Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Family Resort recomendation for New Year

Poster: A snowHead
top 3 picks in Italy for non skiers, and skiers alike!
1. Cortina.
2. Madonna.
3. Bormio.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EdYarker wrote:
I agree with your summary above. I also feel that the Dolomites will be too far to travel and (I could be wrong here) they may tend to do Saturday-Saturday lets as well. I think Madonna and Bormio might fall into this category as well, looking at where they are.

La Thuille is a good shout I feel, although the village is very quiet. It does have good restaurants and as you say Pre St Didier is close by and really nice. Courmayeur would probably be better for you as a non skier but I would prefer La Thuile if I was skiing (maybe with a day trip away one day).

Other places not mentioned yet are Sauze D'oulx, which is linked to Sestriere for good skiing but with a little bit more charm IMHO, but probably not perfect for a non skier with children. Or Bardonnechia. This is a town rather than resort and has a station to enable days out in Turin for instance. Skiing there may not be 5 star but isn't bad for a week and has a good ski school. It will be relatively cheap as well.

Very helpful perspectives. I'm willing to drive to the Dolomiti but am finding the prices in Selva are higher than I remembered. Also agree about Saturday/Saturday. Contacted a wonderfully situated residence hotel we visited in 2013 and, yes, there is a strong push to be closer to Saturday/Saturday. Unfortunately not possible.

We've been to Courmayeur... enjoyed it although the family didn't like it as much as we did. La Thuile is wonderful... great skiing and it seems as if heli-skiing is reasonably priced there. Sauze looks more for me than them but thank you for the reminder of Bardonecchia. Have heard many good things about the town as a good all-around base. Will have to dig deeper.

Yes, and still thinking of Bormio.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brought a mixed group to Sestriereast February and would recommend it on the following basis ... 1 Very short (by normal ski standards) 90 minute / 112k transfer from Turin airport, which you have already booked into !

.... Many of the hotels on main strip ski in / ski out with beginner slope situated right behind the hotels

.... Relatively large ski area for intermediate skiers to explore while kids in ski school

.... While not the prettiest (understatement), Sestriere is a decent size purpose built ski resort town with nice public (indoor to outdoor) swimming pool etc so a non skiing wife would have some options including day trips to nearby Turin ...

Though I would prefer the Dolomites as a pure ski destination Sestriere much more practical now that you have booked to fly into Turin & worth checking out for one ski trip.

Fell free to contact direct if you want any more clarification ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northantsred wrote:
top 3 picks in Italy for non skiers, and skiers alike!
1. Cortina.
2. Madonna.
3. Bormio.

I'd add Madesimo to that list.

2hrs from Milan, 1hr from Lake Como for the non-skiers.

Madesimo itself has plenty of shops, bars & restaurants.

Walk-on, walk-off access to mountain restaurant to meet the skiers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Funny... a friend of mine is currently making a very strong case for Madesimo. I think if we pick the right hotel, I can make it work, particularly since the family has enjoyed Obergurgl in the past which has more skiing but a much smaller town.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, having read your TR on Madesimo, it looks like my kind of place, but small for more than a few days. Anything else in the vicinity you would recommend that would pair up with Madesimo for a 2 stop trip flying in/out of Milan?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Madesimo is pretty isolated. Seems as if the closest large resorts are Corvatsch and St. Moritz.

On Madesimo, its tempting... for me. Just seems like not a good option for my specific family. Starting to lean more towards Bormio.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ItaloSkier, Bormio is a long drive from Milan. It isn't always obvious from the maps how fast or slow particular roads are, you will be on single lane roads after Lake Como.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
@ItaloSkier, Bormio is a long drive from Milan. It isn't always obvious from the maps how fast or slow particular roads are, you will be on single lane roads after Lake Como.

I can cope from that if once I get there we have plenty to keep us busy. Seems like that would be the case. Madesimo would be closer but more isolated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mr. mike wrote:
@Mike Pow, having read your TR on Madesimo, it looks like my kind of place, but small for more than a few days. Anything else in the vicinity you would recommend that would pair up with Madesimo for a 2 stop trip flying in/out of Milan?

It's the age old question,

do you want to ski lots of runs once or twice in a day with lots of other people and not necessarily getting the best conditions on each/any of those runs, or

ski less runs more often with almost no competition for the conditions and not worrying about queuing and the pistes looking like ants on slice of bread & butter?

Personally I prefer the latter.

If you're a piste only skier, then there is plenty of variety just not bags of it.

If you're an off-piste skier there's enough to keep you more than happy for a season or two.

http://youtube.com/v/Ghz6gOzDx-Y

http://youtube.com/v/wNbdI1F2gZI

http://youtube.com/v/y0gs4wUuptg

http://youtube.com/v/czC79bbqsd0
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ItaloSkier wrote:
Madesimo is pretty isolated. Seems as if the closest large resorts are Corvatsch and St. Moritz.

On Madesimo, its tempting... for me. Just seems like not a good option for my specific family. Starting to lean more towards Bormio.

Was back there early March teaching my 11-year old niece how to ski.

Had a ball.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike Pow, I have spent a week in Madesimo skiing with my family and very nice it was too, I just reckon there is far more for the non skier and the skier in 1. Cortina. 2. Madonna. 3. Bormio. I have been to several other Italian ski resorts but these would be my choices give the OP's criteria.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@northantsred, what is there for the non-skier in Madonna? I've been a few times but only skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't speak from experience on Madonna but I can imagine its simple things like better apres ski and shopping. Don't ever discount shopping when catering to a wife's non-skiing needs. That and spas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really enjoyed Madesimo was there mid March so probably missed Mike POW and Co and was there at NY a couple of years ago. It's not a large resort but as stated you wont be crowded out or spending queuing than skiing and if you head over the top to Val de Lei (Canelone is beyond my skill set) there's enough to make a trip of it.

Apres-wise it's not party central but there are a few bars the locals are great. A couple of hotels have spa facilities open to non residents if that floats you non-skier boat?

I've stayed at Emit and K2, booked through Phil at Bella Ski (top man) all decent value IMO and Italian food on the hill Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi all still reading and following the thread with interest!

I think for us Madonna is too big and swish. I like a low key resort. Bormio is too far for just 4 nights.

Madesimo looks potentially good - even thought its a 2.5 hr drive.

I wonder where would be best for New year. Decisions decisions.
snow conditions
if you want somewhere close to an airport in Italy and a nice setting for the non skier, check out courmayeur(sp).
snow report
I had made up my mind with Bormio but the more I research, the more it seems like Bormio's weather takes a turn south in March. That wouldn't go over well. So now I sit and think, how can I make Madesimo work? Or Montgenevre? Decisions decisions.
snow report
Would be curious on anyone's first hand-perspectices on Bormio. See, the challenge is trying to find a location that will have reasonable weather (yes, I know, weather does what it wants) but still have good snow. Saas-Fee this year was a downer weather-wise. Last year in Argentiere, we had one sunny day. The snow was great... I mean great (good for me except maybe not as much when above treeline)... but the wife who likes sunny restaurants was not so happy. So, while I have a hotel booked in Bormio, the weather almanac makes it sound like March goes sour. Madonna di Campiglio seems like it ticks quite a few boxes but the snow quality is supposed to suffer in March. I'm trying so hard not to pick a place we've been to before knowing we're flying into Malpensa and keep playing with Madesimo (hotel options not thrilling... that might push me over if I found one that offered a new junior suite with space for us and the kids without making me prepay for the whole thing). Madonna looks great... snow quality though? Ugh... just thinking out loud. Sorry. When you come from this side of the pond, you want to choose well.
latest report
@ItaloSkier, What are you reading about typical weather for Bormio in March ? I have only been there in February.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
@ItaloSkier, What are you reading about typical weather for Bormio in March ? I have only been there in February.

Essentially reading through various average temps, precipitation, etc. Multiple sites make it seem like the temperatures start taking a sharp turn higher with increasing rain vs snow and much higher cloud cover. Appears February is much more favorable than March but February is not an option. Mid-March.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, The top at Bormio is high compared with most Italian stations and the lift system allows you to lap near the top.
ski holidays
CeliaCo wrote:
Hi all still reading and following the thread with interest!

I think for us Madonna is too big and swish. I like a low key resort. Bormio is too far for just 4 nights.

Madesimo looks potentially good - even thought its a 2.5 hr drive.

I wonder where would be best for New year. Decisions decisions.

We did 4 nights this past March (Fly and arrive Thursday; depart and fly Monday; ski Fri, Sat & Sun).

The drive is easy and more than enough to do on and off mountain for 4 nights.
latest report
ItaloSkier wrote:
...I'm trying so hard not to pick a place we've been to before knowing we're flying into Malpensa and keep playing with Madesimo (hotel options not thrilling... that might push me over if I found one that offered a new junior suite with space for us and the kids without making me prepay for the whole thing).

First visit we stayed at Hotel Emet right in the village. Short, flat walk to everything. Comfortable rooms and great breakfast.

Second visit we stayed in an apartment in Campodolcino down the valley. Walk to shops, bars and restaurants. 5 min drive to Sky Express funicular railway which takes you to the Motta plateau. Can access all the ski area from here.

What's your budget?

Room / apartment configuaration?

Dates?
snow report
Double post

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 29-04-19 14:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Budget is TBD... its one of those "I know it when I see it" (how's that for nebulous?). I can tell you that typically (this has been the case in Courmayeur, Obergurgl, Argentiere, etc) we book a hotel that has a main bedroom for us and then a separate room (can be a small room with bunk beds) for the children. Something that offers up a bit of privacy. The Sport Hotel Alpina seemed to have something like that, if I remember correctly, but with prepay and non-refundable. Too risky.

Found one hotel in Madonna di Campiglio that looks great with a 10% deposit policy - less risk. Seems like some very nice options right next to the lifts. The one we have in Bormio is no deposit until November.

We're looking at mid-March. No big local holidays from what we know - usually we find uncrowded slopes wherever we go during that time period.
ski holidays
ItaloSkier wrote:
... The Sport Hotel Alpina seemed to have something like that, if I remember correctly, but with prepay and non-refundable. Too risky.

Found one hotel in Madonna di Campiglio that looks great with a 10% deposit policy - less risk. Seems like some very nice options right next to the lifts. The one we have in Bormio is no deposit until November.

We're looking at mid-March. No big local holidays from what we know - usually we find uncrowded slopes wherever we go during that time period.

Too risky of what?
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
ItaloSkier wrote:
... The Sport Hotel Alpina seemed to have something like that, if I remember correctly, but with prepay and non-refundable. Too risky.

Too risky of what?

Paying the whole stay months in advance as a non-refundable booking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ItaloSkier wrote:
Budget is TBD... its one of those "I know it when I see it" (how's that for nebulous?). I can tell you that typically (this has been the case in Courmayeur, Obergurgl, Argentiere, etc) we book a hotel that has a main bedroom for us and then a separate room (can be a small room with bunk beds) for the children. Something that offers up a bit of privacy. The Sport Hotel Alpina seemed to have something like that, if I remember correctly, but with prepay and non-refundable. Too risky.

Madesimo
14-21 March 2020
7nights

Appartamento Carducci - £1162
FREE cancellation before 23:59 on 28 February 2020
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/appartamento-carducci.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQ_YAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4ApmonOYFwAIB;sid=028f20b475202d50bd1da4ad86786dad;age=12;age=12;all_sr_blocks=166116501_123231965_4_0_0;bhgwe_bhr=1;bhgwe_cep=1;checkin=2020-03-14;checkout=2020-03-21;dest_id=-120600;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=2;hapos=3;highlighted_blocks=166116501_123231965_4_0_0;hpos=3;no_rooms=2;req_adults=2;req_age=12;req_age=12;req_children=2;room1=A%2C12;room2=A%2C12;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;srepoch=1556550732;srpvid=4a376ae68efb0070;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

A Casa di Roma - £1393
FREE cancellation before 23:59 on 12 February 2020
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/a-casa-di-romeo-madesimo.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQ_YAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4ApmonOYFwAIB;sid=028f20b475202d50bd1da4ad86786dad;age=12;age=12;all_sr_blocks=292627201_143629947_4_0_0;bhgwe_bhr=0;bhgwe_cep=1;checkin=2020-03-14;checkout=2020-03-21;dest_id=-120600;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=2;hapos=4;highlighted_blocks=292627201_143629947_4_0_0;hpos=4;no_rooms=2;req_adults=2;req_age=12;req_age=12;req_children=2;room1=A%2C12;room2=A%2C12;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;srepoch=1556550732;srpvid=4a376ae68efb0070;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl
snow report
I've been looking at Booking.com - thank you. Trying to decide if we want to go start using apartments instead of hotels. Its nice to have the personal attention of someone at a hotel, breakfast every day, etc.

That's a great location, though!
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, we stayed in that hotel along with the American ski team, I can recommend it.
Although the owners were quite strict about children’s attire in the restaurant.
snow conditions
Looks like we're going to go with Montgenevre. Thought process...

> Reasonable drive from Malpensa (Madesimo is about the same)
> Snowsure and sunny position
> Easy to hop over to other towns like Sauze, Serre Chevalier, even Bardonecchia since we'll have a car. Much miuch more variety within about 30 minutes whereas from Madesimo it looks like it takes 40 or so minutes just to get to Chiavenna
> If I can see the Italian border, I must be in Italy, right?
> While Madonna di Campiglio was tempting, I didn't feel like making that 4 hour drive + the quality of snow seemed like it might be an issue
> If we feel like there's not enough to do in Montgenevre, Claviere is 6 minutes by car and Cesana Torinese is 15 minutes. Easy to drive down and do the passeggiata
> Via Lattea lift pass pricing is absurdly cheap and like the Serre Chevalier option
> Found a hotel with true ski/in ski out and a terrace where we can watch the kids play in the snow during aperitivo time
> Selection of pistes really seems to favor my more timid family members. I will explore more off piste and seek out the better runs knowing they won't be as intimidated when they are skiing.
> Found ESF prices were very reasonable for private lessons (as they were in Madesimo and Bormio) and looks like plenty of off piste opportunities with a guide.
> Will miss trying the Canalone but will have to find something fun in the Via Lattea
snow conditions
Only had one day at Montgenevre but it was excellent.

And bags of off-piste.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, we stayed in Cesana Torinese this year thinking it would be a perfect location to explore the Via Lattea turns out to be a non-skiable link much to our disappointment.
Montgenevre is a lovely resort and you will find challenges equal to the Canalone! I would advise a drive to sestriere and sauze rather than the ski through Cesana.

Good choice.
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
@ItaloSkier, we stayed in Cesana Torinese this year thinking it would be a perfect location to explore the Via Lattea turns out to be a non-skiable link much to our disappointment.
Montgenevre is a lovely resort and you will find challenges equal to the Canalone! I would advise a drive to sestriere and sauze rather than the ski through Cesana.

Good choice.

I've consistently seen that advice that while skiing into to Claviere is fine, trying to make the lift by lift crossing to Sestreiere or Sauze is a beating. Will be good to have a car on hand. We will be staying on the sunny side of the mountain, below Le Chalvet which looks to have some great runs up high
latest report
Well, to edit my last post... are there issues at time skiing from Montgenevre to Claviere because of some territorial issues? I heard that is sometimes the case but I've never heard that being an issue to/from La Thuile and Rosiere.
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, have you settled on flights yet? Just curious how much work it is for you to get from the US to Malpensa. I haven't used that particular airport as a ski gateway yet.
snow report
mr. mike wrote:
@ItaloSkier, have you settled on flights yet? Just curious how much work it is for you to get from the US to Malpensa. I haven't used that particular airport as a ski gateway yet.

Yes. Traditionally the best ski airports (price-wise) have been Geneva and Malpensa. Torino bumps the price considerably as does Verona. Venice can be an option depending on the destination. Unfortunately, from my city, MXP is a one-connection airport as is Geneva. Well, anything in Italy. Options always exist to connect through Munich or Frankfurt with LH or UA which usually works well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy