Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"I have a five year plan"....

Poster: A snowHead
Here is another success story video that hopefully highlights that by getting some early coaching, combined with targeted training and practice plus a lot of mileage for fun can do for your skiing.

Mike came to us in November 2009 with a simple goal, he wanted to become a fully certified ski instructor. Having done a little research he figured it would take about 5 years and wanted to work with us at Hemel to develop a plan of action on how to achieve this.

This is a very tough challenge, especially for someone with only 5 weeks skiing under their belt but Mike is a great athlete who had competed at international level as a player, and, as a coach guided the England touch rugby team to their first ever World Cup final. We were delighted that someone with such a strong coaching background placed his trust in us to help him meet his goals.

We started in November 2009 and from the video you can see the tremendous progress Mike made in the year we worked with him. He is on track to meet his goal having passed his level 1 instructor course in June 2010, his L2 award in March 2011 and should conclude his Level 3 exams this coming season before moving on to the final hurdle of the Level 4 modules.

A fantastic achievement, we were delighted to be part of his journey and we wish him well in the coming years.

https://vimeo.com/74525886
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wasn't that fantastic? I just loved the bumps sequence. How I wish I had more time and money to put into it. Clearly a lot of hard work from everyone, absolutely envious here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Great vid....the Alps skiing looked v nice. Going from L1 to L2 in under a year is v impressive.

Just goes to show that having a plan really helps....he (re)started in the very same year I did Embarassed
However, he has the advantage of having a far better wardrobe; which of course makes all the difference wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Guys. Awesome. Just awesome. Very, very well done all of you. I am humbled and impressed. The bumps sequence in particular highlights the excellence of coaching.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stunning, just stunning! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent, excellent, excellent!! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been very rewarding to play a part in Mike's development. Had the pleasure of skiing with him in Niseko a couple of times, and really love this shot of him. Makes all the time at Hemel more than worthwhile!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 18-09-13 10:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good vid. Loved it at the beginning when he wasn't skiing well. Previous instructor favoured thigh steering and solid pole plants? No prize for guessing who that was! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great progression I think I've had the pleasure of sharing a few turns with Mike, he's a lovely guy as well as a very competent skier
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great progression I think I've had the pleasure of sharing a few turns with Mike, he's a lovely guy as well as a very competent skier
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski,
Quote:

he's a lovely guy as well as a very competent skier
Absolutely. And to see him practising at Hemel is awe-inspiring - he is tireless.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow! Thanks for all the flattering comments folks!

ALQ, I have been accused of a lot of things, but having good dress sense is DEFINITELY not one of them! Smile

rob@rar, what a brilliant few days those were and thanks for putting your body on the line to take that shot Smile

kitenski, we have had some great turns together (and one not so great one if I recall Wink - apologies! Smile ) Hopefully see you in early November in Tignes

Pedantica, great to see you again the other day and to see your fantastic progression too!

I still have some way to go and lots to learn, but as I have said before, I really feel the MAIN reason I have been able to progress the way I have is due to the solid foundations that were laid by skimottaret and rob@rar in my first year of 'proper skiing'.

You can be the most motivated sports person in the world, but without the correct coaching and guidance as I received from Inside Out Skiing, you will certainly find things a lot harder and may never even reach your goal.
A big thumbs up and thank you for their time, effort and expertise in shaping my skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That video is well worth all the time it must have taken to make - fantastic job all round. That bump sequence just made me smile out loud, sitting here with my morning mug of tea. snowHead Reminds me of a guy I knew who is a Yachtmaster Instructor and delivers yachts. My daughter, as a 16 year old instructor, had taught him to sail on a beginner course. We sailed Toppers together in a fun race, shortly after. I undersood what the tide was doing and was a basically competent dinghy sailor who had sailed for years but without much coaching or conscious "development"; he was still just a beginner. Afterwards, in the bar, he was determined to find out how I had beaten him and had me drawing diagrams. Not that many years later he was a Yachtmaster Instructor and I was someone who had once been a competent dinghy sailor but was very out of practice, moving much less well in the boat and lost my "eye" for how much to aim off for the tide. Years later I went on one of his cruising courses and found that he was a really great instructor - he enjoyed telling my fellow trainees that my daughter had taught him to sail and was not too hard on me when I screwed up.

He put in hours, weeks, months, of work, had good instruction, dedicated himself to learning and practising, gave up the day job. People who have been "skiing for 20 years" often ski less well than Mike at the beginning of that video.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru, awesome work, the username suddenly makes sense as well. How many days skiing did you put in per year?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touchguru, and others - out of interest can you give some background to the improvement above.

Sounds like lots of people on here know you from previous trips etc, but just out interest it would give an interesting perspective to others if you could give a bit of information on age, occupation (outside of skiing), status and also how much time / trips / courses were put into the above?

Don't worry I'm not trying to fish for your bank pin-code or anything, but it's something I've always wondered how long and how much effort it would take to achieve something similar.
snow conditions
Touchguru, Not to detract at all from your brilliant achievements (and although my own progress has been insignificant in comparison! Laughing ), I have to agree with your comments about rob@rar, and skimottaret,. Their coaching has made a big contribution to the huge pleasure I am currently able to get from my skiing snowHead .
ski holidays
Nice moves in the bumps!

Quote:

People who have been "skiing for 20 years" often ski less well than Mike at the beginning of that video.

Yup. That's me.
Was starting to create a list of areas to work on in December. Watching the first half of that vid made my list a whole lot longer. Think I'll need more than 5 years for such a plan though.

edit: and have to agree with Iski, there. The only time anyone has mentioned to me that my skiing technique has improved, was on the birthday bash shortly after the first IO bash in Sölden. So Rob and Scott must have had something to do with that.
snow report
I have not skied a lot with Inside Out because I live too far from Hemel to go very often. But about to do my second Tignes trip. I'm sure there are plenty of good instructors out there (and some poor ones, obviously) but working with the same, very good, instructors over a period of time does seem to make a big difference. More like having a "coach" which is, after all, what top sports people do - they don't have a different coach every whipstitch and changing coach is a very big deal. The IOS "model" seems to be an unusual one, making that "coaching" model accessible to occasional recreational skiers rather than serious competitive athletes.
snow conditions
rob@rar, any chance of reducing piccie size please?

Touchguru, I'm out for the weekend arriving 7th Nov.....
snow report
Another great compilation video skimottaret. Quite inspiring and a well prosecuted plan Touchguru Cool snowHead
latest report
Great vid and progression. Congrats to Touchguru on the success so far and good luck on the last hurdle snowHead
rob@rar, skimottaret, fab x
snow conditions
Touchguru, well done, I really enjoyed that video.

Now; no making me look silly next monday!!
snow conditions
flowa, did you get your L2 yet?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I suspect you won't need any help to do that next Monday Smile
snow report
Watch it kitenski, I was going to invite you over for a ride round Calderdale early next month.

I may have to point you down the wrong bit Twisted Evil
latest report
Thanks again for all the comments everyone Smile Really kind of you as I still have a fair way to go as far as I am concerned.

meh, My username was actually a crib of another friend of mines. I would not wish to be as presumptuous as to assume to be a 'guru' at anything!! Smile
I skied 6 weeks last season, 2012/2013, with only one of those being an instruction week with skimottaret and Ski Marmalade and the rest of the time it was just skiing for fun.

reded78, without meaning to come across as rude, your questions do seem a little personal for a public forum, so I will answer them as accurately as I can in light of this.

Age - between 20 and 50. In my estimation, this is less important than attitude and physical ability, which some 50 year olds have but some 20 year olds do not.

Occupation - ex-City 'slave' until 2003 and now involved with a sports leagues and events organisation. I was involved with the sports business when I started skiing.

Status - Really happy with life in general.

How much time/trips/courses -

Time - No exact idea if I am completely honest. At least 6 weeks per winter season over the last 3 years 2010/2011, 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 as well as some summer training and a few weeks pre-season training with Inside Out Skiing and others in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. Allied to this are days at Hemel doing drills in 2010 and 2011 and 2013 so far. I took almost the whole of 2012 off from any any courses or drill work (besides the one week in December 2012) to just ski for myself.

Trips - As above

Courses - All the courses to complete the BASI Level 3 (ISIA) Pathway except the Technical and Language modules, which I hope to complete this season. The skiing weeks are included in the above.

kitenski, see you there then.

Mosha Marc, no danger of that Smile Look forward to meeting you on Monday.
latest report
skimottaret, rob@rar, I've been very impressed by these videos, you're obviously very good at what you do!

Touchguru, Congrats, too! Nice skiing and very impressive progress! If you don't mind me asking, how is the last stage of you plan progressing? Do you feel L4/Eurotest is achievable? I ask as I'd ruled out any chance of me being able to pass it (particularly the Eurotest), but maybe I'm just lacking application.
ski holidays
hi mate, did not mean to sound to be too personnel, just wanted to see if it was something that could be fitted around a family life - by the sounds of it probably not?? But well done, I for one am very jealous.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78 wrote:
just wanted to see if it was something that could be fitted around a family life - by the sounds of it probably not??
I'd say that getting to BASI Level 2 can be achieved within the constraints of family life, if you can use your available skiing time available in a technically focused way. It certainly helps if you have year-round access to an indoor or artificial slope where it is possible to continue your skills development when you aren't in the mountains. To get beyond Level 2 requires a significant step up in terms of time, money and commitment, and is probably more than most people can manage with a full-time job, family holidays, etc.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I have not skied a lot with Inside Out because I live too far from Hemel to go very often. But about to do my second Tignes trip. I'm sure there are plenty of good instructors out there (and some poor ones, obviously) but working with the same, very good, instructors over a period of time does seem to make a big difference. More like having a "coach" which is, after all, what top sports people do - they don't have a different coach every whipstitch and changing coach is a very big deal. The IOS "model" seems to be an unusual one, making that "coaching" model accessible to occasional recreational skiers rather than serious competitive athletes.
Really pleased that you recognise that, because the "coaching" model is one that we strive for.
ski holidays
reded78 wrote:
hi mate, did not mean to sound to be too personnel, just wanted to see if it was something that could be fitted around a family life - by the sounds of it probably not?? But well done, I for one am very jealous.

I'm working towards my L2 with a family of 2 kids aged 10 and 13. They will need to expect that you will need to be away sometime during the year, at a minimum the L1 course is a week 9-5 + homework at a local snow slope, the L2 is a solid 2 weeks in the Alps, full on with work most evenings.

Depending on your current level you would need to supplement that with extra training. I am hoping to do L2 resit in May 2014, planning a weekends training in Nov sans family, a weeks training in Jan (with wife, kids with grandmas), a weeks family skiing in Easter (where I will need to do drills, but I can do that whilst skiing with my kids).

That's supplemented by monthly trips to XScape currently to ski moguls.....
latest report
Cacciatore wrote:
flowa, did you get your L2 yet?

Haven't had the chance to do it yet Sad
Was suggested by my BASI trainer to do it as soon as I qualified L1 (+35 hrs teaching) but I couldn't afford it on my fulltime ski instructor wages from HH at that time (early 2012).

Then I got a job in my professional field (business continuity management) and became time poor instead. Was lined up to do it Dec 2012 but Elston and I decided to put the money/time to our wedding/honeymoon instead Very Happy Very Happy . ... and so it waits, still to be done.

I'm just glad that I get to teach as much as I do in the meantime (part-time at HH most weekends - I absolutely love it snowHead ) and will hopefully find the perfect time/money window in the next year or so ... + me and Elston can do it together now - woohoo Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 18-09-13 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Good luck with that.
ski holidays
Cacciatore, cheers - I'm really looking forward to doing it as soon as time/money aligns again snowHead
snow report
Touchguru, great, we have a name to put to the ISO success story Very Happy I'm really envious, particularly of the bumps, but won't get there myself as for the foreseeable future I will have neither the time or the cash whilst I get the kids through school for the next 6-8 years. Whether I could get that far at 50yrs + I just don't know, but perhaps if I occasionally get in some good instruction (which I try to most years) it will stop me getting too many bad habits engrained.

However, that's by the by. As I said above I think that progress video is brilliant - thank you for letting ISO post it, I think it is helpful to us novices to see, that with hard work and opportunity, we CAN end up as good skiers and that it is not an unachievable thing (which is sometimes what I have wondered). N.B. I also think your 5 year plan is great evidence to support a training course that I did the other week which reckoned that the key to success was having a written plan (or some means of following a plan through.) I think you should be very proud of yourself - I would be!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
reded78 wrote:
just wanted to see if it was something that could be fitted around a family life - by the sounds of it probably not??
I'd say that getting to BASI Level 2 can be achieved within the constraints of family life, if you can use your available skiing time available in a technically focused way. It certainly helps if you have year-round access to an indoor or artificial slope where it is possible to continue your skills development when you aren't in the mountains. To get beyond Level 2 requires a significant step up in terms of time, money and commitment, and is probably more than most people can manage with a full-time job, family holidays, etc.

That's my read on it too. The step up to L3 (from what I understand) is exponentially greater than from L1 to L2 in all respects - and L2 (again from what I understand) is a BIG step up from L1 but achievable, as rob@rar suggests, if you've got access to indoor/artificial slopes.

One recent example of this is the son of one of the staff at HH who passed his L2 earlier this year .... he'd never skied on a mountain before he went for it - only skied HH. Who says you can't advance your technique on a small slope? Cool

PS: no comment on mountain safety and experience - I don't know him personally and have no idea what training etc... he may have undertaken to bring these up to a standard a client might reasonably expect. So, please don't have a go at me about that. I just wanted to celebrate/acknowledge the technical achievement.
snow report
Great video skimottaret, good to see the progress.

touchguru's plan sounds very similar to mine, but its only started to be put in action very recently, so I'm further behind. Think it goes to show what's possible with a plan, focus and some fitness to help with stamina. I've gone from "never ever" to L1 in 9 months: I've only spent 2 weeks in the Alps and nothing like as much time at the indoor slope as certain snowHead!

Well done Mike and keep at it.
snow conditions
Great video skimottaret, good to see the progress.

touchguru's plan sounds very similar to mine, but its only started to be put in action very recently, so I'm further behind. Think it goes to show what's possible with a plan, focus and some fitness to help with stamina. I've gone from "never ever" to L1 in 9 months: I've only spent 2 weeks in the Alps and nothing like as much time at the indoor slope as certain snowHead!

Well done Mike and keep at it.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
Really pleased that you recognise that, because the "coaching" model is one that we strive for.

rob@rar - I always tend to refer to you and skimottaret as my ski coaches snowHead (which, to those who haven't seen me ski, unintentionally makes my skiing sound much better than it actually is Toofy Grin Embarassed ).
snow report
Nice skiing Touchguru, I think I actually saw that clip from August shared somewhere (was it Warren Smith?) and thought at the time that you skied well. Nice to have your progress documented so well, there was video taken from the start of my training course in 2005 when I had similar experience to you at the start of this edit, would love to see it now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy