Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aire for camper van near Grenoble Hospital?

Poster: A snowHead
My niece is in Alpe d'Huez with young teenage son and camper van. Her snowboarder OH is in Grenoble Hospital with bust ribs. He is being operated on tomorrow and she says he is being well looked after. She is struggling to cope with everything, though she's a very capable girl. She speaks next to no French. She wants to get the van down to Grenoble to be near to Daryl - are there any suitable spots to stay with the camper within reasonable distance of the hospital?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopital Nord or Sud?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a quick look on Park4night app and there look to be a few in the city. Would be best for her to go through the list and choose the most suitable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Hopital Nord or Sud?

Good question - will ask
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's an aire at Sassenage . Nord is at La Tronche, Sud is at Echirolles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He's at CHUGA - looks like north, from Google Maps. The Sassenage aire looks quite reachable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Hells Bells - I've just texted her that, she's found it and is very pleased. Poor thing, it's all a bit much - she's not a super confident driver and it's a big van. But she'll cope.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There also a campsite with easy tram access if she doesn't fancy driving around in the van.
The aire has mixed reviews with some saying black waste disposal is problematic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.camping3pucelles-grenoble.fr/le-camping

Link just in case..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant, thanks @Scamper,
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, hope all goes well for her with moving the moho, and that her husband recovers quickly.
I'm sure she's capable but sometimes when you are stressed it's easy to overlook things.
Not saying that the aire won't be ok but on a campsite at least you don't have to worry so much about gas/water running out or batteries going flat - no heating and power means pipes freeze and crack which would be a nightmare.
Anyway, let us know how it all goes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't park in an aire anywhere around Grenoble. The city is unsafe. Sassenage is a long way from the hospital. Does she have to bring her camping car down? I agree with Scamper that a campsite would be better. The hospital also have accommodation for relatives.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scamper, @pam w, I think it's only forecast to just touch 0 at night and up to 19deg in the day by the end of the week in Grenoble so freezing pipes should not be a problem. Full on sun too, so if they have solar on the van should charge up well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it's bloody hot here in Austria during the day, but still dropping well below freezing at night. Great for solar, as you say, and the gas is lasting much better too
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, good point, although it was closed when I needed to use it when hubby was in there. Is there still free parking at the hospital? I parked our car there, and used the tram. Booked an Ibis in the centre right next to the tram stop. Insurance covered the room cost.
latest report
Not easy, however she does it.
latest report
No the free parking has gone, it has a meter system now. Decathlon also has barriers on the car park to stop people using their car park (it could be full at times and the store empty).
The Gresivaudan valley is better than parking around Sassenage, St Egreve etc. The CHU is at the start of the Gresivaudan in la Tronche/Meylan.

People (apart from gypsies, of which there are bizzilions in the summer) don't tend to camp around Grenoble because it is so hot, so there are not many campsites, just a few aires as above and a lot of gypsy campsites, there is one at the Ile d'Amour near the hospital but I think you have to be a gypsy to park there.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 18-02-19 23:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@pam w, there's an international patients office in CHU. Usually will deal with EHIC and sending stuff to insurers if needed.
They are very helpful. The hospital also have English-speaking volunteers who help out with language difficulties.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
I wouldn't park in an aire anywhere around Grenoble. The city is unsafe. Sassenage is a long way from the hospital. Does she have to bring her camping car down? I agree with Scamper that a campsite would be better. The hospital also have accommodation for relatives.

We stopped off with friends in Sassenage on the way to and from Lyon to AdH last week, and they made room for us to park on their drive rather than on the road as they were seriously worried someone would break into our car. Didn't realise Grenoble was quite that bad.
latest report
grazzenger wrote:
Didn't realise Grenoble was quite that bad.

Think LA South Central, circa 1992 and you'll get the picture.

la Tronche, where the hospital is, is not too bad, although you wouldn't want to take a wrong turn in a camper van as some of the roads are narrow even in my car.
snow report
I'm not sure what she's doing tonight. Possibly back in Alpe d:'Huez. She found the hospital reassuring and the international office v helpful. But apparently it's a vertebra he's broken, not a rib and he was being measured up for an immobilising cast today.
latest report
@pam w, he will be in good hands. Trust me on this one.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I'm not sure what she's doing tonight. Possibly back in Alpe d:'Huez. She found the hospital reassuring and the international office v helpful. But apparently it's a vertebra he's broken, not a rib and he was being measured up for an immobilising cast today.

That's nasty.
snow report
Yes, it is nasty and Daryl's complete lack of French won't help. He's a techie nerd engineer who works on submarine torpedo tubes and the like.
But the physio who measured him for the cast spoke good English and if French hospitals are anything like British ones few staff will be native French speakers anyway. They are very happy with the hospital itself.
snow report
@pam w, communication difficulties were our biggest hurdle too. All French in 2008/9 . The volunteers are useful though.
snow report
pam w wrote:
if French hospitals are anything like British ones few staff will be native French speakers anyway.

they are not
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy