Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please, arriving overnight Eurostar to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'd be grateful for your advice please. I'll be going to Les Arcs in March with 3 other friends, staying in a self catering apartment in Arc 2000. We'll be getting the overnight Eurostar there and back (as couldn't argue with £99 return). For the day we arrive, we'll be getting there at 0630ish in the morning and we're not sure whether to ski that day or not. I don't tend to sleep that well on any kind of transport and we're all thinking that realistically we might be a bit too tired to ski that first Saturday. I have my own kit but the others don't so would mean an extra days ski hire for them.

So I was wondering what you all suggest doing over the course of the day? I've never actually spent any time in Bourg St Maurice so wondering if we can leave luggage at the station and spend the morning having a wonder, getting some breakfast and perhaps lunch and then heading up the funicular early afternoon. Any suggestions where to go? Sightsee? Eat?

I've booked through the Les Arcs Reservations website and I've asked when the apartment would be ready from but other then 5pm on my voucher they've not been able to be anymore specific then this. I can imagine us really flagging in the afternoon and just wanting to nap somewhere. Wondering if theres a hotel or spa we could go, order a few drinks/snacks and then perhaps discreetly nap on their sofas? wink

On the following Saturday we definitely intend to ski. Looking on their website I see that you can get a Saturday day pass at a good rate by reloading our ski passes online. Is this straightforward to do?

Any other tips or suggestions from people who've taken the overnight Eurostar would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me the main advantage of the overnight Eurostar is the (two) extra days' skiing, so in your position I would want to get up to resort, find somewhere to stash luggage, and ski! Just go to bed early Saturday night to catch up on sleep.

- Funiculaire doesn't open until 8:30(?), so certainly look for breakfast first.
- IMHO there isn't a lot to see in Bourg St Maurice.
- Saturdays are the least busy day on the slopes - most people think that means better skiing!
- Some apartments may have a left luggage facility, or somewhere you can get changed, even if you can't get into your rooms until the evening.
- If not perhaps try the tourist office, or even a friendly nearby bar - particularly if it is somewhere you might go later in the week. You might also need it on the last day, when you will probably have to leave your apartment in the morning before skiing for the day.
- Pack your case/bag so that it is easy to get changed and leave a single tidy bag for someone to store. E.g. have socks, goggles/sun-glasses, gloves, sun cream and everything for your pockets packed together.
- Ski hire shops are often not that busy on Saturday morning, but can get much busier later when everyone else arrives.
- If you definitely want to ski on the last Saturday I would probably just buy a 7/8 rather than a 6/7 day pass at outset - the difference between the two is probably not much different to the cost of the Saturday day pass and avoids the hassle. (I think you have to book the Saturday pass in advance - not sure how far?)

Perhaps ask on the Les Arcs thread - someone there might have more detailed knowledge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never been in so no first hand knowledge but what about the leisure facilities at 1800?
https://en.lesarcs.com/wellness-at-the-swimming-pool.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was a good thread on this last season, which I can't find, but someone else may locate.

It deals exactly with arrival, cafés timing etc, so would give you a great deal of help.

Thinking risk wise, I'd rather get on up to 2000 ASAP as you can chill up there, ski if you feel ok once exposed to the fresh air and a walk around. Plus your friends should be on for getting hire kit at less busy time.

Coming back down is more of a risk logically for potential to miss the train home. Then, I would perhaps take a couple of extra hours in BSM so you are already there to walk into check in. There's quite a few restaurants, café etc right across from station to have a leisurely meal before departure without sweating it.

There not too much to see in BSM, decent town but not enough to spend the day when you're heading for skiing. I'd much rather sit in 2000 and hopefully in the sun even if you don't ski.

Perhaps more recommendations for lunch up there would suit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ecureuil wrote:
... - Funiculaire doesn't open until 8:30(?), so certainly look for breakfast first.
I got that wrong - it starts at 07:30; but still worth getting breakfast in BSM if Eurostar arrives on time. On Saturdays it runs until 21:00, so should be no problem getting back to BSM for check-in, which probably doesn't open until around then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The bar restaurant on the roundabout at the bus station/funicular road serves from 7am, I think....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also get a bus up the mountain if you don't want to wait for the funiculaire. The funiculaire only takes you up to 1600 in any case, from where you can get a free navette to 2000 I think.

If set on not skiing on Saturday, and you do want to lounge around in Bourg Saint Maurice for a bit, there is apparently a place in or near the station to leave luggage there on Saturdays, but it only opens at 8:
https://www.lesarcs.com/services-bagageries-bourg-saint-maurice/bagagerie-de-bourg-saint-maurice.html

IMO Bourg Saint Maurice is not a very exciting place TBH, and I think you'd be better off heading up to resort for the day.

Re leaving bags in resort, some (maybe most?) appartments will offer a place to leave your bags for the day if you're staying there. Worth contacting Les Arcs Reservation directly to enquire in your case. If not, the tourist office in 2000 has a bagagerie according to here:
https://www.lesarcs.com/services-bagageries/bagagerie-darc-2000.html
only opens at 8:30, mind, but if you have breakfast in Bourg first you won't be there much before than anyway. Cheap enough too, at 2 euros a bag. Somewhat bizarrely, there isn't a bagagerie in Arcs 1600 (though there are two in 1800), but since you're staying up in 2000 this doesn't really matter.

Personally I agree with @ecureuil that Saturday is one of the more pleasant days for skiing, so I wouldn't rule out that option yet. Prepare bags as he advises to have ski stuff easily accessible, and if you feel fresh enough then go for it!

Re lounging places, I'm afraid I've never been to Les Arcs, so can't really help. Is there somewhere similar to La Maison du Lac in Tignes does anyone know? If so that could be an option for just parking yourselves and dozing for a couple of hours.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No worse than skiing with a hangover and it’ll make the day pass quicker. Otherwise you’ll just be watching the clock feeling cr*pand getting frustrated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At that price the Eurostar is probably not going t be that busy - so might be worth taking a light sleeping bag and laying down under the seats. At least that's what I did.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for your responses so far, they're much appreciated.

The 3 friends I'm going with are relatively new to skiing, for one its their 1st proper week having only done a weekend in Innsbruck before, so that plus the 9hour train ride with possibly little sleep has led me to wonder about what if we don't ski on that 1st Saturday - I don't want to exhaust them/put them off.

So we arrive 0630ish and sounds like a breakfast place is just opposite from what people have said. Then the decision is whether to mooch around Bourg for the morning - I wasn't sure if there's a nice town centre or square to maybe hang out in before getting a late morning/early afternoon funicular up to Les Arcs.

Judging from people's responses it seems the suggestion is to head up once the funicular opens (which I believe is 0730 on Sats). I know we can leave bags at the tourist office in Arc 2000 if we can't leave it at the accommodation. So then what to do till the accommodation becomes available? I agree that once sat in resort then will probably feel FOMO for not skiing when everyone else is.

My friends have ski rental booked for Sun-Fri (part of a package with ski lessons). I'm not sure if they will charge an extra day if we try collecting in the morning. I'm guessing we'll have to pay for the extra day on the 2nd Saturday as we'll definitely have a full day's ski then.

Ive had a look at spa options and there appears to be a spa in 1950 and 2000 which both open at 2pm so might be an option for then. And we may well be flagging by then!

Any other suggestions gratefully received Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would have a leisurely breakfast at the nearest café to the station in bourg and get yourselves up to Arc 2000 and ask your accommodation if they have a room they could keep your bags in until the apartment is ready. Official check in is usually 5 but we have often had access to apartments any time from 1pm onwards.

You could then pay for a 2 hour session at the Taj I Mah hotel spa in 2000 or the Deep Nature spa in 1950.
From memory I think there is also an easy walking trail from Arc 2000 so you could go for a potter to a mountain restaurant for lunch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a baggage storage place in at 1600. It's at the laundry in the place of the dead tree..

As said earlier bourg is not the most exciting of towns (few are). However the real problem is what yo do with the beginners on the first satuturday.

May I suggest getting breakfast in bourg getting the funicular up and the bus to 2000.
Dump your luggage, have a wander about locating your shops etc. Get the bus to 1800 and spend your afternoon in the pool and sauna. Get the ski hire sorted, have an early night and start on the Sunday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowymum wrote:
I would have a leisurely breakfast at the nearest café to the station in bourg and get yourselves up to Arc 2000 and ask your accommodation if they have a room they could keep your bags in until the apartment is ready. Official check in is usually 5 but we have often had access to apartments any time from 1pm onwards.

You could then pay for a 2 hour session at the Taj I Mah hotel spa in 2000 or the Deep Nature spa in 1950.
From memory I think there is also an easy walking trail from Arc 2000 so you could go for a potter to a mountain restaurant for lunch.

This.
A few years ago, snowymum sent me to my first French Alps ski trip. Only to return for more. Best advices ever! Many many thanks Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my experience hire shops normally let you have the 7th day free, if that helps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le Tonneau is the nearest bar to the station in Bourg, I believe that opens at around 7 am so you can easily get breakfast there, I echo what others have said in that there really isn't that much to Bourg so you may wish to head up the mountain after breakfast, however as your accommodation is self catering you might think it worth visiting the bigish supermarket in Bourg before you head up the mountain as the choice and prices in here will be better than those in the smaller supermarkets actually in resort, you could easily leave one member of your party with bags at the café/bar after breakfast and the others could take a little walk to the super market. This would probably kill a little more time for you and save some pennies as well
snow conditions
Just seen that there's apparently a market in Bourg on Saturday mornings (until 1pm). That could be worth a look if you enjoy that sort of thing.
https://www.lesarcs.com/agenda/marche-hebdomadaire.html
snow conditions
+ 1 for Snowymum's advice. The Deep Natur spa at 1950 is a great way to spend an afternoon after a long train journey - adrenalin and the newness of it all will see you through the morning, I've no doubt.

And yes, FOMO will kick in if you don't have a definite plan before you start the day!!

Having said that, most places will allow you to get you hire kit sorted out well in advance of your 'official' starting day - perhaps not at 9:30 am, but certainly by lunchtime. So if your friends want a little pootle, you can get from 2000 to 1950 by ski, and return via the free Cabriolet lift without having to buy a Saturday pass (or even go all the way down to Pre St Esprit and get the bus back). Haven't used it in a while, but I believe the St Jacques beginners lift is free on a Saturday too?

OTOH, if you've got your passes through a deal, they may be the Paradiski ones which give you a half day at the start of your holiday included for free - check see what they've included for you.

Re-loading your skipasses on-line is dead easy: all you need is area you want, duration, pass number and a name (and that will include your funicular price for the return journey - ie don't buy an 'allez et retour' on your way up). As long as you do it at least 10 minutes prior to hitting the first lift-gate, you'll be fine (it may be less time, but it takes us 10 mins to get from apartment to lift, so that's my experience: close laptop, get to boot room, ski...).

If you want to go for Carre neige insurance when you extend, there are two kinds on offer - go for the cheaper: the more expensive one includes pre-arrival cancellation insurance, which is really not appropriate in your case.

Boug itself is a typical town - there is a market area to explore, quirky little back streets and shops and there may be a fete in town. Certainly there are squares off the main highway for people watching and quite a few diverse restaurants. But it has no major attractions - zoo, cathederal, sculptures or that ilk - although there is a cheese museum. It can be quite dreary if you are just killing time (says the man who had to spend two days hobbling around after a piste collision).
If you do want to explore, then I'd suggest 2nd Saturday: finish skiing early/mid afternoon, get changed and down the hill by about 5ish, and that gives you a few hours to look around and find a nice cafe to chill before the Eurostar check-in scrum.

In summary: Get to the mountain, explore your surroundings in 2000 and 1950 (2000 can be quite a maze, so it won't be wasted time), get your hire gear, book an evening meal - the eateries get quite busy on a Saturday night as people arrive late and don't want to self cater - potentially snooze in the spa's relaxation zone, and get ready for enjoying Sunday!
ski holidays
I have quite enjoyed wondering around the market in BSM but it doesn`t take long. The cheese shop just over from the station is worth a look and making some purchases, if carrying them is not an issue. The town is fine to look around but really nothing special. There are some nice places for lunch though. Le Tonneau (mentioned above) was good when we ate there though not as early as you need.

If you are under 25 the buses from Bourg up to resorts are very cheap, but if you have your ski passes I believe the funicular is free.

It might be worth considering getting a quote for a cab up to resort. Some years back I arrived by train, took a cab (all pre arranged by email in English) to the Super U did a large shop, then the cabbie came back (having done another job but kept our luggage in the boot of his car) and took us up to Arc 2000 (bit of a scary ride with that particular driver) IIRC it was about £80, so although you undoubtedly save on the cost of your food (and drink) and have much more choice, it likely works out more expensive overall than other options. I would still do it because food shopping in Arc 2000 is (certainly used to be) very limited. It was better to go down to 1950.
latest report
@drporat, thank you for your kind words snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
It's about €50 for a cab from the station to 1800 so €80 to 2000 sounds about right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy