Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coeliacs in VT

Poster: A snowHead
My ski group has a couple of dietary requirements; one coeliac, and one dairy intolerance. I'll obviously enquire with the chalet hosts but thought I would put it to the snowheads community.

Are there any recommendations for receptive restaurants in the VT/meribel/Les Men etc area for the odd decent lunch? Probably won't manage courch as a group due to abilities... We also have the obligatory two evening meals out so something in VT for then would be good.

Cheers all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Thomasski, Mrs Z is coelliac. Tripadvisor is a good first port of call for identifying options. I would usually check the restaurant reviews section for the word "gluten" and also visit the websites to check the menus before booking.
Here's a shortlist for VT.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g196716-zfz10992-Val_Thorens_Saint_Martin_de_Belleville_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm coeliac. I find most French restaurants to be good - just ask for 'sans gluten'. And they tend not to chuck flour at everything the way we do.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Thomasski, I’ve found that the restaurants now in France do have a comprehensive list of ingredients that maybe allergenic. How accurate they are is another matter of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that son of Pending survived two weeks in VT last easter, maybe PM her to ask if they ate out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Thomasski, you think you have problems?

My coeliac, strict vegan, niece is coming over to Champoluc with us...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience has been:
- Tartiflette is usually fine in French restaurants (I ask but 100% so far) except perhaps the dressing on the salad (not sure what they put in it but I’ve often been told the dressing isn’t GF). For some bizarre reason there is a chalet recipe for tartiflette that involves flour, so be careful there.
- The “general” list of allergens that is posted is often inaccurate (in both directions), I wouldn’t rely on it, better to ask.
- Most restaurants that cook to order are usually fine – staff are usually knowledgeable and will make something / adapt.
- The caveat to that is if it’s really busy – then these things can slip a bit so be careful.
- I find the self-service places more of a struggle – soups and salads are almost always out due to cross-contamination and most of the hot plate stuff is a no go by nature. Choice often seems to end up being: yoghurt, chocolate bar, plate of chips (need to check chips/fryer), if lucky then plate of meat and cheese or tartiflette. Staff generally seem to be less knowledgeable too. BUT, if they are quiet then they are more willing to discuss/help.
- On mountain in VT I can recommend upstairs at Chalet de la Marine which has an excellent menu with extensive GT options. I also ate at La Maison de Savoy Les Menuires which didn’t have anything marked on the menu but were very helpful when asked and the food was excellent.
- The Knife and Fork has very limited GF options. When I looked around and asked 2 years ago it was chips or chocolate, though they did have their own dedicated fryer for the chips.
- Loads of place in VT village that do raclette which is GF. The steak restaurant at the top of town is also very good and has loads of GF options (you just have to ask them).
- All the supermarkets in VT have a small selection of GF products, the Sherpa at the top of town has the largest / best.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok thanks guys, will have a look this eve and start to compile a mini directory on a map to save faffing; hopefully those that doth profess 'gluten free options' aren't just referring to a bowl of chips... wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thomasski, I wouldn't count on chips being ok. Most French supermarket frozen chips seem to have flour added to them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t fall for ‘galettes are made of buckwheat flour’. Buckwheat is safe but most decent galettes also have a good dose of wheat flour. Took me a few goes before I twigged.

Everywhere I’ve been in France lately has understood straight away and you never get any of that sneery suspicion you get in some British restaurants.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Thomasski, check out Wokski in the Knife & Fork for a snack lunch - they do cartons of rice or noodles, with a sauce. I'm pretty sure that last year they did rice noodles.

Having just been diagnosed as coeliac, I'm going through a similar bit of planning for the SFaB in VT.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If people are driving out then it is worth stocking up at a valley supermarket. I think the Gerble brand packets of bread are better than any of the UK ones.

The Tignes Carrefour has fresh GF bread, but didn't see any in the VT ones last Easter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thread title >

The very disappointing Kanye/Jay- Z follow up collaboration
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gämsbock wrote:

- On mountain in VT I can recommend upstairs at Chalet de la Marine which has an excellent menu with extensive GT options. I also ate at La Maison de Savoy Les Menuires which didn’t have anything marked on the menu but were very helpful when asked and the food was excellent.
- Loads of place in VT village that do raclette which is GF. The steak restaurant at the top of town is also very good and has loads of GF options (you just have to ask them).
- All the supermarkets in VT have a small selection of GF products, the Sherpa at the top of town has the largest / best.

Perfect, good to have tried and tested places, takes some of the stress away, thank you! Will be nice to not cruise up to somewhere and be disappointed.

Thanks for the detailed responses all, very good info there!
We are catered so no big supermarket stops but I may see what extras the hosts can acquire for in the chalet (gf beer etc). I know in St Anton they were happy to help.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BUMP

as our trip to VT comes closer and one of our group are coeliac is there any more recommendations to add to the list above?
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:

- On mountain in VT I can recommend upstairs at Chalet de la Marine which has an excellent menu with extensive GT options

... and where all the mains cost 40 odd euro Shocked
snow report
I was in L'Auberge des balcons last night and overheard them being very helpful with a customer who had dietary requirements so maybe check their website? The food was also really good.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:

- On mountain in VT I can recommend upstairs at Chalet de la Marine which has an excellent menu with extensive GT options

... and where all the mains cost 40 odd euro Shocked

There are a number under 40€. I wouldn‘t eat there every day but the food is absolutely worth what they charge for it given the quality, location and service IMO. The bistro is also much cheaper and looking at the menu online I suspect that has GF options.

@WASHOUT, to add to my previous recommendation:
- the restaurant proper at Chinal Donat in Orelle had lots of GF options and friendly and knowledgeable staff in 2019 and the food was also good.
- the noodle bar at the Knife and Fork has GF rice based options. I wouldn‘t say it‘s good, but it‘s convenient, especially if you are short of time between lesson change overs.
- Chez Pepe Nicolas, between VT and LM, has a number of dishes marked GF on the menu including several desserts and is on my list to try this year.
- the steak bar at the top of town was under new ownership last time I went in 2019 and was disappointing - more expensive and not nearly so good as it had been previously. Unfortunately there aren‘t many options

@WASHOUT, assuming you are coming to the EoSB, please tell your party member that there will be GF homemade cakes in my apartment if they would like to come over and say hi Happy
latest report
Hi Gamsbock,
Much appreciated for the update on info and the kind offer, I will pass it on to her.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy