Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did I buy the wrong boots ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

I'm a beginner skier, I live in the Netherlands and had my first ever ski trip for 3 days to Austria, loved it, was able to handle 3 different blue slopes.
I decided to buy my own boots, turns out I went this weekend to buy and they wanted me to buy a Nordica 120... I said I was a beginner and if a 120 wouldn't be too stiff, they said no but a experienced skier friend of mine said it would be, so after showing me 5 different models, I decided to go with the Nordica Cruise 80 (https://www.nordica.com/boots/mens/sport-performance-104mm/cruise-en/cruise-80/).

My question: is this too soft for me ?
I am definitely a beginner, and will be for at least 1 more season, I am 1.78m and 95kg.
She explained that the only difference between the Nordica Cruise 80 and 120 was only the stiffness, and that justified almost twice the price. I paid 200 euros for the 80(the 120 was 350 euros), but when I tried both on my feet the difference was almost not noticeable.
I tested the Nordica 80 in one foot and a Salomon 80 in the other one, the Salomon was MUCH softer... so is this Nordica more stiff the regular 80s ? Due to my weight, should I have gone with a stiffer one ?
This last weekend I went to an indoor ski with it and I liked, doesn't feel wrong or too soft, but I'm a beginner so I'm not really sure on how it should be Sad

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndreSilva, welcome to Snowheads! It sounds like you bought the right boots. 80 flex is fine for someone of your physique and experience. It's always worth remembering that flex ratings are specific to one manufacturer - as you noticed the Salomon and Nordic 80 flex boots are quite different.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @AndreSilva, and welcome to the forum.

There are loads of boot fitters and experts on here who can give you better advice than I can, however... since you've asked Little Angel

First off, I don't think there is a global flex measurement scale that applies to all boots, for loads of reasons, design being one of them, so I think its difficult to compare the same flex rating across the different brands and models.

Having said that, my first pair (and current) pair were head vector 110, bought on sale whilst in Les Deux Alpes in 2010, due to my weight (105kg) and being a relative beginner I went with the 110 flex, it has worked well for me, although they are probably too flexible for me now, so might need a new pair.... (trying to justify the purchase snowHead )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the face of it, my inexpert opinion is that 80 is too soft....but.....I'm not familiar with a "Nordica 80", so could be wrong. IMO. As a beginner, it is vital to be able to flex the boot, so it should be a bit softer - but still stiff enough for your weight/physique. This is where the experience of the Bootfitter comes in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndreSilva, welcome to Snowheads!The most important thing about ski boots that they fit your feet snugly without much pain.
The 80 flex is right for you now, more comfortable and forgiving. As your skiing skill progresses and you ski harder and faster you may wish to change to a stiffer boot to get more control.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AndreSilva, ok...let’s get to the dynamics. Firstly people are right that there is no standard for flex, one company’s 80 can be another’s 110.

The boots will too soft if you ‘overpower them’ - ie cause them to flex to the point where they flex no more, and the cuff is compressed fully against the lower section of boot. At that point there will be no damping in ‘the system’ of ski plus boot. Under those conditions, if you hit a bump you will be thrown all over the place. At 1.74 m and 95 kg as a beginner that is unlikely to happen. If you have very stiff boots when you are a beginner you are likely not to be able to pressure the boots into flex...and then you again get thrown all over the place. This leads beginners with over stiff boots to do them up loosely, which is an exceptionally bad idea, and can lead to nasty injuries including lower leg fractures.

I had 80 Solomon’s (very soft park boots) for years, since I was flapping around with tiny kids, teaching them for hours and hours. Now I use 110 Lange and Atomics - but ski very aggressively at 1.7m and 66kg. Also note that my boots have one flex at minus 20 degrees and vastly more at plus 5, when they turn into squidgy noodles. Old tecnica boots had a very temperature insensitive plastic but were prone to terrible brittleness - hence the exploding orange boots. Old Langes had a weird plastic too...almost impossible to adjust.

It sounds like you will be fine...you can really get a close fit with the boots (a good thing) and check whether you ‘overwhelm’ them. In a few seasons you might like some stiffer boots, but only when you have really mastered pressuring the boots at all times....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, I wasn't expecting all this feedback, thanks guys! Very Happy
According to what u all said, it seems that my boot will be enough for me know, I though stiffness was something standard in ski boots but indeed when I compared with a Salomon at the same stiffness I could clearly see a difference.
My boots don't feel loose and I can fit them snug without pain, I have a wide feet and this is a 104mm, so fits very good.

Thank you all, hope to interact more here!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, the flex of boots will vary at different temperatures. So I would recommend a trip to one of the indoor slopes to try them out in more realistic conditions. There's plenty of choice around the Netherlands and just over the border into Belgium or Germany. If you're down south (like me) then Landgraaf is great, a lovely long blue/green slope with a chair lift back up. Other friends like Bottrop (DE), the Uithof (NL) or even Peer (BE) for various reasons. Especially in the summer there's often really good deals on skiing at these places and even lessons to get some more practice in before your next trip!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I purchased the Nordica Cruise 90 boots about 5 years ago as a lower level intermediate. I have since skiid over 200 days in those boots and they felt as uncomfortable as any other boots I'd rented until somebody on one day told me that the bottom buckles need not be very tight as they are simply to keep the snow and moisture out. Well, I was able to ski all day and party all night in those boots thereafter. They are as comfy as sneakers. Nonetheless, I am now searching for off-piste challenges and pushing the limits of both skis and boots so it's time to upgrade. Toward the end of this last season, my feet seemed to 'slip' ever so slightly every now and again, which was a tad discomforting at high speeds on a sharp edge. I now ski at least 70-90 days each year so I will be looking at 120-130 flex. I'm also 110Kgs. However, coming from the Nordica Cruise 90's with a 104mm last, it's not so easy finding a firmer equivelent. It's also going to cost a lot more and for the coin, I will probably pay more again to have them fitted properly as I planning to move past the edges of the resort and into the backcountry (Back-resort) next season, requiring new boots, bindings (Solomon Shift already acquired) and longer, wider skis as well.
My advise is to stay with your existing boots until you find a genuine need to upgrade. You will sense when that time comes as your ability improves.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup.. and then eventually you may require different boots for different aspects of the sport. Although you may then also require a place in the Alps and a means of paying for it all Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its now at a point where you don't really need different boots for the different ski styles. Boots like the Dalbella Lupo, Somomon S Lab, Atomix Hawx XTD etc. Skis are now also able to do the lot, say Solomon QST 106, Atomic Backland 107, Elan Ripstick 106, Mindbender etc. Add Shift Bindings, skins, crampons in the backpack and away you go backcountry or lock em all in for the park or the groomers!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rcav wrote:
As others have said, the flex of boots will vary at different temperatures. So I would recommend a trip to one of the indoor slopes to try them out in more realistic conditions. There's plenty of choice around the Netherlands and just over the border into Belgium or Germany. If you're down south (like me) then Landgraaf is great, a lovely long blue/green slope with a chair lift back up. Other friends like Bottrop (DE), the Uithof (NL) or even Peer (BE) for various reasons. Especially in the summer there's often really good deals on skiing at these places and even lessons to get some more practice in before your next trip!

Yes sir, I went to Landgraaf with it and loved it! This weekend I'm going to Winterberg, let's see how they behave a real ski environment Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy