Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski waxing, how long it lasts for

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I havn't used a pair of skis for 2 years, but before i last took them home they had a mini service.
Before I use them again do they need a wax, or will they still be ok from last time?
Maybe this is a stupid question...
Thanks, Alex.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bases will dry out over time .. best clean off the bases and give them a fresh waxing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alex, They will almost certainly need waxing as over two years the bases will have dried out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice, seems pretty obvious now that i think about it Shocked
Off to St Moritz on Friday, anybody been there in the last few weeks? Seems to be snowing nicely, hope the temprature holds.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn't seem obvious to me at all, but it does seem obviously easy to tell. Just see if you can scratch any wax off them with your finger nail. They either do or do not still have wax on them. Do Tell
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost, if you can scratch wax off with your finger that isnt good, I have always read that after a good preparation and rub down the wax should be a thin film - as too much wax left on can slow you down.

Alex, I would put on a couple of coats of wipe on wax and buff the first time leave the wipe on wax for a few hours if it looks like it has all dried in then do a light buff and a-pply the second coat, if you think they really have dried out too much either hot wax before you go or get them done whilst you are in St Moritz.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you always want to be going as fast as possible, you should wax every 3-5 days of usage. Actually, I find that for the first few times you wax, you pretty much need to wax the base every 2 days of riding - after a few waxings the wax seems to stay in longer, and you can wax less frequently.
As for how to tell if your base needs waxing, with a balck base it is very easy - if the base looks white tinted/dry, it needs waxing - if it's a nice deep black colour, it doesn't need waxing. With a white base it's harder to tell, but it will feel a bit different (feels "dry", if that makes sense), and will look slightly different (more matte cloured/less shiny).
Also, even right after a hot wax you shouldn't be able to scrape much wax off with your fingernail if it's done properly - the wax should be scraped off and then the base buffed, so that there's no wax sitting on the surface. The point of hot waxing is to have the wax absorb into the little pores within the base, not to have wax sitting on the surface.
As for wipe on wax, I've never found it to make a noticeable difference, while a good hot waxing always makes me noticeably faster on the flats.

With all that being said, I often get lazy and will go 15+ days without waxing. Just have to carry more speed into flat bits Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I always say - a wipe with Zardox notwax each night will make your wax last longer especially in warm snow conditions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A hot wax followed by daily coatings of Dakine Octane rub on wax works for me. If I don't use the rub on wax every day I notice the difference on the flat
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy