Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Sun Peaks BC Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've been to Sun Peaks a few times before and looking to go again Jan 2019 for 10 days.
At present SP are offering buy 8 nights accommodation and get 2 nights for free.
They also have a 241 on lift passes.

All sounds brilliant until you factor in the holiday / tour companies.... They have great deals for 7 nights but as soon as I ask for 10 nights and knowing that the resort are offering 2 nights for free if you book 8 nights the price gets really expensive.
The plus side with the tour companies is that flights are scheduled from London to either Vancouver or Calgary and then an internal flight to Kamloops and a transfer up to resort.

Do any of you know of any good deals out there for skiing at Sun Peaks for 2019 for 10 nights?

I'm looking at Airbnb, Crystal, Ski Solution, Owners Direct, Ski Independence etc but if any of you know any reasonable prices tour operators or privately owned condos out there then please let me know.

We were looking at Winter Park, Denver Colorado but with the new IKON pass in place it's just too expensive.

Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sun Peaks just announced some significant new investments, too.

I don't use tour companies, but you can easily fly to Kamloops from YVR or YYC and there are multiple ways of getting from there to the resort. Or fly in and hire a car... then bag Sun Peaks and Silver Star as well etc. I suppose the tour companies use charter flights (?) so their periods are less flexible..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool. Thank you. xxx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We just do it ourselves via allura, or owners direct, sunpeakscondos (local rental agent).
We normally go; Ba Manchester to YVR, then we either stay overnight near the airport then we fly to Kamloops or Kelowna (longer transfer) and some times we drive, this year we hired a ford explorer 7 seat and luggage space, it was vast.. 4 adults all bags and skis, food and beer/wine and we could still see out of the back window. Only ever rent a 4x4 and watch the weather before we drive.
Some years we fly to Calgary then to either Kamloops or Kelowna. Man-yvr-yka or ylw. The BA flight to Calgary leaves earlier in the day and means you can easily get to resort in one day.
Then you can book with aircanada, and link all the flights, so no extra luggage costs. Also Iceland air which we have looked at but not used.
Keep looking at the web site for the season passes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 24-04-18 16:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi ya.
Thank you so much for thus information, it's good to know the options that others have tried. Very Happy xxxxxxx I shall look at everything you have mentioned. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Season pass now on sale at $899 + taxes pay in 3 instalments, equals about 10days if you buy your normal pass now. Does give you 50% off lift tickets at whistler.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread has made me curious about Sun Peaks, what's the pull of the place?
It looks like two flights from the UK or a fairly long drive post one flight (with associated costs) and although it states it has Canada's second largest area the piste map doesn't look extensive enough to keep you occupied for 10 days.
What am I missing? Brilliant inbounds "off piste", access to incredible out of bounds or do people mainly use this as part of a road trip?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its a small resort with empty pistes, orderly short lift queues. Not enough on slope restaurants. Lots of trees lots of glades , excellent ski school, a great wine festival.
Good snow not all the runs are groomed every day so there is a mix of conditions. We are a bit older so we don't have to ski all day or every day we like the quiet runs and the restaurants at the bottom of the slopes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
  • It's 3 hours from the world's largest heli ski operation.
  • ...Which is there because the snow in those parts is quite good. It's in the right place.
  • Getting there is an easy drive (winter tyres not needed, just M&S), although you have to drive past a lot of other ski hills...
  • If you fly that's also easy, and car hire in Kamloops is cheaper than Vancouver.
  • There are very few package tourists there.
  • Rather like some European resorts, because it doesn't have a "hard core" reputation, it doesn't attract that sort, so the good stuff lasts longer.

Personally I don't think I could handle any resort for 10 days.

I usually drive because it's more flexible, although I've done it with flights and the bus before now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
Personally I don't think I could handle any resort for 10 days.

I can "handle" 3 Valleys for 10 days no problem. A month isn't out of question either.

Other side of pond, I'll happily handle Whistler for 10 days. Big Sky too. Even Vail.

I've actually done Copper for 10 days in a row, for quite a few years (in the good old days of RMSP)

Other mountains I can see myself parked for 10 days: Aspen, Snowbird/Alta, Jackson Hole.

Haven't been to Sun Peak. One on the to-do list.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its on my to do list too but getting there just puts me off; up north too so have to trail down to Heathrow. You do not say where you are starting from if you can get to Heathrow easily then it is not as bad.
Iceland air looks good from up north. A real pain is AirTransat only fly between May and October Man-Van darn it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any Snowheads that fancy meeting up Sun Peaks will be my local resort from next season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
February we will be there for 2 weeks-ish.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@francium., Ill be in Sun Peaks all season from late November. When you heading out?

For anyone not been to Sun Peaks before its definitely worthwhile, Ive done it twice on holiday and now heading for a full season. Have to say last year was significantly busier than year before but still most I've queued for a lift was 5-10 mins and that was at ski school starting times. New lift could be interesting but unless I'm missing something its in the wrong place to service another part of the mountain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I means I don't have to ski down homerun / grand return then walk across the bridge and the road to get to the village in a morning.
We are based near Morrissey lift so our first run every day is from Morrissey lift. 1st Feb--14 th.
snow report
Just been to Panorama B.C. Jan 2019 and doesn't compare to Sun Peaks.
Anyone in Sun Peaks end Feb 2019.
Anyone gonna be there 2019/ 2020?

Westjet now fly direct Gatwick to Kamloops then 35 min transfer to resort.

Happy to house or condo share.

Love skiing with the free mountain hosts and Nancy Green. Love Mt Morrisey.
latest report
@francium., Hello.
Will you be there 2019 / 2020?
Cath.
snow report
Sun Peaks is a very nice ski area, but ten days is too long for it and almost any single area in North America. But an Okanagan sampler would be a great trip; you'd need a car. 3 days each at Sun Peaks, Big White and Silver Star. All three are terrific and they each have their own cinnamon roll as well! If dumpage happens, you would be in position to rip up to Revelstoke for a day, but for on-piste skiing the other three are vastly superior at this point. All great areas, though none are big enough to be interesting for ten days. They all share this attraction: true ski-in, ski-out accommodations. Super convenient. They also get their share of fog, owing to the large lakes just upwind of all of 'em. But all are predominately below treeline which helps, and they don't get the rain and marine influence like Whistler does.
ski holidays
CJL wrote:

Westjet now fly direct Gatwick to Kamloops then 35 min transfer to resort.

Now that is interesting always been put off going as it is another flight change and the general hassle getting there.
snow report
CJL wrote:
... Westjet now fly direct Gatwick to Kamloops then 35 min transfer to resort. ...

Those flights are "direct" but not non-stop. You're typically stopping in Toronto and Calgary (two stops), so it's a significantly long flight (20 to 30 hours) with both baggage and weather risk. Calgary and Kamloops both are sensitive to weather and I've had bags lost in both airports despite the small size of YKA.

It's quicker to fly to Vancouver and drive, or fly to Vancouver then catch a flight up to YKA. Car hire is cheaper in Kamloops and the vehicles are generally better for the conditions. If reliability is an issue then driving from Vancouver is more reliable if you're competent behind the wheel. You can buy both of those flights on the same ticket if you're worried about delays on the transatlantic end. You need to clear Canadian customs at YVR so there's not much additional risk to your baggage there.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
CJL wrote:
... Westjet now fly direct Gatwick to Kamloops then 35 min transfer to resort. ...

Those flights are "direct" but not non-stop. You're typically stopping in Toronto and Calgary (two stops), so it's a significantly long flight (20 to 30 hours) with both baggage and weather risk. Calgary and Kamloops both are sensitive to weather and I've had bags lost in both airports despite the small size of YKA.

It's quicker to fly to Vancouver and drive, or fly to Vancouver then catch a flight up to YKA. Car hire is cheaper in Kamloops and the vehicles are generally better for the conditions. If reliability is an issue then driving from Vancouver is more reliable if you're competent behind the wheel. You can buy both of those flights on the same ticket if you're worried about delays on the transatlantic end. You need to clear Canadian customs at YVR so there's not much additional risk to your baggage there.

Its the added flight from Van that post me off. Already done 2 flights to get there and had enough by then; I can only take so many airports in a day.

Also a huge pain that AirTransat only flies Manchester-Vancouver direct April - October. Would be happy to add the Kamloops flight to that.
ski holidays
philwig is right, fly to Vancouver and drive, or fly to either Kamloops (or Kelowna, if you are going to other areas besides Sun Peaks).
snow report
Any leads on ski touring routes \ info \ conditions in that part of the world ? I'm heading out in the near future.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy