Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding in France

Poster: A snowHead
There was a news report last month that a large number of French drivers don't have a licence, maybe they were getting stopped for speeding and finding out that they had a bigger problem so couldn't really protest.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sophie wasn't very clear and didn't think think it has changed. She thought 5% but that you could get away with more. Probably why she's got a few points Shocked

Looking online tolerances of 5kmh under 100kmh limits and 5% above is quoted. Doesn't tie up with some cases though Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's interesting, and a relief in some ways. Being busted for doing the equivalent of 32mph in a 30 felt a bit harsh; 5kmh is slightly more tolerable.

I also hadn't noticed anything different in the way anyone was driving compared to previous years, although saying that, there did seem to be slightly fewer up-the-backside drivers on our trip down for the Family bash this year. But it was also a week later.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sparklies, it's only 33mph in a 30. Or even worse 63 in a 60 Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ugh true - 63 in a 60. That's just mean!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The camera in the Tunnel at Moutier issues tickets from 72Kph, the limit is 70. The locals usually drive through at 80+ hit the brakes by the camera then accelerate away rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mgrolf wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Woo! Got my invitation to the club in the post this morning.

Anything to do with following a Belgian Porsche? Laughing
No, I expect that one is in the post for me this week Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got a ticket in the post last week for an offence in Nov last year. Camera I knew was there, so my own fault. First ticket actually received after a decade+ of driving to/from and around Chx very regularly.

Offence was exceeding limit by less than 20kph in an area where the limit is in excess of 50kph (in other words, not viewed too seriously, like say 65 in a 40 would be).

Actual recorded speed was 115kph in a 90kph zone, but the speed used was 99kph in a 90kph. So I did seem to get a 5% allowance.

Discounted to €45 if paid within 2 months on the web. All paid (quite easily given it was a French website, and they don't seem to always be the most user friendly).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve been away and dreading what I may find in the post when I return home. Hopefully all we be fine as I am always on the lookout for the French cameras which are generally easy to spot but unlike the Swiss ones that are always painted grey and strategically positioned around bends etc - Been flashed a few times in CH in my GB car for just being over but nothing ever being received.

What is the general view about declaring these EU fines to U.K. insurance companies?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, I've also been flashed plenty in CH without ever receiving anything. I think I will try to exercise more caution going forward.

Regards UK insurance: tbh it hadn't even entered my head to think about declaring it. I won't be.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
France used to be easy. Camera sign, then a camera within about half a mile or so. Now they are starting to put signs up that say ‘Speed cameras for the next 60 km’. On such roads there are no longer signs just before the camera.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought our yellow vest friends had vandalised most of the camera
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
don't drive in france. simples.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
One simple answer to this is not to speed, and then you won't be fined.

Is this a parody account?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
The camera in the Tunnel at Moutier issues tickets from 72Kph, the limit is 70. The locals usually drive through at 80+ hit the brakes by the camera then accelerate away rolling eyes

This camera had been removed from Tomtom's database two weeks ago. Waze still picks it up.
ski holidays
I was flashed just before Bourg d’Oisans in a 70kph zone a few weeks in a UK registered car. The ticket took about two weeks to get to me in England. I was apparently doing 77kph which was adjusted down to 72kph.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 21-07-19 13:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looks like French national limit going back up to 90kph - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102319/france-reverses-decision-to-cut-default-speed-limit-from-90kmh-to-80kmh
snow report
they are 'gona get you..'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thousands-of-british-drivers-are-being-pursued-by-foreign-police-forces-over-unpaid-speeding-fines/ar-AACDyNE?li=AAnZ9Ug
snow report
Boris,

Agreed.
snow report
I've managed to get 5 speeding tickets in the last month for a visit to France in mid-March, driving form Geneva to Meribel. 4 in France and 1 in Switzerland. I was definitely speeding so no complaints in that respect. I have never before had them and been flashed loads. This was all in a rental car.

Not speeding over there in the future.
latest report
Legend. wrote:
I've managed to get 5 speeding tickets in the last month for a visit to France in mid-March, driving form Geneva to Meribel. 4 in France and 1 in Switzerland. I was definitely speeding so no complaints in that respect. I have never before had them and been flashed loads. This was all in a rental car.

Not speeding over there in the future.

That’s legendary!
snow report
@Legend., the Swiss one might smart on the cost front.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, not sure how you manage to earn a living as a taxi driver if you do not drive?

Whether holders of UK driving licences can have driving and parking offences committed outside of the UK enforced against them is a complex subject. The basic issue is that the way the UK enforces these things is different to most other countries ie there is effectively a presumption of guilt rather than a requirement to prove who was driving. This means that many countries will not enforce UK penalties against their citizens so the UK will not reciprocate. This was all supposed to have been sorted with the usual EU agreement but the UK was very reluctant to sign up fully and then came the referendum..... So in some places, I believe this remains the case in Switzerland and Austria (but maybe wrong), speeding tickets can not be enforced against UK licence holders, though of course the hire companies can charge for passing on your details. In other places the fine is a civil debt which can then be sold to a debt recovery company who can enforce the debt in the UK (believe this is the case in Germany and Italy). Of course this is all up in the air post 29th of March too.

In most countries, eg the Netherlands & Belgium example Stanton has given this simply is not an issue as the various driving offences are simply mutually enforced.

Bit of an update on some of the info quoted above about CH:

My ex flat mate from Chamonix was on a business trip in CH (out of Lausanne) when he was flashed by a camera in roadworks. He was in a hire car and received a charge from the hire company for passing on his details. Received Swiss ticket in the post and did his SOP of ignoring it. Came out to visit me in Chamonix this March just gone (about 18-24months after the event) and when leaving CH via GVA was pulled to one side at passport and presented with the ticket (by then ramped up by circa 400%). His choices were pay, or don't leave CH.

IMO this only applies to offences in hire cars as the hire company will pass on your details, which will include your passport details. An offence committed in your own (or a company) vehicle will mean the owners details being passed on, but I don't 'think' that even a personal name and address will be sufficient for the Swiss to firmly link to a passport. Does show that the ticket stays live on the system though.

As I've said before, it makes me rest easy that any tickets I got in my old (company reg) truck died with the truck when Nissan bought it back off me and scrapped it. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@Legend, take note of the above, don't ignore your CH ticket.

BTW he has also received French tickets when in French hire cars (well at least one, from about 3-4 years ago) and ignored them, 'so far' nothing has happened there.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, Don't get too complacent in Austria either. N managed to get his first ever ticket last year, although because the car was registered to our address rather than a hire car, it came straight through with no consideration about what country the licence was from (UK at the time). €30 wasn't worth messing about with, and licences are AT now so no such excuses!

Even in a hire car, plod do seem to have spotted that sitting on junctions is an easy way to make a quick buck, so chances of getting pulled over and please-insert-your-credit-card-here are relatively high, despite the prevalence of automated cameras.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:

As I've said before, it makes me rest easy that any tickets I got in my old (company reg) truck died with the truck when Nissan bought it back off me and scrapped it. Twisted Evil

Sorry for thread drift, rotten / broken chassis ? How many did they buy back altogether, at least 3 people that I know had the same thing.
ski holidays
@skitow, Yep. No idea how many, but there are yards full of them all over UK. Ultimately it will claim them all, unless you are utterly compulsive about the maintenance regime, so if you own one best hope it goes before the 12 year cut off.

Didn't stop me buying another mind.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
@Legend, take note of the above, don't ignore your CH ticket.

BTW he has also received French tickets when in French hire cars (well at least one, from about 3-4 years ago) and ignored them, 'so far' nothing has happened there.

Thanks. Swiss fine paid as well. 250CHF Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker wrote:

My ex flat mate from Chamonix was on a business trip in CH (out of Lausanne) when he was flashed by a camera in roadworks. He was in a hire car and received a charge from the hire company for passing on his details. Received Swiss ticket in the post and did his SOP of ignoring it. Came out to visit me in Chamonix this March just gone (about 18-24months after the event) and when leaving CH via GVA was pulled to one side at passport and presented with the ticket (by then ramped up by circa 400%). His choices were pay, or don't leave CH.

By way of thread drift, I am always intrigued what comes up on the screen at GVA passport checks. My passport always requires some tapping of keyboard keys and when I have looked back I see 1 green box and 2 red ones amongst the other details about me.

I'm sure I have never done anything wrong in CH Embarassed

Anyone know what comes up on the screens?
snow report
@bar shaker, I have a similar deal at all passport checks (UK, GVA, Ukraine, Lisbon, Lyon ...), they process 3 people on the adjascent booth in the time it takes them to read all the stuff that comes up on the screen from my passport.
I sent a written request to find out what they hold.
The first reply was just saying along the lines of it's just what's on the passport itself. (Name, DoB, address etc ...). I followed up with another part of HM Govt ( it was a couple of years ago now, so I do not remember which office), and sent off an additional form with a GBP20 pound fee.
About 3 weeks later I had a letter saying there was nothing, and got my cheque back.
Which seems bizarre, as if there were "nothing" as they suggest, surely my nothing should take the same amount of time to read as the next person's nothing.
I understand that some undesirable watchlists are linked through Europol, but each state also has it's own internal system ( this might be where your speeding fines are being racked up), and it might cross reference your passport details with their own systems. If you have a common name, that might take longer that a less common one. That being said when I go to Gatwick it should not take ages ( but it does ) seeing as it's a UK passport.
Also, the Automated Gates are not Automated. I read the request for tender for the BAA gates ( by following the links I found when I dug deeper into the process), there's a whole bunch of details about the physical side of things, but basically there is a staffed control room looking over the gates, and each member of staff manages a few gates ( might be upto 5 - I can't remember exactly how many ). The gate matches the biometrics on the passport with the person stood before the scanner, but the gates do not open until the operator decides to open them. It's still more efficient that the manned desk scenario as each Border Force Office can obviously manage 1 gate.
latest report
I have just received a 3 page claim for a speeding fine I think .... cos it's all in French .... dated from September last year !!!! they are asking 144 euros !!! I think it says i was going to 20 km Faster than i should ... cant fill the forms in as ive no idea what it says !!!
Anyone ignored their ticket ???
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:
I have just received a 3 page claim for a speeding fine I think .... cos it's all in French .... dated from September last year !!!! they are asking 144 euros !!! I think it says i was going to 20 km Faster than i should ... cant fill the forms in as ive no idea what it says !!!
Anyone ignored their ticket ???

The website for paying it has an English option if you can’t speak French.

Ignore it if you never plan on going to France again.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, thanks for the info.
ski holidays
i will be going to france again ..but i dont have that car anymore... not sure wether to pay or not.. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, you were speeding, you were in the wrong, you got caught. I'd pay up...…..
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, I would pay up. I've had two, albeit €45, fines over the last 4 years (from hire cars) and I've had to pay up or the hire company get billed.

Pay the fines, sleep at night, download Waze.
snow report
Don’t pay it’s a civil matter they have to prove who was driving there is no obligation to disclose driver details as in uk
As a civil matter they will give up after sending a few chasers
Or
If you don’t like living on the edge pay up and have points deducted from your ghost french permit de conduire so next time you get flashed you start running out if points and eventually get banned if caught again it’s a bigger deal
Ethics aside why pay ?
Many people challenge nips in uk onbasis of presumption of innocence believing it the police job to prove offence and follow correct procedures to do so
So make frenchie prove you were driver !!!!
ski holidays
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
Don’t pay it’s a civil matter they have to prove who was driving there is no obligation to disclose driver details as in uk
As a civil matter they will give up after sending a few chasers
Or
If you don’t like living on the edge pay up and have points deducted from your ghost french permit de conduire so next time you get flashed you start running out if points and eventually get banned if caught again it’s a bigger deal
Ethics aside why pay ?
Many people challenge nips in uk onbasis of presumption of innocence believing it the police job to prove offence and follow correct procedures to do so
So make frenchie prove you were driver !!!!

In France the vehicle owner gets fined, if the driver isn't identified. This is why you agree to have fines deducted from your credit card, when renting a car.

Foreign license holders don't get points from the French or UK authorities.

As in the UK, motoring offences are criminal matters, not civil. Evade the consequences at your peril.
ski holidays
I have had too many fines driving hire cars and there's no escaping those. Often the hire company will charge you direct then reclaim the cost plus an admin charge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy