Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please Transfer from Innsbruck to Colfosco

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we arrive at Innsbruck this Friday 22nd Feb 2019 family of four. Should I just give in and book the 400 euro private transfer or is there a cheaper way that isn't a nightmare with kids or takes a lot lot longer. The kids are 10 and 11 so can drag their own bags. Thanks for any tips
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could get a train from Innsbruck to Brixen (see https://www.oebb.at/en/) and then take a taxi / transfer from there. Whether the amount of money you would save will be worth the extra effort is another matter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Couldn't you hire a car for less than that..?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is that 400 euros each way, or return? If return, I think that seems quite reasonable and would be a lot easier.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very reasonable, in fact...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, indeed, I just did dummy booking and it was coming up €260 one way so €400 must be return.+
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi yes it's 400 euros return, it's just that if there happened to be a coach or group transport we'd be happy to forgo the luxury of a private transfer to save money NehNeh I wasn't sure about hiring a car our hotel lists 9 euros a day for parking so that bumped up the price. We'd be happy to hire a car if there was free parking in Colfosco. Perhaps that should have been my post question? Thanks for all your answers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didn't realise my emoji was sticking out it's tongue, I should put my glasses on before using them Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to sH snowHead

I'd get a rental car, assuming you can all fit, with skis and baggage etc. (easier if renting skis).
Public transport is a pain... bus, train, train, possibly a 3rd train, then private taxi from Bruneck/Brunico to Corvara/Colfosco.

It's a pretty straightforward drive, about €13 total each way in tolls (plus the sticker that should be on the car already).

There used to be a bus from Innsbruck airport, but that was only to Selva. Sadly that stopped operating.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arwhine, is that daily fee for covered parking? Based on weather forecast you won't need that. Was in Colfosco last year but sorry I did not study whether there is free parking to be had or not. As it happens I will be back there from Saturday as well but that won't help you! Which hotel are you in?

Steve
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are in Hotel Borest near the Borest lift, getting there Friday. I'm not sure what it's like it was a last minute decision. It was for covered parking. I think the hire car option is looking like the best bet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just looked and car rental from the airport is almost as much as the transfer so it looks like we're back to that option, maybe it's expensive because it's Friday?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is uncovered parking behind the hotel next to and in front of the residence Riposo (same owner). There is also parking directly across the road next to the Luianta hotel though I don’t know if this is chargeable

Return transfer price of Euro 400 is definitely a good price. We recently paid 193 euros one way and gave a tip of 7 euros to make it up to 200. This was the best price I could find out of all Innsbruck transfers

As others have said public transport is a pain. But it is doable. You would likely save money but not time and convenience. You’re looking at 3 hours minimum, up to 4 hours, all dependant on the train you catch and the connection times.

You essentially need to catch the train(s) to Fortezza. Then change onto another train to San Lorenzo and then onto a bus direct to Colfosco

There is a Eurocity direct train every 2 hours to Fortezza. Otherwise you catch a local train to Brenner and then change to another local train onto Fortezza.

But beware, if you catch the local trains between Innsbruck and Fortezza (changing at Brenner) you may have issues if you purchased a ticket direct to San Lorenzo. Apparently the ticket issued by OBB railways in Innsbruck is not valid on the Italian rail local trains from Brenner to Fortezza and then onto San Lorenzo. You may be lucky and get away with it by playing dumb. We were not aware and played dumb. After a long phone call by the conductor to his office we were let off with a warning. Apparently your supposed to purchase a ticket to Brenner then go and purchase another ticket for the onward journey before boarding the connecting train. I kid you not about this!! I recently asked Trenitalia about this and they confirmed it. And you literally have 10 minutes spare to do this.

With the direct Eurocity trains your ticket should be valid all the way to San Lorenzo. AT the very least it will cover you to Fortezza with no issues, but then you may need to purchase another ticket onwards to San Lorenzo if the conductor plays up. We had no issues on this section of the journey with our direct ticket but that’s not to say someone else wont

Either way at fortezza you catch the local train to San Lorenzo. These run half hourly at 20 and 50 past the hour

With the connecting bus at San lorenzo to Colfosco, these run hourly at 15 past the hour (except 23 past the hour at 01:23pm). Dependant on your previous connection you could wait 2 minutes or nearly up to an hour

So yes it’s doable, we've done it and didn’t mind it (apart from the grief about the train tickets) but there were only 2 of us and it was a far cheaper option than private transfer

To avoid all the transport hassle, just get a private transfer or hire a car!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

maybe it's expensive because it's Friday?

It's not expensive, it's a pretty good price - you're looking at a driver and car doing two return trips of over 4 hours. My son has been schlepping round on Italian trains in the last few days and commented on how good he's found them - and the cheap family tickets. It would, inevitably, be much harder work, as it would to drive yourself, possibly (you hope) in very snowy conditions.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, indeed. it is "a lot of money" which is not the same as "expensive"
snow conditions
I mean, why wouldn't you get a car. You can then choose to visit another resort, go out and about, etc
snow report
@ItaloSkier, but from colfosco you can ski to loads of places. I wouldn't bother with a car
snow report
What @holidayloverxx said Happy
ski holidays
Thanks everyone car hire wasn’t much cheaper from the airport, not much availability because the usual changeover day is Sunday maybe, so we’ve gone for the transfer. My kids are delighted not to be on a coach, so we’ll just enjoy the luxury and worry about the credit card when we get back . Thanks so much for all the help and advice it’s very kind of you all to take the time.
ski holidays
I hope you got to colfosco ok, I’m on my last night as you settle in.
The 400 +/- for transfers surely pales into insignificance to the prices you paid to fly into Innsbruck? We’ve look for years and the prices always seem about 1000 more than flying to Milan or Venice etc. So did you manage to find a great deal on the flights? Or just took the hit and were trying to keep the costs down else where?
ski holidays
HugoC wrote:
I hope you got to colfosco ok, I’m on my last night as you settle in.
The 400 +/- for transfers surely pales into insignificance to the prices you paid to fly into Innsbruck? We’ve look for years and the prices always seem about 1000 more than flying to Milan or Venice etc. So did you manage to find a great deal on the flights? Or just took the hit and were trying to keep the costs down else where?

Never paid high prices for innsbruck flights with BA. End of January trip we paid aporox £130 each. Verona and Venice flights would have been cheaper but only by £20,to £30. I assume February flights are far more exoensive??
snow conditions
We missed all the cheap flights to Venice it ended up £600 for the four of us from Bristol on Friday which didn’t fit with the usual Sunday changeover ihere but luckily the hotel was flexible. We can’t really afford a ski holiday this year but it got to February and I cracked so I’m just sticking everything on the credit card with my eyes shut. The transfer was lovely I don’t think the kids will be happy with a package tour coach ever again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy