Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving up 10 places to number 4.

Poster: A snowHead
Best ski's of all time.( This, in Salomon's case are skis that changed how we ski)
10: Salomon Pocket Rocket.
9: Salomon X-Scream Pilot
8: Dynastar Pro Model
7: Atomic Ten-Ex
6: Volkl V-Explosive.
5: Dynastar Speed 63 (down two places)
4: Dynastar: Arno Adam Pro Model.
3: K2 Four (up two places)
2: K2 Ak Launcher
1: Volkl Karma.

Little Angel

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-03-06 13:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unkie, I would have thought the Solly F9 would qualify in that list, and I'd replace number 7 with the Axis X Pro.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is that based on punter feedback or personal choice?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WHAT???? NO ROSSI B2???
Shocked Shocked Shocked

wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a mere motal compared to a lot of snowheads here but gotta say that the ski that I would claim as my favourite of all time goes to the Volkl P9 followed closely by the K2 velocity.

Watch this space though cause I'm sure the karmas will soon overtake them if the demo was anything to go by.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Admittedly, I haven't experienced the joys of all of those on your list, but I would propose also:

Dynamic VR17 or 27
K2 Extreme (my all-time favorite)
Rossi 4S, 7G
Volkl P9

just my 2p worth
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is that based on punter feedback or personal choice?

No it's a programme on Channel 4 later this week.

A one hour programme with ski anecdotes from Jamie Theakston, Fiona Bruce and other minor celebrities.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchigo, really, do you know when it's on?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SZK, My dear semi-mythical boy, I think not.

Your thesis is "revolutionary" is it not?

10: Salomon Pocket Rocket - dull, dull dull.
9: Salomon X-Scream - OK. you're right. Non-skinny skiing for the masses or the hungover. A truly revolutionary ski.
8: Dynastar Pro Model - nope. Dynas Course with red bobbles are different or the Course WC with the behind boot SL side cut waist are different matters.
7: K2 Apache Chief - nope.
6: Volkl V-Explosive - nope. Try any P-9 RD ski though and now we're talking. Maybe the original Snow Ranger if we're being kind.
5: K2 Four - why, cos' it had a wee red LED driven by a silly little transducer?
4: Dynastar: Arno Adam Pro Model. - Don't know it, won't argue.
3: Dynastar Speed 63 - why? See 8 above.
2: K2 Ak Launcher - you love your fat skis don't you? Learn to ski free ride on 205 GS skis is my advice!
1: Volkl Karma. - No NO NO NOOOO you are wrong. Stoeckli Asteroids if you MUST!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, You're such a synic Davey, all the above skis revolutionaised skiing, either by shape, construcion or materials. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I know, I know. I will admit, I wasn't including construction or materials as I am not as "in the know" as your almost-legendary self.

I would have to add the Rossi 7SK somewhere...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit bored with this as I know nothing about ski's apart from they attch to a ski boot and they are really useful in going downhill in or on snow.

My starter for 10:
Chairlifts that slow down to pick you up and drop you off.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
9: Travelators at the bottom of chairlifts that allow the chair to pick you up and travel at faster speeds without breaking your legs
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8. Electronic lift passes, the ones where you just ski past a reader.

7. Organised lift queues.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6. Perspex bubbles on chairlifts

... being cold on a chair lasts an eternity ... being banged on pickup is a mere moment of pain ...
snow report
10: Salomon Pocket Rocket. - Sorry guys, foam core but such fun! Always reccommend this ski for the ladies that want to learn to ski powder. Nimble, floaty, forgiving and bags of fun.
9: Salomon X-Scream - Punter ski. Was OK. Now replaced by the B2
8: Dynastar Pro Model - Yup. Superb ride.
7: K2 Apache Cheif. - Is that the big black one? never skied it.
6: Volkl V-Explosive. - Come On. Best ski in the world. Indestructable. Love it.
5: K2 Four. - My old Tele ski. Love it. Think the Extreme should have been here instead though.
4: Dynastar: Arno Adam Pro Model. - Real pruddy ski.
3: Dynastar Speed 63 - If you gotta turn this is the ski you would do it on.
2: K2 Ak Launcher - My old AT ski. Superb. The first fat ski I owned. Broke it bad.
1: Volkl Karma. - Always rated but I'll never own it because it doesn't fit in my life.

A great list. Missing 88 RC4 Vacuums for my all time fave piste ski. mmMMmmmMMmmm still turning like I did with that ski Twisted Evil
snow report
Red Bull
ski holidays
Quote:

7: K2 Apache Chief

why them? I skied on them this year and didnt find them remotely special - not bad, just unremarkable.

Don't you think Atomic achieved something with the beta construction - some of those skis (R9, REX?) seem to offer pretty amazing performance to weight ratios?

J
ski holidays
jedster, Yep, you choose at what point in enters the chart. Atomic Ten-EX, R-Ex, and i think first time round it was the 11-20 or 10-20 ? Anyone know for sure?

Admin, any way we could start a Hit Parade for skis? Little Angel
ski holidays
think it was ten-ex, 11-20 was v stiff, heavier and skinnier and dont think 10-20 was as fat as a ten-ex but I could be wrong...
snow conditions
Atomic Metron series, especially the B5. Completely revolutionary. To the point that now, two seasons later, a huge segment of the industry still doesn't understand what they do, how they do it, and why it is so revolutionary for recreational skiers. Frankly, way more revolutionary than any of the skis listed here.
ski holidays
Volkl Vertigo G4
ski holidays
10. Volkl Vertigo G4
9. Volkl Vertigo G4
8. Volkl Vertigo G4
7. Volkl Vertigo G4
6. Volkl Vertigo G4
5. Stockli Stormrider DP Pro
4. Stockli Stormrider DP Pro
3. Stockli Stormrider DP Pro
2. Stockli Stormrider DP Pro
1. Stockli Stormrider DP Pro

Others are fun/amusing/good for a specific purpose but none so good as these two...

X-Screams by the way? Please, live a little!! Next someone will suggest B2s...... Twisted Evil snowHead
ski holidays
Powderhound wrote:
Next someone will suggest B2s...... Twisted Evil snowHead

the absence of the B2 has already been raised...
wink
ski holidays
To carry on the diversion ...................

5. Purpose built ski-resorts

Smile
snow conditions
Powderhound,

The thread suggestion was, I thought, 10 best of all time so since the Xscream brought in a whole new ski type then I think its valid in the original list. Not suggesting it is a ski to use now...but back then 5-6 years ago, it was quite a ski IMV
ski holidays
Last version of Bandit XX should be in there, not the B2 which was no where near as good.
Volkl Supersport 5 star
snow report
All of the Above skis were ground breaking, others listed although good(Someone did say METRON which in my circles wouldn't be skied on grass let alone when there is snow), in someway copied the technology or Ethic. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossi 4S ? (the green one) - made us all want to ski like Tomba ?

The X-scream certainly was the first of the new generation (OK old now) 'all mountain' skis. What about the orginal Force 3S - at the time all the top skis where SL/GS, whereas the F9 was marketed as all mountain. There was a really good poster (I thought) in the Day-lodge at Cairngorm showing a fighter pilot helmet, the skis and a nice narrow couloir...
ski holidays
Ground breaking, may mean not really the best................

So Salomons pilot system as the first built in binding system, (now dumped?) and the Crossmax as the first cross type ski.

Rossignol 4S from the 1980's, according to my dad, didn't last very long however.
ski holidays
carroz, Pilot, forgot and deserves it's place no matter how awful, even if the Dentists and Bankers do still love them. Laughing
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing
snow report
I think the Dynamic VR 27 SL (the original version) has to have a place in the top ten of all time - that was truly an amazing ski. Also the Rossignol Strato 102, again the best slalom ski of it's generation, one of the first fibreglass laminate skis. (Newer skiers do NOT confuse this ski with the more modern namesake). I would also like to add a plug for the Head Cyber Space - one of the first really curvy carvers - still a decent ski today (If you can find one that isn't dead). When they got old I forced my fave shop to hang onto them for beginners - perfect, soft and they turned on a thought. K2 KVC was a very good ski too.. Of course these are all basically turny skis - shows my preference... Shocked

BTW I hated the X Screams - really clumsy and slow turning!!!
snow report
No room for the Voelkl Gotama? The future size and shape of the off piste weapon of choice?

Gotama and Mantra definitely the local's faves where I was skiing last couple of weeks.
latest report
How can you forget the original 1080 skis. Look what they have done to the industry. Where would we be without any twin tips
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Someone did say METRON which in my circles wouldn't be skied on grass let alone when there is snow
As you wish. I find them the best all-around ski I've ever been on. But, I tend not to straight-line; I prefer tight turns and arcing if I can't find soft snow.
snow conditions
ssh, I couldn't find a pair to try this year - I would have liked the women's. I saw a new pair on a stand outside a shop in Megeve, but they were very heavy. I can't imagine sitting on a chairlift with them dangling on my feet?
latest report
Hmmm, no Elan? They invented modern carving skis AFAIK!

Which one's the off-the-shelf ski that Bode started winning on? (when everyone else was on 'straight' skis). the K2 Four? That should be near the top!

Haven't skied the Karma, but why are they so good / revolutionary compared to the Gotama, Mantra, etc? (I do like Volkl, just curious...)

Volant Spatula???
snow report
Cedric, Agreed K2 Four, gets a climb up the hit parade.
Elan's Development was due to the guys at Nordica. The head guy is still there and can tell how often you have skied your skis, buy putting them base to base and listning to the sound created! Genius.
Karma is for me the first ski to take all of the best development ideas of recent years and combining them to give you a ski that will out last the owner. We've had a pair in the shop for 4 winters now, that everyone skis, so it's out all week being skied, everywhere an hard. It's still as much fun everytime!
Spatula, crazy not ground breaking.

Viceversa, The Pocket Rocket, for me, combined both the structure of the 1080, although not the original and was the first modern powder ski with sidecut and accessability. Little Angel
ski holidays
heated chairlift seats
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy