Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket advice - eVent, Montane, Rab, Salomon, Berghaus

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am after a jacket that is suitable for skiing one week a year but also suitable for more general use, day hikes etc.

I get warm easier than some, so breathability is very important, from what I have read eVent is the best fabric for this (certainly it seems siginifcantly more breathable than XCR).

I tried on a Montane Superfly ("award winning") and a Montane Ventura today - they both fitted well and had good pockets, although wasn't sure what to make of the roll up hoods (probably okay). The Superfly probably isn't aimed at 40 year olds who like blue runs, and walks in the Lake District and Scotland - the tougher Ventura would probably be better for me of the two. I think the Rab Corrie might be a similar jacket.

But even then I am thinking it is perhaps a little too lightweight for me - I don't want a warm fleecy jacket but I wouldn't mind something that has a little more substance to it. So perhaps I should be looking at more traditional jackets, but there is such a plethora of choice, even the fabrics.

Along these lines then I also tried on a Salomon Preface which I liked and was a nice fit, I can't remember the fabric. But will it be very breathable? ....

Help and guidance most gratefull received!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, welcome to snowHead

I was trying on jackets at Helly Hansen and they have a jacket that sounds ideal... however I cannot remember what it was called!

It was made from there fancy breathable stuff, though not the super stretchy version. It has a zip in powderskirt so you can remove it when using it as a walking jacket. If there is a store near you maybe you could check out what they have to offer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used jackets made from goretex paclite and drylite for the past few years. These are very lightweight (about 450 grams I think) and when combined with a base layer and a couple of thin fleece shirts have been warm enough. They are certainly hard wearing enough for skiing and walking - 3 layer goretex is fine if you want to spend the money but not necessary IMO
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
simonx, Look to the right of the Snowheads homepage OR CLICK HERE and you will see an ad for Keela jackets. I have a Keela Monro and have been delighted with it. I have done the Beacons Way in October and 2 weeks skiing. Non padded shell, rated by Trail magazine as the most breathable fabric on test (OK I'm a high sweater) pit zips, snow skirt, sensible pockets. It does weigh in at 950g so not for summer walking or warm mid season days. There are discounts for snowheads.
Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paramo ?

Not based on 'plastic bag' technology and has nice big zips to help venting.

Though some say that they run warm in it. Wear less underneath and you might get away from this.

For more detail than you tend to find on snowheads, try the forums and reviews on outdoorsmagic.com
It's a walking/climbing site, so you'll find advice on more general suitability than just skiing.

Mind you, the Paramo/goretex/event 'discussions' on there make the helmet 'chats' here look like idle chitchat....

d
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
simonx, 'nother vote for Paramo. Lasts for years, reproofable, repairable - what more could you want ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paramo doesn't leave you feeling damp when you are working hard, it wicks not only vapour but liquid as well. Also, I never seem to feel too hot or too cold - always 'just right'.
The downside with Paramo is that it doesn't look very stylish (if that bothers you).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simonx, i havent used any Montane stuff for skiing but they produced some great gear for a boat i raced on a few years ago....

they were always really helpful, give them a call, i'm sure they'd be happy to discuss which of their range would best suit your needs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone - I have decided eVent is the fabric for me, which narrows it down to Rab and Montane I think.

I tried on a Rab Lofoten Jacket yesterday and a Montane Superfly XT - both good, not too short, slightly preferred the fit of the Rab - neither had pit zips which is something I like, but hey, I'll never get anything if I kepp adding criteria!

Problem is that they are both £200 - which is more than what is justified in my case. Maybe I can find one in a sale though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen some good deals on Mountain Technology XCR jackets - very serious mountaineering shell at very sensible prices.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy