Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

suggestions for Sella Ronda routes, early march ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I'm going to Santa Cristina near Selva a week on Saturday with my old man.

Both experienced, I'm 34, I've done two whole seasons and about 10 other weeks, maybe 50 or 60 weeks total, my old man the same, he's 70 in good nick, can probably still beat me at badminton but creaking very slightly.

We've done Selva before and loved the sella ronda, we did it clockwise in 2014.

Hoping to do that again and try the anticlockwise route too.

Question though, does anyone have any recommendations for other day trips, specific routes? I'd like to go to resorts like Arabba, Trentino etc for day trips, but what would you say are must-do routes, pistes, or lunch spots?

Many thanks in advance!

Ben
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only been on the last 2 birthday bashes, so still getting to know some of the areas just off the Sella Ronda.
Marmolada is worth a trip on a good day. But might be busy by the time you get over from Selva.

Cinque torrie and the hidden valley are a must.
The church at Santa Croce. Great black run on the way down to La Villa.

I went through Alpe de Suise first year, but short of time and weather closed in. Short bus ride out and then ski back via Ortesi. Worth a visit.

I'm sure more seasoned snowHead will recommend more.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for Cinque Torri and Hidden Valley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiben, you might want to check out this recent thread for recommendations https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142001
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skiben, you could have a look at the runs between Alba and Pozza di Fassa. The blacks at either end are excellent. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@skiben, you could have a look at the runs between Alba and Pozza di Fassa. The blacks at either end are excellent.

+1 for runs above Alba, lovely little area and very quiet.

Hidden Valley a bit meh imo - It's nice enough but not worth the hassle - and by the time you get up to Passo Falzarego from Santa Cristina there'll be an hour long queue for the cable car - and that's after the 30 min queue for a bus!

Marmolada offers incredible views and a great run down but again, by the time you get to the bottlenecks in the route there (the 2 man chair above Arabba and the 3-stage Cable Car from Malga di Ciapela (sp?)) you'll have some hefty waits. We stay in Selva and I'd definitely do the Marmolada again, but not the Hidden Valley.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The trip up to the church at Santa Croce above Badia (Via Colfosco/La Villa etc from Santa Cristina) is a lovely trip with varied skiing - it'd be a long old day but there shouldn't be any significant bottlenecks there or back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skiben, you could have a look at the runs between Alba and Pozza di Fassa. The blacks at either end are excellent. snowHead
+1 for this. The blacks aren't too nasty, so don't be put off and at the Buffaura end there are equally pleasant red and blues if you prefer. If you want a full day out in Val di Fassa, you can follow the Panorama Tour, which does involve a couple of buses but joins you back up to the SR at Canazi.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, Hidden Valley didn't live up to the hype for me either, not much pitch after the first 60 seconds, though it is beautiful and Rifugio Scotoni halfway down is way cool. You should do it once if only to be towed by the horses at the bottom. The red run back to the Lagazuoi tram is fun; if the tram line isn't too long do a few of those before you commit to going down HV. I liked Gran Risa at Alta Badia (WC GS slope); a few quick laps on that one will get your heart pumpin'. Cinque Torri was fun and not as populated as the rest of Cortina. I'm going back in 3 weeks and my list has Arabba, especially Porta Vescovo, and the Sasslong area of Val Gardena. I'll suggest Kronplatz too, I thought it was a real sleeper, it had some seriously long steep groomers, among the longest in the Dolos, I'd guess. You can bus from Alta Badia. Marmolada is worth doing once, only on a clear day. Expect some queues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks everyone, really appreciate Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any thoughts on the best mountain huts for lunch please? Arrived in Verona
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiben wrote:

In the Dolomites the best mountain hut for lunch will probably be the one you're nearest to at lunchtime.
You'll struggle to find a bad one, in any case, and it might depend on what sort of cuisine you're in the mood for that day.

Scotonis in the Hidden Valley do spectacular grills but they have become a bit of a victim of their fame and success and get very busy.

Friedrich August Hütte above Canazei is good - with added yaks!

Jimmy's Hut near the Passo Sella is well-liked by snowHeads.

Best bet - if you're planning an itinerary for the day - have a look roughly where you're going to be at lunch and do a quick bit of Googling.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@agw, Jimmy’s Hut is on the Passo Gardena
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiben wrote:

Any of the huts involved in the gourmet scheme should be good.

They all have a dish designed by a Michelin starred chef

Don’t worry and think they will be too fancy , the actual dishes themselves are not too expensive and they all have the usual mountain fare alongside.

Ate at a few of these and never had a bad meal.

https://www.altabadia.org/media/Sciare-con-Gusto.pdf
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevinraine wrote:
@agw, Jimmy’s Hut is on the Passo Gardena

Ooops - yes, you are correct. Embarassed
snow conditions
Hope this helps.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXQ1SjGyOgNOvgFa-1IQR6A

If it were me I'd Definately do the ski Panorama route, the Great War route and a day in Cortina. Do you have a car?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy