Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux (or other glaciers?) late season DIY

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Always fancied Hintertux (or other suggestions may be made, Austria or Italy) as a diy trip after the crowds have gone. Generally fancy the idea of being able to go on a ski/board holiday (hopefully with some sun relaxing thrown in) in late April, May, maybe June?

Can anyone therefore tell me:
a) if the busses still run from Mayrhofen central in April and May?
b) is it better to stay in Mayrhofen or out at Tux or somewhere else nearer the glacier?
c) can you do it without a car - i.e. airport transfers (presume Innsbruck or Munich?) and ski or Green line busses? (Of course there may be advantages such as non-ski day trips, walks etc.)
d) when, date wise, is it still reasonable to ski & board on an average year - assuming it will get slushier in the afternoon, but I'd like to be able to be out till, say, 3pm?
e) at what point do accommodations start getting more booked with summer visitors, and is there a window where one might get good deals, nonstandard stay lengths, etc? (Is changeover day usually Saturday?)
f) to what time of year is there any likelihood of there being useable skiing on the non-glacial areas around Mayrhofen, and have the usual hoardes b*ggred off by then?

Cheers for any input and/or alternative suggestions. Just preliminary thoughts at this stage, maybe for this year, maybe next.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a) Yes.
b) Stay in Mayrhofen, everywhere else will be dead.
c) Train is possible but a PITA, get a cheap hire car, then you don't need to worry about buses.
d) End of June to be safe, July is when the big melt normally happens, but you never know, had powder days in July before.
e) Summer season starts in June but there is plenty of accommodation.
f) Skiing closes around Mayrhofen on 22/4

Last June we did a TUI package deal (flights/transfer/half board) for £450, staying at the Berghof (very nice hotel).

20th June Last year.

http://youtube.com/v/aGZJXMptioU

PS we also did mountain biking, hiking, climbing and rafting, world cup watching and drinking excessively.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JimboS, thanks. Hadn't thought of going out with a TO (would have to arrange ski carriage, but presumably could?). Will have to look at relative costs of that and diy + car.

Regarding b), is that dead as in closed or just not buzzing with Apres? As long as there's small supermarket and essential equipment and pizza/grill place open, that's all we need.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a small shop and burger place right up at the glacier base station around the hoenhaus bar. But it's pretty limited. The bigger villages on the way up have more but I prefer to stay down in the Hoff because of the variety.

I guess it depends how long you plan to stay, I've done lots of onenighters up in hintertux which was fine as it was just for a days skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler, we quite often ski at the end of May. Expect it to be very soft after 11am but pretty empty once the ski clubs leave mid morning. A novel experience and you may get lucky with the weather.

If you can go a few weeks earlier you may well get all the runs around Sommerberg open too (usually close mid May).

Agree with @JimboS, stay in Mayrhofen and rent a car. Much nicer plus other activities if you feel like it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Which airports are possible if I DIY it? Innsbruck, Munich, others? And any advice as to best place to book accommodation (with car parking)?
ski holidays
 fizzer
fizzer
We've always flown to Munich as it's been cheapest from Manchester with Lufthansa - free ski carriage + (free red wine en route too!).

Stayed in Mayrhofen at Xmas this year never again. If you value a quiet night sleep then don't go near the place.

Stayed Madseit April 2017. Quiet peaceful lovely digs = good sleep - easy access to glacier or lower valley both on free bus service. All runs open & very quiet almost deserted even Hintertux valley run.

Have fun wherever you end up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fizzer, where did you stay? We don’t have any problems where we stay.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must say I've never had noise issues in Mayrhofen & always stayed in same 2 buildings, pretty central (near theatre stage car park & several bars etc).
I really like the place - just can't tolerate the idiots on the pistes any more Mad
latest report
 fizzer
fizzer
The hotel next to the Penken base station I'm sure I don't have to name it. Hotel was excellent I do not tolerate drunken shouting or drunks at all well. Seems like everyone who walks down that street at night has to gob off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fizzer, ok yes I know the one. We are happy to get the bus each morning to avoid the noise. But anywhere off the Main Street is probably quiet except for next to Ahorn lift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy