playing with myt skiis.
The 15 stone part is my concern as well unfortuanately Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
workbench from b&q sounds the easiest option as scarpa suggested ,there even be enough room left on there for beer to stand too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used a Black & Decker workbench quite successfully until I could stretch to proper ski vices
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got some ski vices for circa £50 off ebay, they clamp onto a workbench.

BTW don't forget lubricating fluid for your edge stones, I didn't first time and destroyed 2 stones Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use a wallpaper table as a workbench. Although it can be a little wobbly, its more compact for transporting. I cant remember the make of the ski vices I use, but they were about 30 euros, IIRC, in Le Vieux Campeur
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justapurrin wrote:
would prefer a rig in the house so I can be warm whilst playing with myt skiis.

Ski servicing is a messy business. I'm not sure that doing it in a regular part of the your house is such a good idea!

I use a portable ski bench and Toko vices. Not cheap, but easy to transport. More details in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=211835
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy