Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria advice.

Poster: A snowHead
This is probably a simple question, but is there an Austrian equivalent to the Carre neige? If so, what is it called, and how do you buy it? Many thanks for any help. We have never been skiing in Austria before, so have never had to consider it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes there is, certainly in the Ski Amade area. You will be asked when you buy your pass if you want insurance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@panaga52, Excellent, thanks. I think we are of to Lech, so that's Arlberg isn't it? I seem to remember a thread once, but i can't just find it. Wish the search on here was better. (Admin??)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@panaga52, i have never been asked, having bought more than 20 passes in Flachau over the years and am genuinely interested to know about it. What is it called? How much is it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@panaga52, Really? More details please.
11 seasons in Ski Amade (Schladming) and have never been asked or been aware of such a thing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@panaga52, I'm not sure this is correct, I've certainly never heard of it, never been asked and no guests of ours have mentioned it over the years when buying their Ski Amade pass. I could of course be wrong - is it new? What is it called and how much is it? Ange.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, @cad99uk, So if i stick to having decent insurance ( Evac and medical) we should be ok?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thecramps, yes absolutely...and your EHIC. PM if you are interested in the amade

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-01-19 19:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When you buy your pass in the Arlberg, you can get what is called the Arlberg Safety Card. They just print "ASC" on your lift pass and it will cover getting you off the pistes. https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/regions/ski-area/lech-oberlech-zuers/tickets/safety-card
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sitter, again...a genuine question...why would you need it when travel insurance would cover any costs
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, I believe so you don't have to pay out then claim back later etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, @Sitter, Thanks both of you.
It's quite exciting we think. 30 or 40 ski trips, yet never Austria. We aren't really sure how that happened either Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thecramps, the mountain rescue will get you to the bottom of the mountain, this service is within your lift pass. If they feel you need a helicopter rescue, this is not included, so you need insurance for this. From the bottom of the mountain to a medical centre, the ambulance will take you which will be charged, it's about €60. You will most likely have to pay and claim back from your insurance. HTH. Ange
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, this is for the Ski Amade area. I don't know about other areas. Ange.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I believe so you don't have to pay out then claim back later etc
. Might be useful for people without good credit limit maybe. I don't know if they ask for payment in the Amade. Flangesax would likely know. Maybe flashing your insurance would be enough. It was for a private ambulance and hospital for me. Didn't pay a cent in advance...but that was from the apartment not bring taken off the slopes.
snow conditions
@flangesax, Thanks for that. As far as I can tell, they are more reasonable and more organised on these things in Austria than France or Italy. Would that be in simple terms a correct assumption?
snow conditions
Ah...I see Ange has already made the point
ski holidays
Not that we plan an accident, but we always cover ourselves as much as we can, just in case.

If anyone has any other useful tips on any other aspect of Austrian skiing, please fire away, you can never have too much advice, and who knows who else will read this thread in the future.
snow report
@thecramps, ski on the white stuff, drink beer and willis

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 3-01-19 20:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Willies???? Shocked
latest report
A helicopter ride from Schladming to Salzburg costs over 9000 euro! Every service charge is listed - minutes flying - the doc - the drugs etc. Makes interesting reading when the bill arrives, if you have insurance = phew! Ange
snow report
@thecramps, pear Williams schnapps with a piece of pear in it. Take the pear out on the stick, knock the schnapps back, eat the pear

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 3-01-19 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Willi mit frucht
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Now that sounds nice. Can't wait.

@flangesax, We will be, always are. We know of someone who wasn't and got into bother 10 years or so ago. I reckon he has probably just finished paying the loan he got to pay the bills. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
panaga52 wrote:
Yes there is, certainly in the Ski Amade area. You will be asked when you buy your pass if you want insurance.

Would appreciate an answer about this as several people have asked
snow conditions
@flangesax, @holidayloverxx and Team. Sorry misread the question!! Your lift pass is insured for loss and damage provided you keep the receipt, but that's not what you asked.

As Ange said earlier, the lift pass includes any costs incurred by the Mountain Rescue Team to get you to the Medical Centre or Evacuation Point on the slopes. Onward transport (including Helicopters/Ambulances etc) and treatment is not covered other than that stipulated under the European Health Insurance Card conditions (until 29 March 19 at least).

@thecramps, If your looking for "Family" cover then you can do al lot worse than Dogtag.co.uk I would recommend looking at their Annual Policy if you take more than one holiday a year. Sadly only open (in the small print) to UK Residents so I don't use them anymore.
snow report
Join the Alpenverein (Austrian Alpine Club in the UK). As part of the membership there is comprehensive mountain rescue insurance included (it is not travel insurance and you should have at least an EHIC card or other similar cover). Cost is around €60 / £50 per year. I believe there is a family option too. Easy to join online.
snow report
@munich_irish, The Alpenverein is a great option if you spend time doing lots of Mountain related sports Summer and Winter. Currently £92 per year for a Family of two adults and Children under 18 are free. But as you said it does not replace the other stuff on normal travel insurance like delays, lost luggage, curtailment etc. Linky Thing here: https://aacuk.org.uk/p-membership-2019
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
panaga52 wrote:
@flangesax, @holidayloverxx and Team. Sorry misread the question!! Your lift pass is insured for loss and damage provided you keep the receipt, but that's not what you asked.

It makes for some interesting misreading to come up with that answer wink

panaga52 wrote:

I'm still intrigued as to what insurance it is that you have been offered?

Maybe you are a little confused about the extra €3 [edit] on top of the lift pass price?

If so, this is a deposit for your pass which you can get back at the end of the week if you hand it back in to the kasse.

Sorry to be a bugbear, it is just that Snowheads is read by the google bots so often that we all have to try to make sure things are as accurate as possible!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=carre+neige+ski+amade&btnG=&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 5-01-19 12:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Woohoo. I'm going to Lech (well Zug, but near enough, 50m from the two man). Nice looking chalet, nice room, etc etc. I had discounted it as a bit too expensive, but mrsthecramps secretly booked it today as a birthday treat for me. Very excited now. snowHead
latest report
You'll love it thecramps Very Happy. What a fantastic area for your Austria debut. Great stuff.

As you were asking about Carre Neige, I assume you normally ski in France. In that case, prepare yourself for some half price apres ski beers Laughing (even if Lech, Zuers etc are at the upmarket end of Austrian apres wink ).
ski holidays
@thecramps, Fantastic Toofy Grin . A great place to ski, eat and drink Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Snow looks shoite
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, we had 9 available ski days...we got out for 4 and 2 of those were sketchy. Fair weather skiers. We have dug the car out as often as we have ve skied and we havent actually gone anywhere!
snow report
@thecramps, If you're staying in one of the Skiworld Chalets you'll love it. We stayed there with the kids one year and had a great time. A bit out of the way for Nightlife, unless you take the sleigh into Lech, but great location. Enjoy skiing down the Zuppert to get home!
latest report
@panaga52, We are indeed. Chalet Furka. Great name.

@halfhand, I certainly will be doing all three.

@mountainaddict, Thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@thecramps, If you are staying in Zug note there are no actual pistes back to the hamlet. There are 3 ski routes. Not sure if the ASC covers these (I would guess it does). There is a long debate on another thread about one of these (partly my fault), Madloch. I wont repeat it all here but suffice to say that Madloch and Zugertobel are prepared daily and in good conditions make for great not difficult skiing but they can get very moguled and icy towards the end of the day when they become much more difficult. Zuppert is not prepared and the official description is "challenging". There are very regular buses to and from Lech and the chair lift takes you to the network of blues and reds above Lech.
latest report
@munich_irish, I have been following that thread too. We will be fine I am sure. We are both ski quite well, and can tackle difficult steeps when we have to.
We are really looking forward to it, it'll be fun learning our way around a new area. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@thecramps, It which case you will have a great time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy