Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can this midweek trip be done?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm wondering whether it's possible to arrange a midweek trip at the end of March (27th-30th), with a view to getting a lesson on the first (ski) day and then a couple of days putting it into practice. I've skied this season already, but went early and would love to get a quick fix before the end of the season.

I know going over a weekend makes things easier, but that's not possible due to existing commitments. I'm also ignoring (for now) any Brexit related travel issues - I'm pretty certain planes will be coming back into the country after 29/3...

My local airport is BHX, but midweek flights are very limited. So I might need to go to Luton. Gatwick is too far unless everything else is perfect, and STN is a definite no!

Resort-wise, I was looking at the 3 Valleys, but I can't seem to find transfers - which I expect will be my main issue wherever I look.

Can anyone suggest where I should look to try and make midweek work, or should I just accept that I need to either ski at a sensible time in the season, or keep a long weekend free in future?

For some further context....
Sauze is my favourite resort - have been 4 times, inc this year, so not looking at Via Lattea this time
Skied Zell am See in March before and felt it was too slushy far too early in the day (too low?)
Loved Kitzbuhel last year...
WAsn't a fan of Alpe d'Huez particularly, but it was the start of the french holiday so maybe that didn't help. Everything seemed to get pretty churned up very early in the day
Quite enjoyed Morzine, but guess that's probably too low for end of March
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For convenience of travel on public services, it may be that Sauze holds an advantage from Turin airport during the week. Travel to there doesn't seem too costly at any time compared to 3v etc.

Or something like Champéry in the PdS, as you can get a train all the way to stop at the station by the cable car in that village Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For short trips, hiring a car is the ideal way of getting from the airport. It's cheap for a few days and you'll waste less time. That would also facilitate getting a few nights in a "valley" hotel and driving up - roads should be easy. And it's low season in terms of French accommodation costs. I should think it's perfectly doable if you can get to Luton.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Midweek travel is easiest to Austrian and Swiss resorts which have railway stations; no bus transfer or car hire required.

Done it loads of times to the likes of Engelberg (good for the end of March), Grindelwald (a bit lower), Arosa, even Saas Fee at a push. Early flight from Heathrow with Swiss (free ski carriage) to Zurich, straight on the train, skiing by 12.30.

The ski areas around Innsbruck might be a possibility, too. Flight into Innsbruck itself then buses or trams to various resorts including the Stubai glacier. Solden is fairly easy from Innsbruck by public transport.

Lots of options if you think outside the 'tour ops favourite' resorts. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travel to Sauze by public transport is not that easy! I did it in Dec... (bus (sometimes 2), then train, then bus or taxi...) And you can only do it during civilised hours - if you have an early flight, then it's taxi or nothing. For a week's holiday, it's fine, but for a few days, it's either a palava or costly. But Via Lattea is definitely an area I want to avoid this time though, having been this year already.

I'll look into Champery though - looks like you'd need to head to Avoriaz to get some decent skiing in?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm very happy to go outside of tour ops' favourites! And I'm liking the sound of skiing by 12.30. LHR is easy to get to - easier than Luton (but flights tend to be cheaper from Luton). I'll look into Engelberg if that's good for March.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WoottonBecs, the other point is that Swiss and Austrian hoteliers tend to be more flexible on length of stay and appear less tied in to the weekend to weekend regimes elsewhere. And I believe Swiss fly to Zurich daily from Brum.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Engelberg is brilliant for the end of March. I've been in the last week of April for the last two seasons and it has been superb.

Swiss flights are pretty reasonable to Zurich, then train to Engelberg via Lucerne. Hotel Sonnwendhof is 200 yards from the railway platform!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies for my Sauze analysis. I was comparing to 3v and Tarantaise generally, as it always draws sucking of teeth when cost comes into getting there outside normal operations, along with route etc.

Champéry has a big cablecar straight up from village to higher plateu so snow shouldn't be problematic. Plus it's not far to then lift right to Avoriaz.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-02-19 17:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LHR with BA to Innsbruck if you go on the 26th?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St gervais/chamonix area must be the most convenient for a trip like this -6am flight out of luton plenty of transfers from geneva skiing by lunchtime .Return 9.40pm flight from geneva =full day before flying
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy