Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Family Resort recomendation for New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Cervinia or La Thuile for late December? or perhaps somewhere else within 2h transfer? Flights booked to Turin already (couldn't resist great BA deal). Family with 2 kids (age 7, third skiing holidays and 3, non skier). Ideally Self catering apartment in good location. good ski school and nursery slopes (my toddler might try putting the ski on). We usually going to Les Gets in Feb, but wanted to try Christmas break this year. We have never ski in Italy before. Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are going to Pila this half term with similar aged kids. Might be an option for you? Happy to share experiences once we get back
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bella2015 wrote:
We are going to Pila this half term with similar aged kids. Might be an option for you? Happy to share experiences once we get back

That would be lovely, thank you Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not Italy but Montgenevre. Great ski school, family friendly, nice learning area, long green runs. We had an air bnb over new year 20m from the slopes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kamila1405, La Thuile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Montgenevre
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does it have to be west Italy?. The Dolomites offer the best guarantee of snow cover in December
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Champoluc...?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kamila1405, Have been to La Thuile at New Year a couple of times. They set up a stage for live music and dish out vats of free mulled wine. Once we were all given chinese lanterns to light and set off at midnight, was quite a sight seeing hundreds take off at once. Beware the Italian kids with rucsacs full of fireworks just letting them off willy-nilly (but that has happened everywhere we have been in Italy, not just La Thuile).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at Ski-2's website for what they offer in Champoluc. I think they're more hotel based rather than apartments but they've got a pretty good ski school and child care set up. They'll also pick you up from the airport.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Ski2 and Champoluc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lived in the Aosta for 3 years when kids were 6 through to 11. Best for families on one week a year are either Pila or Champoluc. You won't get value for money out of the Cervinia lift pass and La Thuile is great but again the kids will be better off in the former. Ours were in School Ski Club for the first winter, after that they were racing and we could go off and ski on our own. Bliss.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lottster wrote:
Not Italy but Montgenevre. Great ski school, family friendly, nice learning area, long green runs. We had an air bnb over new year 20m from the slopes.

Thank you, it’s not too far from Turin and quite high. I’ll have to look into it:)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
panaga52 wrote:
Lived in the Aosta for 3 years when kids were 6 through to 11. Best for families on one week a year are either Pila or Champoluc. You won't get value for money out of the Cervinia lift pass and La Thuile is great but again the kids will be better off in the former. Ours were in School Ski Club for the first winter, after that they were racing and we could go off and ski on our own. Bliss.

Wow! Amazing you had an opportunity to live there.
I’ll look into Pila and Champoluc. Are those stations good for late December/beginning of Jan. I really would like to get something snow sure.
From what I have read in La Thuile and Cervinia, kids pass for kids <8 it’s free (if the adult will pay).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dode wrote:
@Kamila1405, Have been to La Thuile at New Year a couple of times. They set up a stage for live music and dish out vats of free mulled wine. Once we were all given chinese lanterns to light and set off at midnight, was quite a sight seeing hundreds take off at once. Beware the Italian kids with rucsacs full of fireworks just letting them off willy-nilly (but that has happened everywhere we have been in Italy, not just La Thuile).

Thank you, that’s really useful. May I ask you where did you stay? Was it always the snow in the village?
latest report
schnitzel_skier wrote:
Champoluc...?

Wow, just read about this resort. It looks good. Lots of choices! So def not Cervinia then:)
snow conditions
Sestriere very close to Turin & beginner slopes 100 meters from main stip in village .... Lots of skiing for adults too on Milky Way ...
ski holidays
.... main strip...
ski holidays
@Kamila1405 Pila is a stand alone resort on the South side of the valley. Not the largest but as all runs come back to the same point it is easy to navigate and has the best kids scene. Most of the cheap accommodation is down in the valley in Aosta which means you have plenty to do and prices are a bit lower. Cable car link up to the slopes. Champoluc is part of the larger Monterosa Ski area which includes Gressoney and Alagna. Alagna is very high and snow sure in December. The only problem can be the wind which closes the links between the valleys. Champoluc hosts the British Schools Ski Championships most years so they are used to the Brits. Great family resort with beautiful scenic runs. Monterosaski will have lift pass deals for families.
ski holidays
We were in Cervinia for this NYE and it was ok. We lost a couple of days to high winds up the hill, but there was plenty of snow. The NYE party in the centre was pretty good but as with all places the prices for dinner were high (€140+) per head in the places we tried. So make sure you go half board or self catering to give you options.
ski holidays
@panaga52, we are going to Pila tomorrow and actually staying in s/c accommodation in Pila itself, not in Aosta. We figured this will be much easier with kids as very close to ski school, ski in/ski out... hopefully we haven’t made a mistake by not staying down in Aosta...
ski holidays
@Bella2015 Not my words but I'd agree with the sentiment. You'll have a great time. Gallagher's to watch the English smash the Welsh next Saturday.

Pila is a quiet, family friendly resort and not renowned for lively night life! The après ski is low key and informal, centred around the sunny terraces of the bars and hotels adjacent to the lower ski slopes. The Bar Yeti is good for a drink after the lifts close as it gets the best of the evening sun. Gallagher's Irish Pub, just across the piste is livelier and open until late. At Pila 2000 the Bar Nouva is popular and also sells excellent ice cream. Bar Mion is great for relaxing with a steaming cup of hot chocolatePila offers a selection of good restaurants and great value pizzerias both in the resort centre and in the 'piazetta' at Pila 2000. Pizzas cooked in wood fired ovens, Aosta Valley specialities, and traditional Italian cuisine are all available.The Ristorante Bar Yeti is on the piste close to the top of the gondola from Aosta, but can also be reached on foot in the evenings. This friendly restaurant and bar serves anything from a simple drink to a full lunch or dinner of Aosta Valley specialities. The Brasserie du Grimond at Pila 2000 offers a varied menu, which includes tasty pizza.
snow report
@Kamila1405, we stayed in the Planibel Apartments, literally a snowball throw from the lifts. They are basic and clean. Just make sure you don’t get one that is above the Kings Pub, they can be very noisy with drunken revellers, esp. at that time of the year. Iirc there was snow in the village both times, but not all the runs were open. I think it was mainly a limited choice of run back down to the village, with all the runs up top being open.
ski holidays
dode wrote:
@Kamila1405, we stayed in the Planibel Apartments, literally a snowball throw from the lifts. They are basic and clean. Just make sure you don’t get one that is above the Kings Pub, they can be very noisy with drunken revellers, esp. at that time of the year. Iirc there was snow in the village both times, but not all the runs were open. I think it was mainly a limited choice of run back down to the village, with all the runs up top being open.

Thank you, I have looked at those apartments, looks good enough for us. Apparently ( I have read on the trip advisor) the kids club in the hotel is also available for residential guests (payable service but affordable, which would be great). I have contacted them but its too early to book for NY break and they couldn't tell me even the approximate rates:( We don't want to book through Cristal, we need 8 days and flights are already sorted.
snow conditions
Bella2015 wrote:
@panaga52, we are going to Pila tomorrow and actually staying in s/c accommodation in Pila itself, not in Aosta. We figured this will be much easier with kids as very close to ski school, ski in/ski out... hopefully we haven’t made a mistake by not staying down in Aosta...

please let me know when you go back, I'm still considering Pila for December. Thank you:)
snow conditions
@panaga52, thank you so much for all the recommendations! Was packing (last minute as usual) so only just saw your post! Can’t wait!!!!
snow report
@Kamila1405, will definitely report back once we return
snow conditions
Hi - I wonder where you decided to book?

Also looking to go to Italy around the New year time and looking for any thoughts. Many thanks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CeliaCo wrote:
Hi - I wonder where you decided to book?

Also looking to go to Italy around the New year time and looking for any thoughts. Many thanks!

good question! nowhere yet:(
I'm not skiing, will be looking after our 3 years old (who for sure wont be interested in any skiing) so I need a bigger resort, and a bubble lift, so I can meet my husband and 7 y.o. daughter for lunch in the mountains. We really need a self catering apartment, ideally in the centre of the resort. we are flying on Sunday, so French Montgenevre is out, as they mostly require Sat to Sat bookings, plus in Italy my daughter will get a free pass, plus Italian ski schools starts on Monday.

Champoluc, looks lovely, when you ski. Not much to do for people like me. Plus very little self catering apartments available on Airbnb.
Sestriere- dosn't have a charm, still possible though, but cant find a central apartment in our budget (£800)
Aosta-possible. A bit worried it'll be far for a ski school in Pila, and my husband its moaning its too small.
La Thuile- it wasn't much recommended in here, but I think we are the closest to book there. I could walk everywhere, and its in budget.

I need to decide pretty quickly.
if you have any particular apartments to recommend please shout out.
Also, shall we rent a car? Transfers seems to be crazy expensive (£500+) for 4 of us.

Thank you
latest report
Just looked at the Champoluc skimap. It looks like 5 runs, mostly red? I get that the offpiste is great but I don't see how it's good for families, unless I'm missing something?
ski holidays
Yes - I am now looking more towards the dolomites....
snow report
couple of points re Champoluc: (NB while I am biased, our apartment is already booked for high weeks and invariably books for the full season).

In fairness, s/c apartments are not so very much on AirBnB... I think the dominant local agency is called, "Champoluc Apartments", originally enough. The local owners tend to be older and may not yet know what an "internet" is.

My SiL has been very happy not skiing in Champoluc the last few years and it's very easy to meet your husband at the top of Crest gondola (bubble). Tip top lunches this year Chez Eric at the Cre Forne Hotel. No guarantee he'll be there next season. There are other restaurants.

If you want to spend the money, there's a very nice spa. Otherwise walking, snow shoeing, ice rink (I think), ice climbing, etc. But not so many museums or much shopping. (What does La Thuile have? just out of curiousity...)

@sugardaddy, Monterosa "reds" - nice wide well groomed pistes that (with the exception of one pitch on one run) would be blues anywhere else. Italians, eh? Love em. and there's a few more than that anyway. Ski2 seems (based on long term survival) to have made a very good business out of family holidays there and are still going strong as far as I can see.

Dolomites? Very lovely but surely rather a longer and more £££ transfer (if transfer available at all??)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-04-19 8:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Super appreciate this - I looked at pistes maps and reviews across a couple of sites
snow report
Champoluc looks nice but suspect that my "I'd rather not ski if I had a choice" wife would die of boredom and my timid intermediate kids would struggle. I would love the idea of the long runs and connections to other valleys but I'd have 3 others who would probably hate me.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, your kids would have to be very timid indeed to have a problem.
snow report
I simply suspect they would run out of areas that would be of interest. Champoluc and the connected valleys look to be more suited for stronger skiers, particularly with freeride opps.
snow report
@ItaloSkier, Wife's been skiing Champoluc every year for over 40 years... and not so much off piste.
snow conditions
Ugh... I wish it was so simple with my wife :/

That said, I've been weighing...

* La Thuile (a "little" more action that Champoluc and Pres St. Didier is near enough + Courmayeur. Mountain would be great)
* Selva (drive from Malpensa will be a bear and prices are higher but I love Val Gardena)
* Montgenevre (close enough to Italy, right? Via Lattea pricing and snowsure in March)
* Madesimo (will suffer from same possible issues as Champoluc when it comes to "life". I would love it but...)
* and Bormio (thoughts?).

Thoughts of Madonna di Campiglio, as well but cursory.
ski holidays
I agree with your summary above. I also feel that the Dolomites will be too far to travel and (I could be wrong here) they may tend to do Saturday-Saturday lets as well. I think Madonna and Bormio might fall into this category as well, looking at where they are.

La Thuille is a good shout I feel, although the village is very quiet. It does have good restaurants and as you say Pre St Didier is close by and really nice. Courmayeur would probably be better for you as a non skier but I would prefer La Thuile if I was skiing (maybe with a day trip away one day).

Other places not mentioned yet are Sauze D'oulx, which is linked to Sestriere for good skiing but with a little bit more charm IMHO, but probably not perfect for a non skier with children. Or Bardonnechia. This is a town rather than resort and has a station to enable days out in Turin for instance. Skiing there may not be 5 star but isn't bad for a week and has a good ski school. It will be relatively cheap as well.
ski holidays
@Kamila1405, I am sure I have seen a couple of privately owned apartments in the Planibel complex on airbnb. We've had a friend with us who did not ski on one of our La Thuile trips and she got the gondola up each day and met us for lunch, either at the top or the gondola, or she walked up a bit further to the restaurant at the top of the chair (was do-able in walking boot as very gentle blue run). I'd really recommend the resort after three holidays there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy