Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding in France

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if this could be a scam? Seems to be odd for a few to be coming in this week. Worth calling to check.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Stumbler, see your point, but the issue is now with me and my HR department who are asking for it....I could play the villian and say it wasn't me, but all the other drivers registered to drive this vehicle are in my family, so I/we would have to refund them at some stage! Gets my goat though!!
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Simon94, do not claim it wasn’t you if it was - they have photos. In my view if you were speeding just pay the €45 and be done with it.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stumbler wrote:
I'd suggest the FB is a fake. Especially with the word "Violation" in it - it's an Americanism. I've yet to have a speeding fine from an EU country when driving a UK plated car there (having been flashed plenty on the motorways). Rental car tickets generally make it to the doormat thanks to the hire companies grassing me up and charging me so to do. There's no point in paying them: it's not an arrestable offence, and you are receiving the notification as the likely driver - but the fact is not proven. I've never had any bother going back and renting more cars, and never had any come-back at a roadside stop either.

contravention(Fr) = violation(Eng) if you stick it into Google translate. Looks a very good fake if it is. Just in English instead of French.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could this be a case of the French keeping track of UK registered addresses after signing up for a vignette?
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ozboy - La Republique Francaise
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ukbabz, if you mean the peage electronic tag (AKA doofer)? Car registrations are not provided at signup as they are not linked to cars.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's definitely a legitimate fine and I would imagine they are getting the information from the DVLA.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, I think that ukbabz is thinking of the Crit'Air vignette. To apply for it you send an image of the car registration document, which has your address on it.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quickest way to find if it's pukka is to stick the details in here:

https://www.amendes.gouv.fr/tai

The e-payment number and the key can be found on the payment form.
The e-payment number consists of 4 blocks of 4 4 4 and 2 numbers or 5 blocks of 4 4 4 4 and 2 numbers and the key is on the right and is a 2-digit number.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just paid the fine electronically, it was legitimate.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a couple of years now DVLA have dished out registered keeper details to other EU police forces, so you get legitimate speeding tickets arrive on your doorstep. We have had them from Germany and Austria, but the fines are pretty trivial so just pay up.
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
Stumbler wrote:
I'd suggest the FB is a fake. Especially with the word "Violation" in it - it's an Americanism. I've yet to have a speeding fine from an EU country when driving a UK plated car there (having been flashed plenty on the motorways). Rental car tickets generally make it to the doormat thanks to the hire companies grassing me up and charging me so to do. There's no point in paying them: it's not an arrestable offence, and you are receiving the notification as the likely driver - but the fact is not proven. I've never had any bother going back and renting more cars, and never had any come-back at a roadside stop either.

contravention(Fr) = violation(Eng) if you stick it into Google translate. Looks a very good fake if it is. Just in English instead of French.

Not a fake. The one I posted up is addressed to a friend of a friend and others have also received them in this thread.

If you aren't familiar with the area/the limits, the simple answer is to use Waze or a TomTom sat nav with camera alerts.

By the way, there was a police car with a radar gun on the A41 in the road works, between Bardonnex and Chambery the other week. I got a 'slow down' hand wave but think I was only a couple of Kmh over partly as Waze had flagged up 'Police reported ahead'. Other cars were going through at 130kmh. The Police were radioing ahead and pulling cars at the first toll booths (where you would take a ticket). The coppers taking fines with credit card machines were very busy!!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a fake - I've just had one today. I saw the camera flash in the way down to Chatel for half term and I've been busted! Nothing to do but suck it up and pay.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best pay a lot more attention to speed around Chambery, there are at least 4 cameras on the route back to the UK around there, they are the new type that are a single column. Enforcing the 90kph limit.
snow conditions     
I have just had an email flyer from "the local" highlighting an article about a UK tourist having their identity stolen in france and as a consequence then receiving numerous speeding fines from france ? I am afraid I am too tight to subscribe and my free views have run out Laughing so anybody else seen the article ?
latest report     
Not everything is slow and bureaucratic in France Very Happy A speeding fine is delivered to the UK, in English, in less than 2 weeks, with several easily understandable options to pay easily and quickly Shocked

Too easy here now. The Route Napoleon is quite a major road, 80kmh Twisted Evil

My first speeding ticket, anywhere, in 42 years of driving.
ski holidays     
It seems the new lower 80kph limit is bringing in a nice revenue stream for the authorities. Done in Lons le Saunier on the way out and a nice little fine through the letterbox this morning. Knew I had been done as it flashed but never received a fine before. Easy money.
latest report     
boredsurfin wrote:
Best pay a lot more attention to speed around Chambery, there are at least 4 cameras on the route back to the UK around there, they are the new type that are a single column. Enforcing the 90kph limit.

all out of action the other day thanks (or not) to the GJs.
latest report     
Seems some people are receiving fines when they weren't even in the country. ID fraud suspected. https://www.thelocal.fr/20190228/tourists-inundated-with-speeding-tickets-after-ids-stolen-in-france?fbclid=IwAR0yNpB2-Y9OMFFqQ_SY8yiFzP2USYMZpqF6hTth7DqYhCu4lgOmCuGIooI
snow report     
'Violation Notice' in the post today - doing 99km/h in 90km/h zone. It was on the 'Traversée Urbaine de Reims' - the old autoroute which runs close to the centre of Reims. 45€ - could be worse.
snow report     
@caughtanedge, thanks for the reminder that the margin for error in France is less than that for the UK.
latest report     
I think the margin for error is even less - the form also states 'The speed used is: 94km/h' - not quite sure what that means - I haven't seen a French version. But presumably it is the threshold for issuing a penalty.
I'm generally quite careful about limits - I don't 'take the p*ss'. Now I know just how careful I need to be!
ski holidays     
@caughtanedge, the French have a formula (can’t remember the exact details, but it’s on the web) to convert your camera-recorded speed to something a bit lower, then see if that’s over the limit. It’s different to the british approach of using your measured speed and giving an allowance on the limit, but amounts to the same (albeit slimmer margin as Alastair says).

Two of mine have been 97 in a 90, which I think adjusted to 91 or 92 so looks like about 5-6%.
latest report     
snowdave wrote:
philwig wrote:
skitow wrote:
@denfinella, In just under 40 years of driving, 30k miles a year average, UK and europe, I do not know how many speeding fines I have had, but certainly into double figures. ...

I'm reminded of the bloke down the pub complaining about his speeding tickets and his bad luck.
No one spells it out, but everyone thinks: "yeah, we can see why you get those".

In an instant my car will do speeds which would result in me riding only my bicycle. And yet I've never had a speeding ticket.

"I only know in my world I hate the light I speed at night"

Well not quite, but you really can tell who's going to get speeding (and parking) tickets and who is not.
And it's not about adhering to the letter of the law, it's about understanding what's reasonable and what's not.

My personal observation in to many years of driving is that drivers can be separated into two camps. Those who know they speed (even if only occasionally), and those who don’t realise they speed. Amongst my friends and family, it’s the latter group who get most of the speeding tickets.

Two of mine have been 97 in a 90, which I think adjusted to 91 or 92 so looks like about 5-6%.

"Two of mine" so what's the total ? Laughing Which camp are you in ? Knowing or not knowing Laughing
snow conditions     
The message surely has to be that breaking the local speed limit is wrong, and that we should all follow whatever the local requirements are. Not too difficult.
snow conditions     
Knowing. Definitely. I’d be in some state of denial otherwise. I’ve only had three, and I can’t remember what the other one was for.
snow report     
@snowdave
Quote:

convert your camera-recorded speed to something a bit lower

Ok thanks that explains the term 'speed used' on the notice
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, I don't think there is a single poster, convicted speeders and squeaky clean non speeders alike, on this thread, who have claimed it is right. (Although that does not mean I don't think some of the speed limits are wrong).

BUT, next time I am overtaking at 130kph (exactly) on a dry autoroute and a french number plate, on a car with obligatory flashing headlights, appears in the rear window and tries to get into the boot of my car I will have a think about what the local requirements are rolling eyes But not for long Laughing
ski holidays     
Is there a 'statute of limitation' or similar on fines? A mate just received a bumper pack relating to his trip to France 6 months ago... Most of which claiming doing 121 in a 110, possibly suggesting that his cruise control is out of whack.
snow report     
@Richard_Sideways, on wet roads and forgot about the speed reduction? Loads of reports on French camping groups about speeding tickets dropping on doormats.
snow conditions     
Woo! Got my invitation to the club in the post this morning.
ski holidays     
They seem to be going mad. A mate started a thread on FB recently as he's got several. One guy received 3 from 1 journey Shocked
ski holidays     
Claude B wrote:
They seem to be going mad. A mate started a thread on FB recently as he's got several. One guy received 3 from 1 journey Shocked

Who’s going mad?
The French traffic authorities or British drivers?
Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
His latest was 96kmh in a 90kmh limit. So very little room for error, little more than 3mph in this case. Even less now that most roads are now 80kmh limit. I've driven through France for 20 years and the fine I received this year was my first, in fact anywhere, I've never had one in UK. They seem to have moved the goalposts considerably.
ski holidays     
Me too...83 in an 80.
€45

Getting a bit OTT to my mind.
snow report     
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Woo! Got my invitation to the club in the post this morning.

Anything to do with following a Belgian Porsche? Laughing
ski holidays     
[img][/img]3 from one journey, i had 6 in one day, all €45+ the £15 charge per fine from the leasing company
ski holidays     
Given it seems clear something has changed in the past year (or less?) in France in terms of the percentage over, does anyone know if the French are reacting to it in any way? I mean, I can imagine the uproar over here if people suddenly started getting busted for 5% over! There'd be barely anyone left with a license after a few months, aside from a bunch of people doing 50 in the middle lane of a deserted motorway.
ski holidays     
I'll ask my (French) girlfriend, but she hasn't said anything and I haven't seen anything publicised over here. The big change was a reduction of non dual carriageway limits from 90 to 80 last summer. Gilets Jaunes then incapacitated a high proportion of fixed camera before and after Christmas. As they're less active now I suspect they're coming back into service.

Local authorities are being given leeway to change limits on some roads back to 90. I'm not sure when that is effective from.

I haven't noticed a marked change in the way the French drive. 53mph on my speedo is about 80kmh (from GPS) and driving at the speed I'm always being overtaken.
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy