Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon XPro Boot Flex - HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - Boot Guru advice please . . .

Unfit level 8/9 skier using Salomon XPro 100 boots for the last 4 seasons . . .these were originally fitted by Snow & Rock and have custom insoles and are very comfy; no heel movement, solid around the ankle and forefoot with no chafing - whats not to like? First outing and these boots were a revelation!

My problem is the flex - I'm 6'1" and have remained the same weight (15 stone/95 kgs) since I bought them however the flex has become progressively 'floppier' over the last couple of seasons which I'm sure is affecting my performance / leg pain / calf pain etc. Flex adjuster is permanently set to 'performance' . . Lockwoods also fitted some plastic cuff shims and Sidas expert booster straps a couple of seasons ago however these boots still feel soft and get softer as the day progresses / after sitting in a warm hut at lunch.

Q - Do I need a stiffer boot? Are the plastics on this model inherently softer and therefore the flex rating softer than other models? Just returned from a week in France and whilst I had no specific 'foot comfort' issues I did get significant calf pain midweek . . .obviously I'm used to the boots and actually appreciate the flex in the chop / bumpy piste conditions but get tired quickly on longer / faster runs and can't help thinking that the flex is the issue . . .

Seriously considering buying the same model in 120 / 130 - is this the solution or do I just need to get down to the gym? - HELP!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you may benefit from progressing to a stiffer boot at some point. I'm not sure that a soft boot will cause calf pain. I always do some training before going skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch, Boots feeling and going soft after indoor stops is pretty normal, and the reverse effect of boots feeling really stiff in cold temperatures is also true. What were the temperatures like?

Having said that, I'm 6ft but only 67kg and ski in 120 flex boots, and would find 100 flex boots way to soft.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've started getting side lower leg to calf pain when properly pressuring boots - and I'm a weedy girly in 115 - 120s! But I've also skied XPros in 80w and didn't find any real issues flex-wise; only got rid as they were too big.
It's always a trade off; like you said, flex is great in soft, chop & bumps.
Can you go into a shop and try on the stiffer boots, side by side with your older ones? At least that'd give you some idea. Of course, the boot design & plastics may (or may not) have changed in 4 years, as they do...
Also, there could be actual boot fit (cant, insole, tongue/cuff height, buckle tightness, etc etc) which would merit investigation and could not help calf pain. Worth getting checked?
Are your boots or liners actually worn now? You say 4 seasons, but how many weeks is that?
My suspicion is that you may well need a stiffer boot, and certainly that there's no harm in it (bar to the wallet) - but I'm no boot expert over and above saying that comfort and fit is a very important factor. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All good points . . .boots ARE comfy and suspect midweek calf pain is more to do with poor/lack of pre-season prep - however boots have done 7 weeks in total plus random forays to the snow dome etc so maybe the liners need checking? It was warm in Montgenevre last week but I've skied in warmer / late April previously and they were not as floppy then . . this was without the additional shim and booster strap . . .

Don't think the XPro has changed significantly other than graphics (and the new super expensive carbon boot variant) over the last few years. If I go to a bootfitter will they be able to manually 'see' the difference in shop and recommend accordingly?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
7 weeks is not a lot of use
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kioksor, Agree . . .so why are they feeling floppier than when I first purchased them . . . ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
have you become a better skier in the mean time?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kioksor, . . .maybe . . .definitely carving harder and getting faster at the back end of the week . . .have learnt to 'smash' through the chop better than previously . . .short radius / legs locked turns are probably poorer . . !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are skiing more aggressively, I would be tempted to pick up a stiffer boot. Perhaps in the sales, but not necessarily the same model unless its the best fit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belch wrote:
but get tired quickly on longer / faster runs and can't help thinking that the flex is the issue . . .
That's a stance issue. The flex helps to transmit pressure more quickly to the front of the ski. It's not a crutch.

Belch wrote:
Seriously considering buying the same model in 120 / 130 - is this the solution
Yes. 95kg is too much for a Salomon 100 at speed. I am about 92kg in XMax 120's with zipfits on the performance setting so running at about 135. On the standard flex setting, I overpower them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Raceplate, that's kind of what someone told me in resort - he was lighter at 80kgs but skiing on 90 flex Atomics but skied in a similar style - he mentioned being able to apply pressure to the front of the ski with minimal flex / push . .

For me it feels like I have to 'over push / flex' into the ski to get it to respond which is maybe why it feels like I am perhaps doing twice the work necessary (ie. the boots are working against me)

Would zipfits be a better solution than new boots . . ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Belch, for someone over 6 ft and nearly 100Kg the 100 flex is too soft, your skiing will have progressed in the time you have had them so they will feel softer, the palstics also soften a bit with age and use especially if they are being over worked.... you can stiffen the boot a little by flipping the metal section on the back the other way up, this puts a block int the boot and makes it closer to 110

i would suggest looking at boots 120-130 flex zip fit liners will stiffen them by another 5-10 points depending on the shell also

(depending on size we will have some deals on X Pro 120 coming up in a month or so)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:
For me it feels like I have to 'over push / flex' into the ski to get it to respond which is maybe why it feels like I am perhaps doing twice the work necessary (ie. the boots are working against me)

Would zipfits be a better solution than new boots . . ?

My gut feeling from what you've said is that your skiing stance is too low. Tiredness (presumably in the thighs) on a long run is because your thighs are not upright enough. This can be caused by being in the back seat but probably not in your case as you're talking about actively flexing the boot. More likely that your low stance means the boot is permanently flexed forward instead of in its neutral position and then to get further pressure requires a lot of extra effort which makes your calves ache. Basically, your knees are too far forward in your neutral skiing position and you need to stand taller. Think of your legs as a coiled spring which is permanently compressed - to compress it any further requires a lot of effort.

I don't think zipfits are the answer in isolation. Zipfits add about 10 flex points but I don't think it's enough for your stats. The c£250 for them vs c£300 in an end-of-season sale for 120/130 boots makes the boots better value and you can always add the zipfits later once you have the right shell.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raceplate, . . what your saying makes sense - on easy trails / long schusses I do feel like I 'actively' have to stand tall to relieve any pressure - relaxing returns my stance to putting pressure on the balls of my feet instantaneously and even at low speeds . . .

I remember when the boots were originally fitted having heel lifts added to reduce chaffing at the front of the ankle . . could this be also contributing to the permanently forward stance? These boots also have an 'oversized' pivot - could this be adding to the problem?

Would I be foolish to assume that a 120/130 variant of exactly the same boot would resolve everything or would it be better to start again? As previously mentioned slightly reticent to do the latter based on current boot comfort (other than the tiredness / inefficiency bit) & possible increased cost however also don't want to stop myself improving with a boot that's not really helping my skiing . . .
latest report
@Belch, To be blunt, your current boots are wrong for you, and will hold back your skiing. Go see Colin at Solutions for Feet, be honest about your skiing style and ability, and he will sort you out. It will cost, but it will be worth it.
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
I remember when the boots were originally fitted having heel lifts added to reduce chaffing at the front of the ankle . . could this be also contributing to the permanently forward stance?
Undoubtedly. No idea why you'd have heel lifts except for anatomical reasons. My understanding is that heel lifts are normally added for people with dorsiflexion issues. Poor dorsiflexion could well be the root cause of your problems and would certainly cause tight calves.

Belch wrote:
These boots also have an 'oversized' pivot - could this be adding to the problem?
No. The pivot is to improve pressure transfer to the ski edge when angling the boot for carving.

You're obviously out of balance (too far forward) in your boots which is messing up your stance. As a minimum, I would chuck the heel lifts and start again. Do calf stretching exercises (heel lifts, heel drops off a step) to increase range of motion in your ankle. Get a neutral position custom insole if you don't already have one (it can be transferred to a new boot later on).

Make sure the lower leg (ankle) buckle is as tight as possible without cutting off circulation - this keeps your heel in the back of the boot and prevents ankle chafing. Make sure the shin buckle and power strap are a matching tightness which will put your lower leg at the correct forward lean angle that the boot was designed for. Your thighs will become more upright automatically and the weight should be more evenly distributed through the length of your foot rather than on the balls.

CEM is as good as anybody to go see for more in depth stance analysis and a stiffer boot.
latest report
@RobinS, . . .through gritted teeth I agree . .

Have been seriously considering solutions for feet (over Lockwoods / Pro Feet / Ski Bartlett / S&R) - Bicester is only down the m40 . . .my nervousness is that they can only really be fully tested on the snow . . .

Suppose the only other alternative is to get boots fitted 'in resort' on recommendation, but this would mean a lot of faff in a week that I'd want to make the most of and potentially booking a resort I have no desire to go to. . .!
snow conditions
@Raceplate,

Everything you are saying makes sense - I do calf stretching (I tore my calf in a snowdome a couple of seasons ago) and believe I have a reasonable range. Boots already have custom insoles but not sure whether they are neutral or not (I remember some to-ing and fro-ing from S&R and the snow dome before they were 'perfect')

Always buckle up as you've described - my heels are well locked in current boots and toe buckles can be flicked on with my little finger with minimal effort . . .the boots themselves are just too floppy when actually skiing! . . .looks like I'll be giving CEM a call and getting the plastic out . . . . . Sad Sad
snow conditions
@CEM,

Apols - I've only just seen your post nestled amongst the others!

Have already flipped the setting to performance (110) and have pimped boots with shin cuffs / boosters . . .will give you a bell soon. Presume if I bought my current boots you could perhaps 'see' the problem and recommend accordingly? A little nervous about £££ for new boots and liners . . .please be kind lol !!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy