Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone know if these http://tinyurl.com/yxbztxjk are acceptable as snow chains in Switzerland. Car is a 4x4 but i've seen people stopped in those occasionally.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambi, No idea if they acceptable but I wouldn't be 100% sure they actually work. They are a version of thios concept https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baffect-Emergency-Anti-skid-Anti-slip-145-285mm/dp/B078N8V9V9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550066502&sr=8-1&keywords=snow+tyre+zip&tag=amz07b-21

I bought some of these a while ago but haven't used them yet and I gather from all the reviews that they just get ripped off the wheels in the first few seconds. The ones you mention may be better, but I wouldn't bet on it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't see anything there that would make them "legal" in conventional terms. TUV marking or something similar would give more indication of something like competent construction, it doesn't exist on these as far as I can see.

It may seem harsh, but I'd not put them anywhere near a car. They even list, as a benefit, "zinc alloy fastening" typical rubbish being sold with highly dubious claims.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some alternatives:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3155524&highlight=chain#3155524
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not just get some chains? Tried and tested solution.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Someone just down the road from us was using them, it enabled their car with summer tyres to struggle along the lane and onto the parking area, where cars with winter tyres just drive normally.
Winter tyres, plus chains when it gets really serious are the way to go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many French visitors to the ski resorts don't have winter tyres. But they seem very ready to put chains on - once it gets snowy there are masses of cars with chains on - they don't seem to think it's a big deal. I don't know quite why UK drivers are so very reluctant. Certainly there are always ninnies who leave it too late and cause problems for everybody - but generally speaking, getting the chains out is not seen as a massive deal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bambi No, get proper chains. Feedback on these sorts of strap things across various forums is fairly negative. Of course, winter tyres or all-seasons (quality all-seasons can be pretty good) are the ideal. This is us the week before last in our 320 BHP RWD with winters going across the Jura mountains, no problem, even when the snowplough forced me to drop the right wheels into fairly deep snow piling-up against the barrier.

https://i.imgur.com/MXE8EyO.mp4

These are exactly the conditions where chains aren't going to be of any use - the snow layer on the tarmac is too thin. But summers would be lethal.

And do some research in your Owners Manual to see what traction settings you should use in snow. My manual is a bad translation of the original German, and takes about 200 words to tell me to press the car-with-wriggly-lines button when I go onto snow, and then again when I'm back on tarmac. Ths is definitely something worth sorting out before you need to use it in earnest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I followed a SUV up a mountain access road using those things last winter (a fairly rough road and not paved) and had loads of fun counting the broken bits laying around, up to the point where the SUV that was using them was stuck. They had all fallen off within half a kilometre. Not something I would trust my safety to. I would also guess that they take longer to fit that normal chains after a bit of practice.

Might perform better on soft snow on a sealed road as a last resort, but what's the point in taking the risk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LaForet, Love your video, Love winter tyres, reminds me of a "lovely" trip we had from Taninges up to Les Gets in our BMW 320 rwd with Nokian winters. It wasn't as much adrenaline inducing fun after I pulled over to let the snow plough past. No-one ever seems to say it but driving in those conditions if you have the right kit is FUN. Very Happy Toofy Grin Smile
Against all received knowledge the rwd 320 with winters performed better on the snow than the 4wd X3 with winters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bambi, I think the chances of needing snow chains in Switzerland for the next 10 days are about 1%.

In the unlikely event you do need them though I'm not sure I'd put my faith in those things!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bambi, I'm not sure Switzerland mandates snow chains in the same way France does?

But you definitely want winter tyres.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bambi, if you have winters you should not need chains. FYI car rental companies (Hertz group) from GVA Swiss side no longer include chains with 4WD vehicles and are not available as an add-on.

My understanding is that Swiss law does not mandate winter tyres but insurance claims can be affected if you have an accident with tyres not deemed suitable for the conditions. I also believe that autosocks which are approved in France are not in approved in Switzerland. (I stand to be corrected).

In summary you either get proper chains or have winter / winter rated all-seasons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, CH is a bit of a grey area. What I have consistently been told is that if you are in an accident in wintery conditions, and you don't have "appropriate equipment" and the other car does, you are at risk of being presumed to be at fault.

Given the limited range of use of chains, i.e. you actually need enough snow on the road, I don't thinks chains will generally be adequate for those purposes.

According to the Swiss "AA", chains are required if the road is signposted (never noticed one, but rarely drive in high Swiss mountains) https://www.tcs.ch/fr/tests-conseils/conseils/expert-tcs/chaines-neige.php
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I get annoyed by this hire car trend to not supply chains for AWD/SUVs. My daughter went to the shops before her departure from our village Monday morning and sent me a photo of a big hire SUV being towed out of its steep chalet parking by the snowplough. Presumably, no chains supplied. In the end, it looks a better option to go for a conventional hire car with winters and chains than an SUV/4x4/AWD with winters but without chains.
ski holidays
I agree. 4WD entirely unnecessary for a holiday visit. But chains plus winter tyres pretty well bomb proof. Driving a great heavy truck down steep bends....with no chains..... Skullie
snow report
@bambi, NOT acceptable as snowchains, but as others have said in you probably don't need.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy