Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Etiquette question

Poster: A snowHead
Been invited to lunch at someone’s apartment / chalet while on hols. We only have a week so we will be skiing in the morning. It’s not in the same ski area as our accommodation so we can’t get changed and walk. We could drive but sense dictates we’d ski there. Does one traipse in, fresh off the slopes (as per a mountain restaurant) in one’s socks and gear, or should one pack a change of clothes? Seriously - no clue and don’t want to do the wrong thing...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it a posh dinner? Are you staying the night?

If you've got a rucksack I'd at least shove in some clean trackie bottoms and a hoodie to wear and maybe a change of socks, rather than sit there in smelly base layers. I'd bring deodorant too.

How are you getting back, taxi?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope not an overnight. Been invited for lunch. Will be skiing back to our resort. So question is do we need footwear (thinking yes) something to wear on top and bottom? #needabiggerrucksack
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think so, I mean it’s skiing so I doubt anyone’s expecting you to dress up, it’s just for your own comfort. Why don’t you just ask them? They might not mind you wearing ski gear as you’ll be skiing back afterwards and it’s only lunch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spin Doctor wrote:
Does one traipse in, fresh off the slopes (as per a mountain restaurant) in one’s socks and gear,.
Yes. If your hosts expect anything different when you're on a skiing holiday, they're idiots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Etiquette dictates that one doesn't mess around with people's ski holidays by inviting them to lunch in one's apartment. Who does this? I'm horrified.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if it’s near the slopes, it no more loss of ski time than going for lunch on the mountain, but I’d certainly just be sitting in my ski gear. Presumably the hosts are skiing too?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would just make sure by calling them and saying something like "we're going to ski there, hope it's ok", unless that's already abundantly clear from the "sense dictates".

If you have some comfy slippers, you might consider packing them. Otherwise I wouldn't care about it too much. Depends a bit on who's inviting you. Consider that in Northern Europe, it's quite the done thing to just wear socks indoors. Just make sure you brush off all the snow from your clothes before entering.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How long is this lunch going to last? If more than an hour, you may have had a problem with a binding....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From what I have seen, on the telly anyway Laughing , people who dress up for lunch in a ski resort generally have servants to sort their clothes and helis to save time getting there. If you have neither then "traipse in, fresh off the slopes (as per a mountain restaurant) in one’s socks and gear" has to be the correct answer. And you need to tell them it wants to be ready and on the table when you get there, no faffing, wasting ski time. Laughing If they are true skiing friends they will totally understand.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dress up? For lunch? On a mountain? Whilst out skiing? You've gotta be kidding me.

Although I do live in a city where nobody really dresses up for anything, I don't think my perspective is that skewed yet. Leave your boots in the porch wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are they good friends and will they have been skiing? if so just rock up otherwise see them another time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If they know you are skiing they won’t expect a change of clothes. Snow brushed off and socks would be absolutely fine I’m sure. For peace of mind I think it’s a perfectly valid question to ask in advance. I can’t see the point of taking clothes “just in case”.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
Dress up? For lunch? On a mountain? Whilst out skiing? You've gotta be kidding me.

Although I do live in a city where nobody really dresses up for anything, I don't think my perspective is that skewed yet. Leave your boots in the porch wink

Exactly.

All I would do instead of taking snow into the apartment is to have a thin pair of slippers (like in a hotel) and pop them on. Easy to stuff in a jacket/backpack.
snow report
muddewater wrote:
How long is this lunch going to last? If more than an hour....

I would certainly hope so rolling eyes
Scarlet wrote:
Dress up? For lunch? On a mountain? Whilst out skiing?

One must maintain standards Cool
HoneyBunny wrote:
clean trackie bottoms and a hoodie to wear

Oh no! Shocked Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Spin Doctor wrote:
Does one traipse in, fresh off the slopes (as per a mountain restaurant) in one’s socks and gear,.
Yes. If your hosts expect anything different when you're on a skiing holiday, they're idiots.

This. I'm sure they expect you to be skiing and to be walking about in your socks.
snow report
I'm assuming this is all in code and metaphor and is all a cover for some filthy, chalet-keys-in-a-bowl, 'afternoon delight' assignation.

Just wear your gimp suit under your fartbag, and keep your leather mask unzipped and pass it off as a 'technical balaclava' until you get there. wink
ski holidays
Thanks all. Hilarious as per. On balance I think traipsing combined with some lightweight footwear will do it. I have just discovered that there is something called a Chalet Moccasin. Off to buy a pair *

*(not)
snow conditions
Does pampas grass grow outside chalets in the alps?
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Just turn up im your ski gear. Stick a spare pair of socks in yr pocket if you are worried about the smell. I you think the hosts will get arsey then bin them as friends
ski holidays
A friend skied with a Swiss guy who went out as a matter of course with a one-piece skisuit over a suit and tie.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
Dress up? For lunch? On a mountain? Whilst out skiing? You've gotta be kidding me

This.
latest report
definitely black tie and evening wear, and silk PJ's and bunny slippers if staying the night.
snow conditions
Spin Doctor wrote:
Been invited to lunch at someone’s apartment / chalet while on hols. We only have a week so we will be skiing in the morning. It’s not in the same ski area as our accommodation so we can’t get changed and walk. We could drive but sense dictates we’d ski there. Does one traipse in, fresh off the slopes (as per a mountain restaurant) in one’s socks and gear, or should one pack a change of clothes? Seriously - no clue and don’t want to do the wrong thing...
Seriously, if they know you are out there skiing and they have invited you over, I would go in my skiing gear, and just relax and enjoy their company (and their food) maybe bring a bottle of red wine with me, or a present from my home country.
ski holidays
Got to have a get out clause.

I mean, what if it's a powder day? snowHead
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:
Got to have a get out clause.

I mean, what if it's a powder day? snowHead

Weather suggesting that's unlikely...
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:

Oh no! Shocked Shocked

I didn't read it properly and thought it was in the evening! I agree with ski gear and nothing else, not even slippers!!

Otherwise what kind of friends are they?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James Bond would manage to ski off several mountains and have a fight to the death, drop his stylish ski suit to reveal an imaculate (and sweat free) dinner suit underneath. I mean, whats the problem?
snow conditions
Just take some anti perspiramt / deodorant spray and fresh lippy (if male, it's sunscreen, honest).
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Does pampas grass grow outside chalets in the alps?

Laughing
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Spin Doctor wrote:
Seriously, if they know you are out there skiing and they have invited you over, I would go in my skiing gear, and just relax and enjoy their company (and their food) maybe bring a bottle of red wine with me, or a present from my home country.

If the hosts are French, don`t take wine, is is (or certainly used to be) considered rude. A small pressie from the home country is considered polite (again or used to be).
ski holidays
Yes take chutney, that's fermented booze they'll never twig.
snow report
If they are French hosts, take a selection of cheese. Some Monterey Jack, some Edam and mild red Cheddar would surely be appreciated, and would be robust enough to survive in your ski jacket pocket in the morning. If it gets too cold though, remember to put it inside your underpants for ten minutes before you arrive.
snow conditions
Spin Doctor, no one should invite you to their chalet when on a ski holiday, unless their chalet is ski-in-ski-out, and you can keep you boots on.
Do these so-called friends of yours ski?
I would politely suggest that you would rather meet in a restaurant.
latest report
@spindoctor. Maybe They can lend you a roof box for all the kit you might need to take over for lunch if you try to meet all the advice here as yours is err.... broken.

Maybe just bring good company and some annecdotes? After all that’s why they invited you, probably.
ski holidays
The day approaches. I have bought a new 90l backpack to accommodate everyone’s advice. It’s playing havoc with my carved turns but I think I have adjusted. Luckily I bumped into the hosts on Friday night and they seem incredibly relaxed about it so I’m going to shelve my anxieties and drive down to BSM and pick up some Monterrey Jack, tent Black Tie and buy some Pampas grass (alpine variety) as a gift
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, Laughing Laughing
Hope you have a great lunch!
latest report
@Spin Doctor, And don't forget to take the cheese out of your underpants BEFORE you knock on the door. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

and pick up some Monterrey Jack

I know Bourg st Maurice is getting more international, but you cannot even get Wendsledale in the Super U
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy