Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Karmas

Poster: A snowHead
Well, in the small fall we had in Alta last week (6"-10") I took out a pair of Volkl Karmas, 170cm.

In fairness they did make the snow easier - especially once it was well tracked - but they didn't really do a great deal for me. I think I wanted something a little longer.

I am still decidedly "iffy" about skis where there's a noticeable castor. That said, one friend hired Armadas with very nice graphics. I mean, that's important innit?

Comments? (on the Karmas, not my shallow views on colour...!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
170cm Karmas are too short, unless you are too...

Which Armarda?

Lap my fat ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor,
Quote:

170cm Karmas are too short, unless you are too...

Just how short is....short? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, I am small but, apparently, perfectly charming.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch,
Quote:

parlor, I am small but, apparently, perfectly charming.

I can think of one tree in particular which would tend to disagree with the "charming" despite your best efforts wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski on Volkl 170 but I am only 5` 8" on a good day so I would think they are a bit short for you. But I really do like the Volkl.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, cheek!

Nick_C, I am only 5' 6" but a tad on the aggressive side...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
.... I am only 5' 6" but a tad on the aggressive side...

Oi, who you lookin' at? Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried the next one up (176?) and thought it a little flexy in the cut up stuff. Bought the 8800's in the end, if you still ski in your GS skis then I think you'd like the Dynastars.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, I thought you bought the 11000, not the 8800 Wink

David Murdoch, when I bought my Pistols, I considered the Karmas, but wanted a bit extra girth for the days when Alta gets more than the light dusting you experienced...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, 170cm on a twin tip is v short, esp if you're used to GS skis - the twin tip will take about 5cm off the running length.

If you want to see what fat skis are about, I'd suggest getting your hands on something longer and no less than 95mm underfoot. You will notice a difference then, I am sure. Whether you like it or not is another thing, but at least you'll have tried snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno,

Agree with this, I tried Snakes in 180 and they skied well too short, it ruined the whole ski and day for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, yep, the 11,000 - real phat muthas Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You beauty. My 177 Karmas have just arrived.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1, are you getting to ski them soon, or will you just stroke them for a while? snowHead
snow report
kiwi1, Awsome ski. Top 5 all time best skis. Little Angel
snow report
David Murdoch,
Quote:

snowbunny, cheek!

You asked for that when you posted your little encounter with said tree else where on Snowheads!!!!!!!!!! snowHead Twisted Evil
snow report
Arno, a good point. I still like the idea of the Stoeckli Asteroids wink

Annehillskiing, I suppose so...
latest report
marc gledhill, Are you insane, why ski them when I can just stroke them for a while. After I'm done stroking, I'm heading out on the 25th for a week to make up for what has been a very snowless season.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-03-06 15:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
David Murdoch, the Asteroid lives on in the DP Pro, also available in 201cm and stiff as you like. There are quite a number of big skis which are built a bit like GS skis, actually. The old Volkl Explosiv and Dynastar Legend Pro are examples but not available in quite such an old school length as the Stocklis. The LP comes in a 194 tho
ski holidays
Gotama in 197 next year. Might make it skiable. Very happy that people are starting to realise that fat skis can be made long.

Long is good. Short is bad. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
parlor, back yo the days of 210cm but three times as wide?

I am going to invest with companys that make ski bags Very Happy
snow conditions
parlor, interesting. Tried out some 190 Gots at the weekend. Very enjoyable and certainly didn't feel like a particularly long ski. Anything shorter would have felt like a bit of a toy IMO
snow conditions
Arno, is it indeed? Hmmm, I must see if I can try a pair (next season)...
snow conditions
Arno, Not skied next years yet. More sidecut, less tail. David Murdoch, much more fun than the Karmas, when there's some snow.

Nick_C, If someone would build it, I'd ski it. My ideal ski would be around 115-125mm underfoot and around 200cm in length.

How lots of snowHead getting together and giving me some money together and starting snowHead skis. I promise that I'll make a suitable quiver from carving skis through to my dream sticks...
latest report
parlor, can't help but feel that much sidecut is a bit pointless on skis that big. I mean, it doesn't do you any good in soft snow, and I accept that carving a ski that big isn't impossible, but it's not exactly the reason for buying them
ski holidays
parlor, I'm sure the Ross DH boards that I#ve borrowed a few times are about 80cm underfoot and 210cm. At least the length would be there for you. Haven't tried them in powder though...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy