Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smartwatches for skiing (Garmin Fenix)

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone use a smartwatch of some description when skiing? I've been looking at the garmin Fenix range. They seem like great devices but not sure if I'm just been suckered in to a device because I'm a bit of a geek. I'd be interest to hear feedback on if they think they're a worthwhile investment? I'm not a runner or swimmer so they may see limited use otherwise.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a fenix. Love it. Used it on 2 ski trips last year and it helped me plan an off piste morning by seeing exactly the route I’d previously taken. Also use it in fridges to see how many runs I’ve done. Use it as my normal watch as well. Sport pursuit of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Forerunner 230 because I love gadgets. Use it mostly for mountain biking just to link to Strava but I also like the smartwatch elements (such as viewing text messages, controlling music on phone etc.). There are map options that use the data signal of the phone but I've found them a bit clunky. Used it once for skiing but for just piste stuff I didn't really see a big benefit as couldn't find a decent bit of software to view the data in.

To be honest I probably don't get a huge amount of use out of it in terms of what it's intended for (the exercise bit) but I love it as a watch and rarely wear my other watches any more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a Suunto Ambit 3. I run, ski and hike, and use it for all of the above (tho' I also have a polar m400 which is a better running-only watch, but no altimeter etc. for skiing).

Great for navigation and a fun toy, but if you don't need to navigate then its of very limited use skiing. I suppose it probably saves your phone battery to use the watch for run tracking etc., but I don't bother as I have no particular desire to count up the day's runs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can see maps in garmin connect or strava. I’ll post some screenshots when I’m back at a computer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
endoman wrote:
Can see maps in garmin connect or strava. I’ll post some screenshots when I’m back at a computer.

Yeah but the problem with strava/connect is that I don't want it to record the uplift so have to stop it at the bottom of every run, so when the watch syncs you end up with about 20 'exercises' in a row.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a Forerunner 235 a couple of months ago – really pleased with it. Garmin have their own app store, and there are various apps on there for skiing. I’ll test a few over the winter, I’m sure there’s at least one usable one.

So far I’ve installed and been using a hiking app which has been really good. Great data recording, GPS etc. I specifically went for the 235 for the GPS and altimeter (and HR), intending to use it for skiing and touring.

So I’d say go for it – just make sure that the model you buy can use the Garmin app store/Connect (not all can).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so far. Good feedback. I've been looking at the Fenix 3HR. The Fenix 5X looks the biz but cant justify that price!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@blacksheep, yes I have the 935 which is a lot less bulky than the 3HR. Another one to look at would be new Apple Watch 3 which has a barometer in it now....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have an iphone 7 and looked at the iwatch but thought it wouldn't be suitable for skiing yet. Not sure why I ruled it out.....

will take a look at the Forerunners
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@blacksheep, if you've got some spare time......

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-fenix5-5s-5x-review.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html

If you have any Wiggle discount for loyalty they are giving 17% for platinum that ends today.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, thanks. Great links, will have a read.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Fenix 5. Use it daily as my activity tracker (steps, HR, sleep, calories etc...) and running. Have not used it for skiing yet but, one of the reasons I wanted the Fenix 5 was to track my XC and alpine skiing.

It’s amazing piece of tech but if you’re only using it for skiing I think it might be too much.

Looked at the Apple Watch as well but decided on the Fenix 5 as it has glove friendly operation and better battery life.

@SnoodlesMcFlude

My understanding with the built in downhill ski (or snowboard) widget (on the Fenix 5) is that it records each downhill run and pauses and starts a new run after gone uphill or stopped and everything saved in one activity.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another contender Smile Vivoactive 3

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/garmin-vivoactive-3-in-depth-review.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Spoon, I think so too - albeit I'm using it on a Vivoactive.
snow conditions
@Spoon, if the software works like that then it's great, the problem I had was that I could pause at the bottom of the run but when I restarted at the top it would make Strava throw a wobbly.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, my 935 uploaded to Strava and seems to have no uplift and each downhill is a lap.
latest report
Yep each downhill is a lap on mine from the Fenix also, couple of screenshots from Strava to show how detailed the map can go, and the laps. I use it on the ski/board setting for this. Only the up and over chair confused it.

snow conditions
I also have the Forerunner 935. Have had it since April; absolutely love it and use it all the time, rather than just for longer runs/quality training sessions and long walks as I'd originally planned.

I've not used it for skiing yet, but it's very impressive for running (for which I primarily use it), hiking, general tracking of HR, etc., and the smartwatch elements are useful. Also, GPS has locked on within a couple of seconds 100% of the time so far, which is much more consistent than my previous Garmins, and there don't seem to be any weird Garmin bugs either (my older devices suffered from backwards charging and reboot loops). The battery life is insane. As said above, it's lighter than the Fenix 5, but with all the same features as far as I know - was also significantly cheaper when I bought mine, so a good option if you're looking to pay less and are happy with a more plastic build!
latest report
@blacksheep, I love a good gadget as much as the next man. I had a wonderful gps thingy way back in about 2001. Triangular job you attached to your upper arm.

However, I’m not convinced by smart watches for skiing. I don’t think it does anything more than you can do with Skitracks and a smartphone, and I rather suspect it does a bit less in some respects. You can upload skitracks to Strava if that’s what turns you on.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@blacksheep, I love a good gadget as much as the next man. I had a wonderful gps thingy way back in about 2001. Triangular job you attached to your upper arm.

However, I’m not convinced by smart watches for skiing. I don’t think it does anything more than you can do with Skitracks and a smartphone, and I rather suspect it does a bit less in some respects. You can upload skitracks to Strava if that’s what turns you on.

I second this post. I have a Fenix, and it's great for hillwalking - tracking routes etc.

However when skiing I prefer skitracks. Perhaps as I am 49 and the phone screen is larger than the Fenix Very Happy
snow report
Can't disagree with that re the phone, but battery life will be compromised. Before I had a fenix I put my little Garmin 510 bike computer in my pocket and used that to record my activity. Synced to laptop when back at the hotel. Worked fine, of course I couldn't read it while skiing, but I don't look at the watch either. I do like being able to look back at where I've been on previous trips.
latest report
I have a Suunto Traverse. If you are recording GPS you need to charge the watch over night. Not used it to plan/lead me on routes. But recorded a few offpiste runs and it helped me to find an iPhone that my son lost offpiste (I marked the location when he lost it, and went back in the summer with a friend and we found it! Didn’t work as it was buried in snow and probably a small stream for 6 months, still still). Here is a screenshot from an upload into movescount on the pc

q
latest report
I've got a Fenix 2 which I use for running, cycling, hiking, ski touring, open water swimming. I have used it for piste skiing about twice but I find the information so boring I don't bother tracking myself when piste skiing anymore. I do wear it but just as a watch. I find the compass occasionally useful for avalanche safety use off piste. If I was skiing off piste in an area that I didn't know well then I might use way points and the altimeter a bit.

My take is that it is way over the top if piste skiing is your main use. Why not just use your phone if you really enjoy tracking your ski runs?
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, Agreed, I don't know why people want to map where they've been - its a bit like all the people who go to gigs and record using their mobile phone, just watch it! The memories are much more relevant than looking at a bunch of data or a video clogging up the phone.

I have a Suunto, used it to measure altitude when mountain-biking a few times in the Alps and it was so wildly inaccurate (and bulky) I put it back in the box and it sits in my spare room with no battery in it!

On the other hand I use a Fitbit Charge 2 (as a HR monitor, guide only) and to measure sleep and approximate steps (I don't get hung up on the exact data, and only use it as a comparison tool) and find that pretty useful. I dislike watches and bling and the Fitbit is great. If I was remotely interested that i'd done 41.333333k whilst skiing that day i'd use Strava when out on my bike - I don't bother with that either, seen too many folk trying to race their wrist rather than enjoying the ride......both on skis and bike.
ski holidays
@Markymark29,
Quote:

Agreed, I don't know why people want to map where they've been - its a bit like all the people who go to gigs and record using their mobile phone, just watch it! The memories are much more relevant than looking at a bunch of data or a video clogging up the phone.

I agree. I actually don't have any problem with recording the routes, as long as one appreciates that 99% of the data will be incredibly dull. The only things that are of any vague interest are:

1. "Surprised we skiied so far today. Much more than Tuesday"
2. "Did we really ski Jerusalem five times today? Blimey, so we did!"
3. "My top speed is faster than yours" Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

"My top speed is faster than yours"

Yeah, its that one that concerns me....there's too many out of control idiots out there already without being egged on by a gadget! rolling eyes
latest report
@Markymark29, when I’m on the bike I always find it interesting to see how far I’ve been, how long it took and what speed was. However I don’t go out to achieve big numbers, I’m not a segment racer that’s looking to beat everyone. I will admit though that it’s satisfying to finish a ride and see that I’m quickest of the day though.
The other advantage is when I’m following someone else or adventuring a bit, allows me to see where I’ve been.

For skiing I’m less interested, but that’s probably because I’m mainly a piste skier. I don’t use ski tracks because I don’t aim to ski the furthest or fastest. Again though I’ll admit to finding it interesting when someone in the group is using it, but it’s more a passing interest rather than something I want to do the whole time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On first glance i though this was a discussion on sandwiches for skiing, after some quick thoughts about protein and slow release carbs common sense kicked in..

I use Garmin Vivoactive HR, has GPS, Skiing mode, altitude, Heart-rate etc. Works quite well although touchscreen aspect can get frustrating when skiing.
latest report
I suppose the market is too small, but if you really want this stuff (and not in a phone), then integrating it with a transceiver would seem more obvious.

I suppose people like me (with sensibly sized wrists and no desire for jewellery) could always stick the watch in a pocket, but "sports" watches always seem huge to me. And as I have a phone already... (yes, I know the phone interferes with the transceiver etc).
snow report
I've ordered an Apple Watch series 3 today. Will see how I get on with it.
snow report
Okay disclaimer. My friends uncle owns Garmin. ( Min Kao)

I think these things are great for people that are a bit geeky and great if you like that type of detail. However, if you are only nterested in general skiing and you will use it in the bar to enforce a point then it will only increase your "bore-rating".

I'm considering one of these to track my general "get fit routine". Now, I only wish my friend could get me a discount.

Also, some people pay lots of money for a "non quartz" Swiss automatic watch (I prefer quartz so have a Citizen) and I would always buy a grand Seiko for that soif you can afford it then no difference buying the Garmin compared to an other quality watch.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Also, some people pay lots of money for a "non quartz" Swiss automatic watch (I prefer quartz so have a Citizen) and I would always buy a grand Seiko for that soif you can afford it then no difference buying the Garmin compared to an other quality watch.

I have 2 Quartz (Seiko divers watch and a very old Luminox navy seals watch) and an automatic (Tag Heuer Aquaracer) and frankly the Seiko looks just like the Aquaracer and pi55es on it in just about every way. The aquaracer is a bit heavier which can be quite comforting but on the whole the differences are tiny except over £1000 in the price tag. So I'm with you that buying Japanese is the way forward.

But I don't know if I can agree with you that buying a Garmin watch is the same as any other quality watch. A good quartz or mechanical watch will last forever not just as long as the firmware is developed for.
snow report
as long as the firmware works then there isn't a problem. Part of my job is showing people how to update custom firmware. Piece of wee wee.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
I suppose the market is too small, but if you really want this stuff (and not in a phone), then integrating it with a transceiver would seem more obvious.

I suppose people like me (with sensibly sized wrists and no desire for jewellery) could always stick the watch in a pocket, but "sports" watches always seem huge to me. And as I have a phone already... (yes, I know the phone interferes with the transceiver etc).

Modern ones are a lot smaller....

I have fairly normal wrists I think, here is the 935 with optional leather strap (I use this for work and swop to plastic for workouts)

snow report
I find that although my Garmin is quite big it’s actually fairly light so is comfortable to wear. I used to wear a watch every day but for one reason or another gradually stopped wearing them. Now that I’ve got the Garmin I’m back to always wearing one. On days that I’m likely to do a lot of walking or go for a bike ride I’ll put the Forerunner on, other days I’ll wear whatever watch suits my mood.

By the way I try not to utilise the ‘bore’ option of activity tracking. Stuff gets posted to Strava and may be commented on immediately after the exercise (e.g “that was only 7 miles, felt like more” or “apparently I did 25mph, that’s bull***t, we never went that quick”), mostly the info is just for my curiosity.
latest report
Just replaced my Suunto Ambit 3 with the Spartan Ultra and it's a great bit of kit, user interface has been greatly improved easy to upload routes on to it and so far pretty impressed. Got a good deal on it from go outdoors with scgb discount on the sale price.
ski holidays
I've got a Fenix 3 and was spot on for skiing last year. it's a great watch for all round sport and has apps on it for skiing.

I've got an Apple Watch 3 too - it's good for basic sport tracking but not as good as the Garmin for more serious stuff!

I'm actually going to take both skiing - probably put the Fenix in my bag to track and upload to Strava, Phone in inside pocket and Apple Watch for taking calls when on the lift!
ski holidays
Currently thinking if getting a Fenix 5 mainly for skiing but also to use with gym spin bikes when I travel (to supplement my Garmin 520). The appeal is to to incorporate my skiing days into my overall fitness metrics held in TrainingPeaks. (I am a cycling data geek)

Could someone let me know if its worth getting the 5X over the 5 and also if opting for the Sapphire glass is necessary - is the normal glass sufficiently scratch resistant?

@endoman, How does the garmin deal with lifts - does it auto-pause for the entire uphill journey or it is logged as a separate Lap? Furthermore how does Strava plot the lifts if the garmin is paused for the uphill, does Strava automatically draw a straight line between the end or one run and the start of a new run which I assume mucks up the stats for distance and vertical drop skiied?
ski holidays
@Ozboy, it shows the lifts and runs, but is clever enough not to count the lifts as "moving" time if that makes sense? The suffer score is very small for me, my HR hardly moves skiing (unless touring uphill)

Think my Strava is private though, can you see this example?? https://www.strava.com/activities/936213136

5x is big but if you want maps it's the only choice.

Personally I went for the 935 as loads lighter (mentally easier to run/swim with!!) and also the plastic body seems to give better GPS and better pick up of power meters, heart rate monitors etc etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy