Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Week 2 on snowboard - lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A daughter will be going for her 2nd week of snowboarding. She would like to attend group lessons. Should I totally avoid resorts with buttons/t-bars where at all possible? Austria seems to provide 2 hours per day (but 4 hours per day for skiing) - is that normal or is Austria different?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If she's done a week already reasonable button lifts shouldn't be too big a problem - and whoever is teaching her will know to avoid the nasty ones. The most important decision is which ski school - IME quite a lot of French ski schools have lightly-converted ski instructors teaching snowboarding. The same might be true in Austria. But there are some really good instructors/schools - so I'd change your OP,if I were you, and ask which snowboarding lessons, not which resort, would be best for your daughter!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not worry about any of that at all.

I know internet people can make a fuss, but really if you can stand up on a snowboard you can use a surface lift.

I'm not sure about tuition - I've ridden with some very good Austrian riders, but I don't know how the teaching system is.
ESF was the one with a bad reputation, not the Austrians. But perhaps someone who's taken lessons there will know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2hrs learning, then she can have 2hrs practicing.
Snowboarding learning is a lot more sitting waiting for your turn to be tuitioned.
Prob better money spent on 1:1 lessons if possible.
Group of 6 would be lucky to get 20-30mins tuition time in 2 hours.

Would not worry about button lifts. Snowboarder needs to know how to use them in case end up being somewhere where there is no other choice.. then can choose to avoid them afterwards Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

then can choose to avoid them afterwards

+1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I know internet people can make a fuss, but really if you can stand up on a snowboard you can use a surface lift.

I agree with this, they are really not that bad. Well worth having some familiarity with them because you will most likely need to use one at some point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I agree with this, they are really not that bad. Well worth having some familiarity with them because you will most likely need to use one at some point.

I think the initial problem is the first pull where people lean into the drag, rather than lean back. Also grabbing with both hands meaning the back arm is going to pull the back of the board around... catch the edge & face plant
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trick with pomas when learning is grab your point your trailing hand at your tail. This keeps your shoulders in line with the board which keeps you straight
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The arm behind method is great for starting on drags with a gentle initial engagement (as @johndiamond says).
There's a couple of manhood-manglers like the Culet atop the Cobeau between Morgins and Chatel, or the ski club drag on Mt Chery, which send even 80KG biffas like me airborne at launch.
For these I find it best to hold on with two hands keep everything soft and relaxed.
Use your arms to take up most of the initial yank, but consciously look up and ahead, as your board will follow roughly where you are looking.
Once your board is back on the ground, get your balance for the second big tug, and again suck it up with your arms and core.
Then let go with your back hand and ride like a normal drag-lift.
Riding shonky drags and t-bars, is also good for your balance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ado wrote:
A daughter will be going for her 2nd week of snowboarding. She would like to attend group lessons. Should I totally avoid resorts with buttons/t-bars where at all possible? Austria seems to provide 2 hours per day (but 4 hours per day for skiing) - is that normal or is Austria different?

Having just, as in last week, got re-acquainted with this whole 'learner lesson' issue after a couple of decades, I'd go with paying maybe 50% more (than for a weeks group lesson) as a total and book individual ones ..... and that's from someone who doesn't particularly like spending money ..... lol.

Group lessons might work for some, but seem geared mostly for keeping them out of your hair for a few hours, which is reasonable enough I guess, although they're often smaller groups (than skiing) so more personal help is often there. At least they'll probably make some mates to play with in the afternoon, perpetuating the above ......

As regards riding drags, I'm not sure it's as methodical as some have pointed out ..... flexibility and simple innate balance are the key, as is understanding how a 'one footed' snowboard acts like a castor, avoiding edges etc

I'm not particularly bothered by 'em, but do know some fairly seasoned boarders, who can come down pretty much anything, avoid them like the plague ......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy