Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best railway staton to meet near Eurotunnel (other than Ashford)

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to figure out the most efficient railway station to meet my wife when I am driving to Eurotunnel on route to France. She will be travelling by train from the city while I will be driving along the M20 from SW London. Timing is such that I cannot wait for her to come home from work before setting off. We have tried Ashford in the past and were quite delayed by roadwork and one-way system around the station - an easier / smaller alternative would be great? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ebbsfleet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ebbsfleet if going via A2 is no major issue (more trains stop there)
Ashford otherwise
Sevenoaks won't gain anything over Ashford

depends where you're driving from (I assume M25/M26/M20?), and from where in the city.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ozboy, probably not in the right direction for you but we've dropped our son and another couple of travelling snowHeads off at Dartford station before which worked much better than when we collected from Ashford.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
depends where "the city" is. if the west end, then getting to any south eastern london terminus is easy, so Dartford, perhaps Swanley?, Ebbsfleet, Ashford, or an oddball... Snodland (tiny station, just off M20, direct link to StPancras iirc).
If "the city" really means the city, then STP or Stratford Intl to your choice of Ebbsfleet or Ashford any day. Huge free pickup drop off area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy, Yes driving M25/26/20. Wife works in Aldwych / Fleet St area and can easily access a St Pancras and London Bridge.

Also open to anything that is a short diversion from the M25.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi - I live very close to Ashford and although I dont have the need to drive around the town during busy times, generally getting from Ashford station to the M20 Junction 10 (or 9) should only take you 10 mins max and is a relatively straightforward journey. Currently there are no road works etc that would impact on this journey.
Hope that helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If from St Pancras, either Ashford International, or Folkestone West - it's about 15 minutes more on the train. Folkestone West is 5 - 10 minutes from Eurotunnel. Ashford, come off M20 at J9 head for centre - there's no one way, but it's a weird road system - to the station, then head out on the A292 Hythe Road to J10. For Folkestone West, go to J12, take the B2064 into Cheriton for around a mile, turn right by Domino's and follow the road to the station. If you are early, there are waiting spaces. Just reverse the route until you get to the M20 J12, then head for the A20 - straight across - and follow road for a couple of miles, over roundabout & then immediately onto slip to Eurotunnel.

There are petrol stations along this road and Tescos at J12.

I'm not sure of trains from London Bridge, but Charing Cross is also direct to above stations, but is slower. Around 1.5 hours. Although there are a couple of smaller stations Westenhanger & Sandling, that are between Ashford & Folkestone, they are as difficult to get to as Ashford International. Ebbsfleet is way off the track & almost an hour from Eurotunnel.

Don't forget the roadworks at Maidstone & Ashford which can be slow & the speed cameras in each section.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If wanting to avoid Ashford, then I'd pick Ebbsfleet, unless it's significantly easier to get to CharingCross or London Bridge, or there's a really handy Cannon St. train.
The deviation off the M25 for Dartford etc. isn't going to be any better than the deviation off the M20 for Ashford.
23 mins from St.Pancras to Ebbsfleet, and every HiSpeed Javelin stops there.

edit: or the Hi-Speed St.Pancras to Folkestone above^ (I only really know the north kent - London bit, and nobody goes the slow way to Charing Cross any more, cos the HiSpeed halves the journey time)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all - think we are going to give Ashford one more chance, or looking at Leatherhead which is where I join the M25.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, What day/time are you hitting Ashford? If Friday pm, or any pm, do not head back to M20 past designer outlet. The traffic on the Ashford Orbital where the new junction is being built can be a nightmare.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, You could try either Bearsted or Hollingbourne. Easy access from the M20 just past Maidstone. You would need to check if the trains stop there though as they are small stations and what you would gain on the car access times you would lose time on the train journeys. Ashford will give you the high speed train but the trick is to access the station via the town and not using the sign posted route.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its Friday at the start of half term. I am picking up kids form school at 12:30 and aiming for a 15:30 ish crossing. Wife finishing work at 12:30.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, @BergenBergen, I think those stations ^ are on the line from Victoria. Hollingbourne better than Bearsted as closer to J8 (just)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ashford should be OK at that time, either way out. Think there is a train from St Pancras to Ashford at 12 minutes past the hour -37minutes travel. Direct to Folkestone is 37 minutes past the hour -52 minutes, which also goes through Ashford. The trains leave Stratford International about 7 minutes later than St P.

Hope the journey goes well and I might see you at Eurotunnel as we are hoping to be there for that time...ish Smile
snow report
@BergenBergen, We made this mistake last time at Ashford where I was waiting on the wrong side by the international terminal.
ski holidays
@BergenBergen, @knackered knees, Just spent some time looking at all the different suggestions and decided on Bearsted. It only adds 6 mins to journey by getting off at J7 and rejoining at J8 along a parallel road. The train leave London Victoria at 12:55 and arrives at 14:04 which I think concises closely with the time I will arrive by road. Wife will need to leave work at 12:20 to grab the tube to Victoria. Bearstead is also a good spot to meet up with our friends car who are coming from Ascot and will follow us to Chatel, via an overnight stop in Beaune.

We are booked in the 15:50 crossing and this gives us a chance at an earlier crossing. I will start a thread for the drive down and hopefully may be able to see some snowHead waiting at the terminal.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, Sounds like a plan Very Happy . There are services at J9 so it may be easier to meet your friends there, rather than Bearsted. I would suggest coming off at J9 and not J8 as it's not a great road - narrow in places and heavyish traffic from J8 to Bearsted. 6 minues is optimistic.
ski holidays
@knackered knees, Bearsted looks to be between J7 and J8?
snow conditions
I live in Bearsted. I'd chose to meet at Ashford International if I was the OP, but that's because I hate the M20 J7 roundabout. But if you are meeting at Bearsted going coastbound it's exit at J7 and rejoin the M20 at J8. To join at J9 it would be 15 miles down the A20.
latest report
Sorry as @Android2000 says, it is between 7 & 8. But comments re the roads haven't changed. Trying to prepare a presentation and responding to the thread Embarassed

Personally and as with Android2000 I would go to Ashford or Folkestone West if coming from Aldwych via the high speed.
latest report
If you are travelling from SW London, Merstham is literally on the M25, you'd have to get off at Jct 8 and drive across but well served by trains from ViC and LBG/Thameslink
snow report
Another thought - West Malling station on the same Victoria-Ashford line as Bearsted, and very close (down dual carriageway) to M20 J4 - probably 5 minute drive. Also be aware that the M20 is 50mph between J3 and J7 at the moment, 3 narrow lanes and no hard shoulder, for smart motorway roadworks.
ski holidays
And it’s closed at the weekend:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140919
snow report
As a follow up on this we ended up meeting my wife at Bearsted station which worked out really well. I left Fulham at 12:30 by car and she left work in Aldwych, London a 12:15 getting the train from Victoria. We arrived within a minute of one another and fled leaving the M20 at J7 and rejoining at J8 did not add too much to the journey as this station avoids a town Center. Will do it again but probably not after dark as the station is quite remote if she has to wait.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy