Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids boots - anything stiffer?

Poster: A snowHead
My 7yr old is flying and loving snowboarding but he was getting quiet tired last week.

He's got a good K2 mini turbo 110cm board + bindings but I think the Burton Boa boots are letting him down. They are designed to be a soft and flexible boot but it seems to be that they are to soft and flexible and he must be wasting a lot of energy shifting from heels side to toes etc. Does anyone have any experience? I can't seem to find any stiffer boys that are available in his size 13/1......are they simply just a beginners bit?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dan, ....which K2 boots are they? The K2 Vandals should be fine ... (name is on the inner label and the sole rand) - if they are vandals then it’s more the bindings than the boots. We used K2 yeah yeah bindings which are excellent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, he has the Burton Boa boots - https://www.burton.com/uk/en/p/burton-grom-boa-snowboard-boot/W17-150891.html?regionSelector=true

I've not seen anything smaller other than the equivalent to the Burton which is the K2 Mini Turbo boots which i'd be interested to know if they are any stiffer than the Burton.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our eldest has the vandal boots (size 5) and yes they are great, much slimmer profile than other boots we tried.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I teach a lot of kids around that age and a full-day of snowboarding is too much for most. I'm sure you're already giving him plenty of rest-breaks, snacks, water, etc. and quitting while you're ahead (leave them wanting more!) but I'll mention all that just in case. It's really not going to be the boots making him tired. Snowboarding is just really tiring for 7 year olds!

Make sure his boots are tight and his binding straps are both properly adjusted and done-up tightly. Kids hardly ever do their bindings up properly.

Well done on getting him on a single plank while he's young, it's so much fun shredding with enthusiastic little kids. Been teaching an 8 year-old this week, this is his 3rd day on a board ever.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I teach a lot of kids around that age and a full-day of snowboarding is too much for most. I'm sure you're already giving him plenty of rest-breaks, snacks, water, etc. and quitting while you're ahead (leave them wanting more!) but I'll mention all that just in case. It's really not going to be the boots making him tired. Snowboarding is just really tiring for 7 year olds!

Well done on getting him on a single plank while he's young, it's so much fun shredding with enthusiastic little kids. Been teaching an 8 year-old this week, this is his 3rd day on a board ever.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dan, ...thanks for the link...I’d put him in Vandals - plenty stiff enough for a Grom I think....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Speaking from experience, teaching keen kids that young, you have a good 10 years ahead of you spending many pleasant hours in the fracture department at the hospital Happy

Social services got stuck into me because my youngest daughter had so many broken bones and sprains, and really didn't get that she was just trying to get her method down Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, thanks, yes, lots of stops with water/hot chocolate/cake/bagettes etc. Rather than pushing him I was just wondering if he'd get more out of it and make it easier with stiffer boots......I guess meaning it would be more efficient? I certainly know my 12+ yr old boots have had it this year (left by the bin in La Clusaz Laughing ), they were making me suffer so when I looked at his super soft boots it got me thinking about him as we were only really doing a couple of hours sliding with all the breaks. He was great at speaking up, saying he was tired and we would then stop.

Great work with the 8yr old, do you know what boots they are using by chance?

Me & the wife both snowboard but we stopped when they arrived 11 yrs ago. We took them both last year for the first time and they snowboarded (there was no question of them skiing, they were disgusted when we even suggested it, lol) and loved it. They didn't have any lessons this time, just cruised around with us.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd also done a (basic) snowboard technicians course so I can look after the families boards (we have a lot now, lol)..........i'd never realised before the high back could be adjusted and should be lined up with the board for effective power transition, so everything was tight and adjusted correctly and checked throughout the day.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 27-02-19 22:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hang11, oh dear is that on the piste or off piste. The boys were very interested in wathcing the considerable number of blood wagon taxis that were buzzing around the mountains last week.

We've survived two trips so far......the obligatory bruised coccyx is the worst we have had so far. They both play rugby and do the other usual things so it's just a matter of time I guess......fingers crossed snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dan, ha, sooo many years of riding and I never thought about rotating the highbacks until I saw someone mention it on SH.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dan, I can't remember which boots he was using, they were rentals and they had boa fasteners is all I can think of!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dan, I can't remember which boots he was using, they were rentals and they had boa fasteners is all I can think of!
latest report
latest report
snow report
snow conditions
ski holidays
@stevomcd, thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy