Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallandry Feb Half Term 2019 - Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It’s been a long time since I last wrote a trip report, 6-years in fact, here if you’re really interested, so thought it was about I wrote another!

So what’s changed in 6-years – well not a lot to be honest, still went as a family, still got the same car (getting on a bit now) and still went to Vallandry. What can I say we like it there.
One thing which has changed – the kids! They’ve grown a bit Laughing

Boys then

Boys now

Daughter then

And now

Although we have been at February half-term before, through a stroke of luck at time Northants half-term was a week earlier than majority of UK and France. As such it was relatively quiet.
As such this was our first experience of the horror (or was it Wink) of a half-term ski trip…………………

I’m not one for overnight drives and we generally like a relaxed start to a holiday, so like responsible parents we took the kids out of school on the Friday and drove down to Ashford on the Thursday night! Hey it’s only GCSE and A-Level year so not like they’re missing out on anything.

Mind you, there was some studying done on holiday Shocked

Being Valentine’s Day we went out for romantic family meal LOL at the French Connection next to Premier Inn Laughing

Earlyish start the next day for a booked 7:20am crossing – UK terminal running smoothly and relatively quiet, although we were obviously not the only ones pulling kids from school! Slight delay in departure due to a train stopped in tunnel (faulty fire alarm apparently) but no real delay.

A relatively smooth journey down to Macon for our overnight stay in a Campanile – basic motel style rooms, but well equipped and did the trick. I’m still amazed at the quality of food in basic hotels in France – we had choice of buffet starter and desert and a freshly cooked main-course. A huge contrast to the offering the night before at French Connection!

Boys struggling to know where to start with dessert buffet

We had a heated family debate over dinner over what time to leave in the morning, I was pushing for early, but was overruled and we left at 7am. As it turns out, I was right to push for early start and a journey which normally takes us around 3-hours took closer to 6.

Incidentally, did anyone else crawl through Chambery tunnel, which was reduced to 1-lane, for absolutely no apparent reason? Still it wasn’t unbearable and at least we kept rolling, albeit slowly, and we rolled into Vallandry early afternoon after stocking up at supermarket in Aime. A frantic few hours and we were sitting on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine – it was unseasonably warm!

With a normal arrival time we generally get a few runs in Saturday afternoon, but we gave it a miss this year, so Sunday morning and time to test the ski-legs – gulp! In the morning we kept to the Vallandry, Derby and Vagere lifts just to get a feel for it, despite the lack of any new snow the pistes were in good condition all week. A little icy in the morning, as overnight temps were cold, but softening up nicely for some lovely spring skiing conditions.

I was slightly concerned about how busy it would be – errr not at all, despite being half-term

Granted there were a few pinch points and longish queues in Arc 2000 bowl, but was nowhere near as bad as I’d expected. Partly I suspect as everyone seemed to want to head high, into the Arc Bowl or up Aguille Rouge, whereas the pistes above 1600, 1800 and Vallandry were lovely and quiet.

Tuesday was not a great day for me – we headed over to try the new Comborciere Lift (wow what a difference to the old one) and try the new Secret red run. Unfortunately I discovered that, on my board, I am not good on flat smooth roads or steep icy pistes – lost my nerve completely and bailed out at lunchtime.

Left the kids to go off and play and Mrs B and I took a walk over to Arc1800 along the Emergency Access road. Lovely walk and a glass of wine in the sun at Arc

In the evening, I went and hired skis! While I enjoy boarding, I am not very good and realistically need perfect conditions.
Armed with skis, and with boarder boy also on skis for day, we took a trip over to La Plagne for a fun blast around. Again we decided to avoid the high spots and had a fantastic day on the empty pistes above Champagny-en-Vanoise off the back of Roche de Mio

And of course a nice lunch Cool

Jeez Thursday already, where does time go Shocked

A gentle morning and we did a few laps of the newish lift in Arc 200 Pre Saint Esprit – I like this lift as it allows for a relaxed, confidence building, run from Arc Bowl all the way down Vallee fe l’Arc. Word of warning though – this lift bar locks and doesn’t release until the last moment – caused some panic the first time we used it!

It also takes a picture – once we worked that out, we had to try and get family shot, which I’m afraid did require some serious pushing and shoving to get us onto same lift.
We did get inevitable ski school child with us, but otherwise not a bad pic.

Friday was an easy day, mainly spent playing in the trees above Vallandry, resisting the urge for the “one last run” we finished early, packed the car and ordered pizzas.
We thought a 6am start would see us miss the traffic – wrong! And a very slow drive until past Lyon, was then the usual mad dash up to Eurotunnel and home around 9pm.
Once again a very enjoyable holiday – with our boys off to Uni last year this is likely to be our one and only half-term adventure – it was fine!

We’ve just booked for New Year - bring it on snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely report, photos and family! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great trip report and photos. Thank you! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowymum, happy birthday snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, Thank you. It has been lovely having a sunny birthday for once. Last year it snowed (beast from the East snowHead )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good report, I wonder how New Year will compare to half term...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good report, interesting to read what it's like at one of the half-term weeks as we've avoided that for a few years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, been few times at Chrimbo and NY, always been quieter than HT
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But I was hoping for lots of pictures of waffles!

Or am I being thick? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@maggi, waffles are in a secret mountain hut, expertly prepared by admin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, nice report. Good to see that "Boy" isn't just an elite runner and enjoys pudding and wine!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks you for the pics plus the report, it is a magic place indeed.
One question, where did you stay? I've previously been to Les Arcs 2000 and 2 years later to 1800. We decided to return to Paradiski on a year basis, but to Vallandry - for being so charming and well supplied (we reached the grilled chicken by the supermarket at lunch time) and right in the middle between both areas, with easy access up the mountain/down the road.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@drporat, We were staying in an apartment block called Epilobes - from the main car-park at base of Sherpa you follow road and go around the first bend.

If walking, you can go past the nursery and up the steepish path - this takes you out on the road and it's down on left. 5-mins walk from village - couple of mins to walk to slope to ski down to lift
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice report - thank you for writing up!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boris, good report. Well written.

It often amazes me just how crowded arc 2000 is compared to the other side of the ridge.

Incidently the last 2 times we have driven down from the west Midlands we have been able to leave about 5 in the morning and get to our apartment before 10 at night. In time in fact to get a pizza from pizza charlotte
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy