Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length question

Poster: A snowHead
I'm buying my first set of wide boards. I have narrowed my choice down to Head Mojos or the B3. I had pretty much determined that I was looking at the 186 length in the Mojo or 185 in the B3. I'm 6' and 195lbs and over the last 3 years have been getting into skiing steeps, chutes and some trees.

Anyway, I was at Whistler 2 weeks ago and demoed some B3's in a 178 because it was all that was available that day and it was free. I had them in some tight chutes and found some boot deep relatively uncut powder and liked them a lot. Tried the 185's two days later. I expected them to be slower into short turns but they also felt a little dead compared to the shorter length. Or was it was my legs getting dead at the end of the week?

So if I go with the shorter ski, what am I giving up? I realize shorter means less surface area and less float in deep snow, but is it significantly less? I'm not really comfortable ripping high speed on steeps yet so I don't think giving up a little stability at speed is an issue right now. Are there any other issues I should be considering?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-03-19 6:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
203 for slalom, 207 for GS. Them's the rules.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Franeno,
Don't listen to @under a new name, , he is only interested in racing style skis you need something a bit more versatile that will give you air as well.
https://shop.slatnar.com/skis/world-cup-skis/air-world-cup-2.html should do you fine, If you carry a bit of weight the 275's will probably suit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've skied the 178's and the 185's. You really like the 178's. Sounds like you're not that keen on the 185's. Why are you even considering buying anything other than the 178's?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobMcQ wrote:
You've skied the 178's and the 185's. You really like the 178's. Sounds like you're not that keen on the 185's. Why are you even considering buying anything other than the 178's?

Exactly. By rights I should be on 176 on my skis, but I preferred the 184s. Just go with what you like!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Franeno, measure peni5 then x80.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very much a simimar question that I have, I fancy trying a pair of Nordica Enforcer 110s and had a chance of some cheap ex disply 185s, just the right size for me at 95kg but I really fancy the shorter turn radius of the 177s and my current 181s are frequently cumbersome in tight spots.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@T Bar, I think you missed the chronological joke...

165 for SL, 190ish for GS is current.

Anyway, as regular readers know, I ski a 173 Bonafide ... wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name,
I realised you weren't being serious hence my link, not sure I get the chronology still though?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for just buy the ones you like. I prefer a shorter ski and have never found myself wishing for they were longer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No idea what B3's are (unless they are the old Rossi's from BITD) but at 6ft and 90kg I regret getting the 180 Soul 7s and would be happier on the 188s.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
165 for SL, 190ish for GS is current.

That doesn't help. You are not in the weight range for 165cm SL skis, the OP is in the weight range for the longest size of fat skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So much depends on the rocker and ski geometry. I am 176cm, and out of my all mountain 176 skis and the much fatter 185cm powder skis... I find that the longer skis are much more agile and better for quick turns in tight trees.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 2-03-19 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjs, I loved my Nordica SL-Rs. I am totally in the weight range. My wife’s 155s were way too short.

@T Bar, haha sorry, missed that. The chrono reference was that I was quoted that in umm, 1984? Buying my much loved Mk 1 Dynastar Course SLs... way nicer than the Omeglass IIs
ski holidays
@T Bar, that's the first time I've seen a site that sells jump skis, so thanks for the link. Still trying to work out why they make such a huge range of sizes!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy