Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix when the weather closes in

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Chamonix over the next few days and the forecast looks good for snow, to the point where there will likely be delayed opening or even closure of some of the areas.

Does anyone have advice on where to head to find good sheltered turns when it closes in? Magic Forest at Grands Montets? Vallorcine?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Houches.

Not much shelter in Vallorcine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Saturday looks nice and sunny.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nordic skiing with the present Mrs HammondR today before taking to the trees at St Gervais/Megeve/Combloux Thursday and Friday. You won't find much seclusion in the GM forest. Be very careful with the avalanche risk at Le Tour/Vallorcine
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Les Houches.

This.

I was on an off piste day in Cham a couple of years ago. The weather was horriffic. Went up the Lognan lift on Grands Montet only for the upper mountain to be closed, went along to Le Tour, one run and they shut the lifts so the day was cancelled and money refunded by 10.30 am.

However, I headed along to Les Houches on my own and had an excellent day off piste. I was lucky to hook up with a ski bum doing a season and who knew the place like the back of his hand. Lower altutide and tree lined. Lovely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for St Gervais, we headed down there when rest of valley was stormbound, really enjoyed the mellow tree skiing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JoyZipper, maybe that was good a couple of years ago. With the current snowpack there, and the hundreds of storm damaged trees lying about, it wouldn't interest me much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Except that ...

St G isn't on "Le Pass", of course, neither is les Houches, but it is 20 minutes closer. And doesn't need a car.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mount Blanc Unlimited pass gives access to Les Houches, St Gervais and Courmayeur, all have treeline skiing.
There is a free coach to St Gervais (book online, 1/hour), a free regular ski bus (No 2?) goes to Les Houches and the Courmayeur bus is 15€ return, again 1/hour.
Chamonix is not a convenient resort so you need to plan where you are going in advance and be prepared to put up with the tedious ski buses.
Chamonix is like Marmite. Fortunately I like Marmite...
Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hudds7, I wouldn't be buying an MBU for a few days, more economical to buy individual passes online.

1/hour coaches don't appeal to me, the marginal advantage of St G doesn't win over Les Hs. Just my half-p.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I was just going for a couple of days and there was a risk of lift/piste closure due to the weather then I probably wouldn't go to Chamonix. Courmayeur might be a better bet, trees, infinitely better mountain food and affordable prices. I guess it depends on the rest of the story from the OP, does he have accommodation organised already, own transport, buddies to meet etc etc?
Agree with you that if the weather was uncertain and he had to stay in the Chamonix valley then he would probably be better basing himself at Les Houches and buying a local 2 day pass.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Les Houches here.

I hadn't been to Chamonix before the start of this season, but managed two brief trips in Jan & early Feb and the best days I had were there.

Was somewhat of a white-out when I first went up Prarion the first time, but once I'd got over to section served by Plancerts, Ardoisieres and Crozat lifts, had a brilliant time on the tree-lined runs.

If the snow is really coming down, the black run Kandahar / Coupe du Monde can also become VERY forgiving for powder-loving boarders like me!

The lift pass for Les Houches on its own is also cheaper than the MBU or Le Pass for 1 day
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do be careful if relying on the "connecting" bus services though. On my first trip there, got the #2 to Chamonix Sud bus station, rolled in 2 minutes late to find the #1 to Les Houches had already departed on time and had to loiter with intent (and malcontent) for another 28 minutes.

If you are staying in the centre and can walk to somewhere the #1 stops, do so!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 14-03-19 14:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry you have that the wrong way round the 1 goes to Les houches
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No apology needed. Have amended to correct. Thanks!
snow conditions
@tpc, personally I'ld go with your own suggestion of Magic Trees at GM with (really) small hikes back up the track to Pendant. Plenty of lines in there with the snow forecast to come down.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy