Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selling a lift pass

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the sharing a lift pass thread, what's the thoughts on selling a unused week pass? The pass has never been through the turnstile.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also illegal in law
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally not allowed if it was bought for a specific individual and will be used by a different one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a week unused Val thorens lift pass in the bin.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 12-02-19 22:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No insurance will cover it?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's the eosb val thoren pass, I already have a weeks 3v pass with my epic pass.
It would have been nice to offer it to some snowheads in the area for a few beer tokens.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If bought online from SETAM you should be able to just get a refund. (Provided you do it prior to the day of first validity).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WASHOUT, chill out in the knowledge that you didn’t pay anywhere near the normal rate for it, and it’s included in the deal anyway so you haven’t really lost anything. Alternatively, have a word with @admin in case there’s anything he can do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it was sold unnamed, and has never been used, it can be used by anyone in the same category, so could be sold on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, Illegal in Law.

Maybe, but each and every country has different laws.

It is one of those statements that sounds good, but is probably not true. It maybe against the T&Cs of the lift company, it maybe something that can be against what in the UK would be termed Civil Law, or it might be Criminal Law.
To be Criminal it would normally need to fall within Theft or Fraud and it is quite unlikely that any law authority could be bothered to take that through the courts.

I would suggest that @RobinS is correct in any case.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Though it surprising what some countries will pursue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47205748

Might not be beyond belief that the gendarmes could haul you off your charter flight on your way home!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dadmin will probably sort you out with a bit of cashback if he has to buy fewer lift passes. EOSB lift passes are actually unamed group ones at issue at least.
If not I'll have it off you for a modest fee to cover the extra 2 days I'll need.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RobinS's position is entirely logical, If the pass works -- and doesn't have your name on it -- I'm guessing there is about a 99.5 percent chance that using it would be fine. However, I would be more than a little leery of using a named pass, though the odds will only drop to about 98 percent that nothing will happen...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Given that it is a pass for the EOSB, offering it to someone else is only the same as a TO getting passes for its customers in advance
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
Given that it is a pass for the EOSB, offering it to someone else is only the same as a TO getting passes for its customers in advance

I'm usually part of the "passes cannot be resold" party, but in this instance this would be my thought as well, especially if the OP didn't take physical delivery of it but asked @admin to give it to person x as opposed to the OP.
snow conditions
They didn't take my name when I bought a week pass in the 3 Valleys a few weeks ago, can't see why it would be a problem to sell on an unused pass. This forum seems to be frequented by many pernickety law types!
ski holidays
End of last season bash?
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
They didn't take my name when I bought a week pass in the 3 Valleys a few weeks ago, can't see why it would be a problem to sell on an unused pass. This forum seems to be frequented by many pernickety law types!

I suspect it's because most of us who are in the "can't be resold" camp and therefore "pernickety law types" benefit from season passes and it's these that people try to sell on because their season has been cut short.

The reason is that the fines are quite severe for the buyer and the seller if a season pass is resold/transfer and with how difficult it can be to get a reasonably priced one (proof of property ownership in some resorts now) if it's a common practice the Lift Cos will make it even harder!

There's a difference for weekly tourists like yourself, as often there's no ID required or on the tickets although it's thoughts some lift Cos are now introducing a system whereby the lift station takes an image of the user the 1st time a pass is used and then checeks the image against its' database every time it's used so it seems they're trying to shut this loophole too, don't forget that Lifties are actually incentivised to catch pass dodgers much like ticket collectors are on the London Underground!
snow report
End of last season bash?
latest report
[quote="marcellus"]
mrvinegar wrote:

I suspect it's because most of us who are in the "can't be resold" camp and therefore "pernickety law types" benefit from season passes and it's these that people try to sell on because their season has been cut short.

Yeah but we are talking about a weekly pass here, not a season one, so why the drama?
snow report
@mrvinegar, I suspect some of the motivation is that if it's against the operator's Ts&Cs - any I've read have a non-transferability clause - you are likely to have an unpleasant experience if found out - to the extent of being barred from using their facilities - which would ruin a weeks holiday with mates if it happened on day one, right?

On the finding out, most places I've been to require a photo on the pass (taken on purchase) which then pings up on a screen as the pass is flashed.
ski holidays
But weekly passes has no photo. None of the resorts I’ve been to had.

While I agree the OP’s solution would be better achieved by a chat with @admin. The situation is no different from getting lift pass from a TO rep on the transfer bus. You think the TO will let an uncollected weekly pass goes to waste when there’s a change (or mix up) in the name of a guest? Or he’ll simply hand the new guest the same pass?
snow report
Non-transferability is all very well, but the reductio ad absurdum of that is that if I go to the lift office and buy two tickets I then cannot transfer one of them to the person with whom I am skiing.
snow report
Absolutely never going to be an issue selling a unused 1 week pass that has no ID on it. Surprised at those saying there will be. T&Cs and all that malarkey, never going to be an issue. Season passes are a different story as is sharing lift passes.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@mrvinegar, I suspect some of the motivation is that if it's against the operator's Ts&Cs - any I've read have a non-transferability clause - you are likely to have an unpleasant experience if found out - to the extent of being barred from using their facilities - which would ruin a weeks holiday with mates if it happened on day one, right?

On the finding out, most places I've been to require a photo on the pass (taken on purchase) which then pings up on a screen as the pass is flashed.

But there is no name or photo!
snow conditions
@mrvinegar, good point.
latest report
Back to the OP, who are you going to sell it to?

Everyone coming for the EOSB would have already bought their week's pass from @admin...
snow report
abc wrote:
Back to the OP, who are you going to sell it to?

Somebody might choose to be in VT the same week but not on the EOSB deal.

I did that for the Family Bash week last winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrvinegar wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Yeah but we are talking about a weekly pass here, not a season one, so why the drama?

Pray tell, where in the OPs post did it say anything about weekly passes?

The vast majority of this sort of post are for season passes.

It was only in a follow up post did the OP clarify that it was a weekly pass and since he did I can't see anyone saying it would be a problem or that he shouldn't or am i missing something?
latest report
@marcellus
WASHOUT wrote:
Following on from the sharing a lift pass thread, what's the thoughts on selling a unused week pass? The pass has never been through the turnstile.
ski holidays
Much appreciated for replys. If selling I was more thinking of the 5 other snowheads who will be in the neighbourhood on eosb week but will keep you in mind Dave. But I may use the pass to justify another holiday, some good deals been coming in to.my emails recently!
latest report
marcellus wrote:

Er, when he said "unused week pass?"
snow report
Similar to the other, "shared pass" thread, at least 50% of the responses either did not read the initial post as written (they "read" what they THOUGHT was written), or did not read the subsequent clarification.
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Er, when he said "unused week pass?"

Apologies missed that bit Embarassed but even so I think the majority of replies were that it should be ok in this instance.
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
. But I may use the pass to justify another holiday, some good deals been coming in to.my emails recently!

Now you know that's the real answer..
snow report
@WASHOUT, most of those 'in the neighbourhood' will probably have season passes or days they are using from other resorts. If you contact @admin he may be able to sort out something for you. People have been known to go on the EoSB and not ski.
latest report
Bang it on eBay.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Bang it on eBay.

And sell it 5 times. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy