Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain ski - Kastle, or..?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all Smile

I’ve just returned from a bit of a ski trip, during which it became apparent that I need to upgrade what I’ve been using as my all mountain skis (a now somewhat old pair of K2 Lotta Luvs).

In the years since I got the K2s I’ve started doing a lot more non-piste type skiing and am looking for something to complement my Whitedot Preacher CLs.

I’ve been doing some reading, and the Kastle FX95 HPs seem to get some pretty damn good reviews (https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-all-mountain-skis-womens#womens-all-mountain-skis-a-quiver-of-one) and I’ve found them at a daft price online.

I’m 5’6”ish, 70ish kgs, & on the recent trip spent probably around 30% of time on groomed pistes, the rest of the time on ungroomed / off piste / in trees and bumps. I want something that can ski well on piste when I’m there, but can handle variable ungroomed, chop through crud, hop around bumps and help me out on the steep stuff, as well as deal with a bit of powder (I’ve got the Preachers for true powder days though).

So - views please, what skis should I be looking at, or are the Kastles at a cheap price worth a punt...?

TIA,
Ms P.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the FX95HPS, absolutely love them. What length are you looking for? Glide and slide have last year's going cheap.

I rip around on pist with them and similarly great in all but the deepest soft stuff, but then you have your preachers for that.

That'll be a mighty fine quiver!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mistress Panda, i had the fx95 ( non hp )in 2016 and am pretty much same height and weight as you , they were a fab ski and for a 30/70 mix just about perfect , I believe the HP model has some titanal metal layers making it a bit stiffer , so where the HP version would be better at crud busting , variable snow and piste high speed skiing , the non HP version would be much kinder in the bumps and a bit more manoverable in tight spaces due to the lighter swing weight , also I found them to be great fun on piste and easy to ski a great variety of turn shapes , either one would be great as these are one of the best skis Kastle make imho
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PaulC1984 wrote:
I have the FX95HPS, absolutely love them. What length are you looking for? Glide and slide have last year's going cheap.

I rip around on pist with them and similarly great in all but the deepest soft stuff, but then you have your preachers for that.

That'll be a mighty fine quiver!

Probably looking at the 165s. My K2s are 156 but I want something a touch longer and definitely wider underfoot, but still versatile. How do you find they handle bumps?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could also consider the Stöckli Stormrider 95. It is the real deal when it comes to an all-mountain, do anything, one-ski quiver.

My wife is on FX95 HP and loves them, so another vote for that ski.

Over on Pugski.com you will find some reviews of the 2020 FX96. Sounds interesting. If I had not bought the SR95 this year, I might have been tempted to wait until next year and put the two of them up against each other. That said, I am more than happy with the SR95. It has been a game-changer for me
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mistress Panda, from memory glide and slide have the length you want for circa 500 ish.

Spot on in bumps, crud busting machines!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
165s for £480

https://www.glideslide.co.uk/16151/products/kastle-fx95-hp-mens-all-mountain-skis-with-k13-attack-bindings.aspx
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ulmerhutte wrote:
You could also consider the Stöckli Stormrider 95. It is the real deal when it comes to an all-mountain, do anything, one-ski quiver.

My wife is on FX95 HP and loves them, so another vote for that ski.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at the Stöcklis as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:

Spot on in bumps, crud busting machines!

Good to know, ta Smile Thanks for the link too. Really quite tempted, though am loathe to buy skis without actually skiing them first...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mistress Panda, If there's an Ellis Brigham in a snow dome near you, you can demo the FX95HP there. Not the same as trying it in its natural habitat but you could get a feel for it. Would be long though, probably 176 but give them a ring and ask what they can do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Riccardo wrote:
@Mistress Panda, If there's an Ellis Brigham in a snow dome near you, you can demo the FX95HP there. Not the same as trying it in its natural habitat but you could get a feel for it. Would be long though, probably 176 but give them a ring and ask what they can do.

Fab, thank you. I can get to MK pretty easily so will give them a call.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So I’ve tried the Kastles, and also some Head Kore 93s (just as something to ski against the Kastles). It’s so difficult to get a feel for something in MK... they seem like really lovely skis, but (and I was on 181s, so longer than I’d ever have) I wasn’t convinced they’d be quite as malleable on bumps around trees as others might be.

The Kastles did however feel like they’d be the most ridiculously stable, fast and dependable ski, though I wouldn’t describe them as exciting.

Quite liked the Heads too, tbh, much more playful and poppy, but feel they’d probably get quite chattery and wouldn’t necessarily hold an edge as well.

So anyway, I’ve decided I’ll wait til next season and see what the all-mountain offering for next season is and maybe treat myself then.

Plus I do rather want to try the Whitedot Altum... Toofy Grin

On a side note - the quality of the slush at MK was terrible!!

Ms P.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy