Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
It’s about a month to 1/2 term and thought I’d start a thread ahead of time to begin the chit chat, share plans and ask questions about the trip.

We are driving down to Chatel from London on afternoon of 15 February, catching the 15:50 crossing and overnighting in Beaune. Will get purchase snowHeads sticker for the car if still available.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1820 ferry with dinner on the ferry and overnighting in Bezannes heading for Chamonix. Watch out for the snowhead zaps on the twin ski boxes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowHead Bumper Stickers here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11640
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1820 Tunnel crossing for us on 15th. Stopping at Reims overnight then on to La Clusaz on Saturday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
leaving Thursday 14th night - late train - stay in St Quentin - leave early on Friday to arrive La Plagne C.1pm. I try to avoid Saturdays as the traffic can be hell. I will hope to get a parking spot early Saturday morning as people leave.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
so I am guessing from this that English dates are 16th - 23rd. that's good for me because we are week before I am doing 11th - 18th so weekend of 16/17 will be quite.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ferry from Newhaven 14th Feb going to La Clusaz, family of snowboarders
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure what we intend to do. Will track this for advice as haven’t been skiing for five years (heresy I know but I was very ill).

Am planning either late Fri eurotunnel and drive through with an in car nap around 3am or to get up early on Sat and take a 5am eurotunnel.

Have ordered a new beeper for autopeage. Have previously stopped overnight somewhere en route but funds are tight after blowing thousands on the trip.

All route advice welcome.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eurotunnel with flexi plus on Friday afternoon once sons from school. One doing A levels & one GCSEs this year and both have important classes until 3:30pm, or so I've been told.

Driving to Metz and into a B&B Hotel for the night before heading to Ischgl on Saturday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Son and I are off to Hinterglemm at half term (16/2 to 23/2):
- 11.30am train from Newcastle to Edinburgh
- 5pm flight into Munich
- Pick up hire car, and then a hopefully non-eventful drive to Hinterglemm, probably arriving at around 11pm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndrewBailey,
'All route advice welcome.'

It depends where you're going!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
0850 Tunnel on Friday 15th. Stopping in Macon overnight, then on to Pila, Italy on Saturday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndrewBailey, Andrew the tunnel is fully booked through friday...we have to do ferry
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
off Friday morning on Eurotunnel to Ste Foy..overnight in Chambery at Kyriad and dinner in Le Twentys and last little bit Sat first thing and onto the planks before checking in

can t wait
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
School trip for me to Courmayer with 32 youngsters. Coach at 2.30pm Saturday from Poole to Dover, ferry and then a looooong drive. Hopefully the kids will sleep a lot and that the coach has USB ports. Looking forward to it though Very Happy
snow report
From Ireland Thurs, then ferry Friday 6pm, overnight Reims then to ADH.....counting the sleeps....so are the kids!!
snow conditions
West Devon to tunnel for 23:30hrs train, drive overnight and hopefully in Les Menuires for lunch, move into apartment in the afternoon then go out and eat bodyweight of cheese, red meat and strong continental lager......
snow report
3.30pm school departure. Mad dash around the M25 and down to the tunnel. Have flexi plus so hope to be on a train by circa 6.30pm. Overnighting somewhere in the middle of nowhere about 20-30 minutes past Troyes. On to Val Cenis next morning.

Has anyone used flexi plus of late. What food can I expect in the lounge ? Hoping to dive in and pick up carry out picnicy type food and snacks to eat on the go/feed the kids so we don't have to stop (other than a quick fuel fill and toilet stop) before accommodation.
ski holidays
Hi, we are on the 16:50 crossing London - Chatel (Vacheresse) sixth time in last 12 months! Providing ET is on time should be at destination by 2 am give or take. Usual route for us is Autoroute Blanche, off at Annemasse to Thonon and home! Can't wait!!!! (will maybe the ET bit I'm not looking forward too.......)
snow conditions
Looks slightly better for us as our daughter has the following week for half term 22/2 - 4/3 Very Happy

Only worry is it’s “Scandi Week” in Val d’Isere, so the town will be filled with Scandinavian youths the same age as our daughter Shocked
snow conditions
We’re driving from Lux to Fügen. We’ll probably leave sat morning. We have skis for all so shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting going on Sunday
snow conditions
@Gazzza, Flexiplus food is good picnic fare - sandwiches, salad pots, crisps, nuts, macarons! They have Starbucks coffee, hot chocolate etc. and soup (though I only saw it at Calais). They have a drive through facility if you are really in a rush, but it never seems to be busy even at peak times, so it easy to dive in and get the food yourself.
ski holidays
Thanks @rachelharrisonsmith. Yes I think my preference will be to dive in, not least as if the kids can pick for themselves even if from a limited selection they are more likely to eat and enjoy it rather than complain and be demanding a food stop an hour down the A26 to Reims. Trying to avoiod stop faffage the other side Happy.
They'll be all the happier for picking their own and I'm somewhat hoping the rest room facilities are somewhat nicer than the one's on board the train so worth a 5 minute leg stretch !
ski holidays
“Depends where you’re going”
Doh! I deserved that - have booked Tignes with flexiplus crossing.

Haven’t done this for years so... mistakes inevitable!

Usually drive to Troyes, stop o/night then onwards via Lyon and Chambery but I remember it gets mad after Lyon. Crazy driving and huge traffic.

Is there an easier way, by car in case some bright spark tells me private jet and helicopter?
snow report
As I've said somewhere else, I messed up the dates so we're actually driving down on the 1st from Lancashire to the chunnel. Booked our overnight hotel in Metz last night so at least we have a target to hit and then another 10 hours or so to Madonna on the Saturday for two weeks of awesomeness!

Boring stuff like API is all done and we're off to the shops tomorrow for some bits, bobs and new sticks for moi.

Excited now Smile
ski holidays
Eurotunnel advice please: We have friends travelling with us in their own car and booked in the same crossing (15:50 15/2). What is the best way in ensuring we end up with the same boarding letter as we work our way through the check-in melee?
snow conditions
Only way is to follow each other through check-in, although you could still be separated if the first letter fills up before the second car checks in.

I've not had a problem in the past though.

Are you both the same vehicles ie high or standard? If not you will be separated on loading.

If you are the same vehicle type pull to the side after passports and wait for your friends and then hopefully you can load together.
snow report
Early start on the 15th from Cheshire for a midday tunnel and then on to overnight in Beaune. Early start to head up to Val Cenis but via a quick stop in Annecy on the way. Fingers crossed not too many hold ups on the autoroute Blanche junctions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndrewBailey, for alternate route we often use Macon, Bourg en Bresse on autoroute.

Then, look on a map for road numbered D1504 that is cross country from below B o B to Chambrey. It comes out of a tunnel half way along the lake opposite Aix -Le-Bain and takes you directly down to autoroute going through Chambrey, arriving just south of the airport. On that route are the villages of Belly and Yenne.

It's generally clear open road that passes through villages etc. If you want to shop for supplies there are Intermarché etc right alongside and decent cost fuel too. It passes through some nice scenery and although not fast like toll route it's quite a relaxing drive especially after major part of the journey coming down from North coast to mid France.

Planning in sat-nav I use those two village names as destination to pull the route through where I want it. Belly and Yenne that is.

Using junction 8 on A42 normally to connect with D1504.
snow report
Romantic Valentines Day in Premier Inn Ashford, with kids! Early morning Eurotunnel then drive to Macon for Friday night, then early start to Les Arcs on Saturday.
ski holidays
@knackered knees, my concern was letters filling up assuming places are allocated in order or arrival. I guess we could go to the manned/womanned checkin queue if not too long.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, if you are booked on same crossing you should get sane letters. If in the unlikely event that you don't, the earlier letter could wait for the next train.
snow conditions
Quote:

Usually drive to Troyes, stop o/night then onwards via Lyon and Chambery but I remember it gets mad after Lyon. Crazy driving and huge traffic.

Is there an easier way, by car in case some bright spark tells me private jet and helicopter?

One way to avoid the madness of the last few hours is to time your journey to arrive in resort about 6 - 7 pm. Will be far clearer, after the main rush.
snow report
We are crossing on 14th at 18:30 (TTD on Friday so they miss last day on Thursday) and as we are in Motorhome we'll pull up have dinner and stay somewhere probably about an hour from calais on thursday night. Then drive down on the Friday (get up normal time and be off by 9am) staying in BSM on the night before heading up to Plagne Villages around 8am on saturday morning. We then get 7 days skiing in.

We have never drove at half term before, only easter, so we have no idea what the traffic can be like. I am hoping our plan will put us ahead of the crowds?
snow conditions
Quote:

I am hoping our plan will put us ahead of the crowds?

Should do - be into resort as early as you can, then maybe have breakfast on arrival! The Saturday transfer days are a great day to ski - skiing the final Saturday then heading down the hill about 6 pm is also a good way to go!
ski holidays
Quote:

maybe have breakfast on arrival!

Good plan. We can get into the parking area anytime after midnight. Think we'll just wake up and go - probably still be in my PJS Laughing
snow conditions
@knackered knees, that makes sense - thanks
latest report
It's the midnight ferry from Newhaven on Friday 15th for me unfortunately due to having to stay at work till the bitter end of the term, full teaching timetable means no ducking out at lunch Sad But we will be organised this time and get a good spot for a little lie down during the crossing. Then just a short hop, skip and an 9 hour drive to Chamonix Very Happy
ski holidays
We are catching the 8:20am Shuttle from Dover on Saturday 16 Feb and doing the drive to Montchavin in one day. Are we mad? Last year our return minibus transfer from Montchavin to Geneva airport took 9 hours due to weather, rock falls etc. so figured it prepared us for driving from the UK this year !
ski holidays
@OldHacker, shuttle departs from Folkestone. Did you mean ferry?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy