Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flybmi in administration

Poster: A snowHead
After days of rumours its been confirmed that Flybmi have gone into administration and all flights are cancelled.
Hope this isn’t going to affect any Snowheads
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
British regional airline Flybmi has cancelled all its flights and filed for administration, the airline has announced.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Err, didn't the original poster say exactly that Mr egg? What is your point?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyBMI wrote:
It is with a heavy heart that we have made this unavoidable announcement.

"The airline has faced several difficulties, including recent spikes in fuel and carbon costs, the latter arising from the EU's recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.

"Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 16-02-19 21:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They've been in the poo-poo for 10+yrs (used to be a client of mine) so blaming it on Brexit is a bit rich....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
martinm wrote:
They've been in the poo-poo for 10+yrs (used to be a client of mine) so blaming it on Brexit is a bit rich....
Was the company wrong to release that statement? Brexit plays no part in the trading situation that has led to their collapse? No part at all?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The main problem was crap customer service.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
'the latter arising from the EU's recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.'

Typical of the EU. Britain is still a member of the EU, therefore should not have been excluded at this point. EU mandarins putting the knife in.

They will do anything in their power to make Britain pay for having the temerity to see through their money grabbing little empires.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
'the latter arising from the EU's recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.'

Typical of the EU. Britain is still a member of the EU, therefore should not have been excluded at this point. EU mandarins putting the knife in.

They will do anything in their power to make Britain pay for having the temerity to see through their money grabbing little empires.

UK signals plan to leave EU emissions trading scheme after Brexit

UK to exit EU ETS under ‘no deal’ Brexit, says govt

"Leaving the ETS will be a political decision by the UK"

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 16-02-19 20:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Man Of Lech, they have been unable to secure new contracts because the other party doesn't know on what terms they will be dealing with them in a few months time.
Seems fairly easy to understand to me. Which bit did you not get?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Man Of Lech, Well it hasn't happened yet but will if we leave with no deal, but hey why let the facts get in the way of having a moan about the EU. https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-emissions/uk-would-be-excluded-from-eus-emissions-trading-system-in-no-deal-brexit-idUKKCN1MM2AV
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B*gger, no chance of seeing the £1200 they owe us in taxi fare and compensation from last year then. They've been stringing us along for months, promising to pay within 60 days but not actually paying. At least we're not stranded anywhere and haven't had a holiday ruined though, sympathy to anyone who is stuck as a result.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mgrolf, Oh no, wonder how much more they are owing folks like you?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Csb123 wrote:

I'd guess it was two different threads that got merged by a mod Smile

Not to be confused with Flybe, although my mate who works for the latter said that they're already coming in for a lot of abuse on Twitter. These people are allowed to vote Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar,

Brexit has not happened yet.
Poorly run airline if they gone tits up 6 weeks before an event that may or not may happen can be blamed. Obviously robbing peter to pay paul scenario

Another example of brexit being used as a scapegoat excuse & not the reason.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
@rob@rar,

Poorly run airline if they gone tits up 6 weeks before an event that may or not may happen can be blamed. Obviously robbing peter to pay paul scenario

You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you deleted that disgraceful post yet?
snow conditions
@davkt, it's a minor irritation for us really - most of the money is EU compensation, so we're not hugely out of pocket as such. Far worse for those travelling or due to travel in the next few days.
ski holidays
The various bits of BMI, mainline, baby, regional have been a bit of a basket case for years. They were a full cost legacy airline with a somewhat reactive strategy propped up by the value of their Heathrow slots so carefulylly garnered by Michael Bishop. Once they had been asset stripped there was little left. What was needed was a clean sheet of paper.

I am not going to pretend that Brexit uncertainties are not a factor in bringing down a flawed plan, but the writing was on the wall for sometime.

By comparison jet2 is an airline that almost exclusively flies between the UK and Europe and Turkey. It was started just before the financial crash and has continued to grow since. Without the B word it may have grown more, we will never know.

Sad day for the employees, I just hope their pension contributions are safe and they find a new job soon.
latest report
Interesting that they don't mention only selling an average of 18 tickets per flight (according to Simon Calder on BBC this morning) as a contributing issue.
latest report
Not surprised they only sold 18 tickets per flight, whenever I have looked at them their fares were way above their competitors. I assumed they only wanted business travellers.

The major problem is gross overcapacity at the moment in the industry. I have done three pairs of flights in the last three months with easy and norwegian and in all cases half or less than half full planes. Very comfortable for the traveller but must be seriously loss making for the airlines. Only in one case, skiing, did they have the priviilege of baggage and ski charges - in the others hand luggage only. Best was £35 return Bristol to Seville before Xmas. I suspect a lot of airlines work on a marginal cost basis in winter but even at marginal cost they have pushed the margin too far and are into a lot of non-marginal losses. Really do not think Brexit has much to do with it at this stage - other than it might have affected forward bookings which of course is cash flow - sitting on your money for a long time and that cna be a huge effect.

Of course, there should be a legal rule that requires any business that takes customer money in advance of delivering the product or service to put that money into a customer/client account and only transfer the money after the product or service has been delivered. I remember campaigning for this in the 1980s. This would require much better capitalised businesses and provide far more protection for the consumer.
ski holidays
Quote:

Let’s be clear about one thing though – flying 522,000 passengers on 29,000 flights in 2018 means an average of just 18 passengers per flight. An Embraer E145 can seat 49 people whilst an E135 holds 37, so we are looking at very weak loads. Whatever factors are being blamed for its closure, the answer may be closer to home than the airline wants to admit.

Taken from headforpoints.com
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
@rob@rar,

You are wrong here. They couldn't enter into deals (cargo) with European shippers because they have no certainty on pricing. Hedging the price would make them uncompetitive. Therefore, not knowing the selling price meant they lost contracts.

Airlines don't just ship people. I used BA (via DBShenker) to ship lots of stuff to India so have some knowledge of this.
snow conditions
@countryman,
Quote:

Of course, there should be a legal rule that requires any business that takes customer money in advance of delivering the product or service to put that money into a customer/client account and only transfer the money after the product or service has been delivered. I remember campaigning for this in the 1980s. This would require much better capitalised businesses and provide far more protection for the consumer.

It would also cripple the growth prospects of a great many businesses. The increase in net working capital would be colossal and we'd end up with a fair chunk of the nation's capital tied up doing nothing. I'm also not sure that this is such a huge problem, even in the airline industry. The vast majority of people will be covered by their credit card company and all should be covered by their travel insurance.
snow report
Quote:

Why stop at just the airline?

Resorts should only be allowed to transfer season pass money they got in spring time after season starts in November! But wait, why would they bother to sell passes in spring at all? Puzzled
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@countryman,
Quote:

It would also cripple the growth prospects of a great many businesses. The increase in net working capital would be colossal and we'd end up with a fair chunk of the nation's capital tied up doing nothing. I'm also not sure that this is such a huge problem, even in the airline industry. The vast majority of people will be covered by their credit card company and all should be covered by their travel insurance.

Well it's what the tour operators have to do either by way of bonding or insurance or escrow - in fact a legal requirement - so there is a precedent and I can't see why similar couldn't apply to airlines. Price of a ticket would have to go up though.

Yes, as a consumer, credit card is the ONLY way to go right now unless your travel policy specifically has Supplier Failure Cover and most don't!

I quite liked the Flybe product out of Southampton, tried using them everytime I flew up country but some odd flight times and noncompetitive pricing meant good ole BA and EJ out of LGW trumped them most of the time. They partly blame Brexit but I think they've struggled for a very long time.
snow report
@Pruman, Flybe and Flybmi are not the same airline.

Having said that I think Flybe are struggling too.
latest report
Look at FlyBe's Twitter - many, many people confusing them with the old British Midland Airways! Very Happy
snow report
@Pruman, FlyBMI and Flybe are 2 separate entities, Flybe are still going strong after entering a deal with StobartAir and Virgin.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyBMI had awful passenger numbers, something like an average of 18 per flight - End of
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Not to be confused with Flybe, although my mate who works for the latter said that they're already coming in for a lot of abuse on Twitter. These people are allowed to vote Shocked

Pruman wrote:
I quite liked the Flybe product out of Southampton, tried using them everytime I flew up country but some odd flight times and noncompetitive pricing meant good ole BA and EJ out of LGW trumped them most of the time. They partly blame Brexit but I think they've struggled for a very long time.

Laughing
latest report
Pruman wrote:

I quite liked the Flybe product out of Southampton, tried using them everytime I flew up country but some odd flight times and noncompetitive pricing meant good ole BA and EJ out of LGW trumped them most of the time.

If only there were more Ski flights from Southampton, just 15 minutes by taxi from me and its a nice easy small quiet airport versus a 90 minute drive to Gatwick with airport parking and massive crowds, stress and hassle.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Pruman wrote:

Laughing

I trust you're not questioning Pruman's right to vote.... NehNeh
latest report
Csb123 wrote:

. You don't actually contribute much do you? So if I were you i'd keep my acerbic comments to myself
ski holidays
@marksovereign, I thought it was an entirely reasonable question to ask. It's not a "post count" competition either.

.. and given you have "only" contributed .10 posts per day since 2006 and they have posted .05 posts per day since 2015 I would say there isn't much in it rolling eyes
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@marksovereign, I thought it was an entirely reasonable question to ask. It's not a "post count" competition either.

.. and given you have "only" contributed .10 posts per day since 2006 and they have posted .05 posts per day since 2015 I would say there isn't much in it rolling eyes

And given the fact that you have got nothing better to do than surf the net your point is?
ski holidays
@marksovereign, and in what way, exactly, are your comments any less acerbic or more polite than that of Csb123 which attracted your criticism?
snow report
@marksovereign, my point is exactly as I set out, still if you can't read/comprehend that's not something I'm going to worry about.

Off to do some more net surfing....
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@marksovereign, and in what way, exactly, are your comments any less acerbic or more polite than that of Csb123 which attracted your criticism?

I didn't say they weren't ,but then I really don't give a monkeys about your opinion as you probably don't about mine either!
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@marksovereign, my point is exactly as I set out, still if you can't read/comprehend that's not something I'm going to worry about.

Off to do some more net surfing....

Probably best you do ! Run along,there's a good lad!
snow conditions
@marksovereign, lad! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy