Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot feeling loose in afternoon

Poster: A snowHead
I have just returned from a week skiing using my newly purchased boots. The boots are this season's atomic hawx 110's. I had to get the wide fitting version because of a large bunion on my left foot. The left boot is fine but by the afternoon the right foot feels as though it is about to fall out of the boot. I tried tightening all the clips but this seemed to make no difference. Any thoughts on what I can do to resolve this issue?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too big. Should've bought boots to fit your smallest/right foot and then had the left one blown out to fit. Any decent bootfitter would've told you this. If the shop has a fit guarantee then you need to go back but it's basically new boot time and you'll have too argue your case for reinbursement/exchange etc. If you chose those boots against their advice or you bought online etc then you're screwed.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 11-02-19 15:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The inners were heat moulded at the time. I did have a two hour boot fitting. There's a smaller bunion on the right foot as well so the normal size was uncomfortable on both feet!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMO what you actually needed was boots correctly sized for both feet without bunions and then have the shell punched for each bunion. The boots would have been damned uncomfortable until they were punched. If you have a large bunion on your left foot and the boot fits it without alteration then imagine what the fit would be like if you didn't have the bunion, ie it'd be like a wellie!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh im afraid you can't ski like that not only technically , but mentaly !!!!! It's like having a golf club you don't like
Your'e going to know every time you go skiing your not happy with it
Especially when your pushing yourself
We don't want a broken ankle, don't fall for the put another pair of socks on trick either
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like poor boot fitting - an oversized boot is seldom the solution. With the correct size a good boot fitter will punch and grind as necessary - did you get them from a company such as slush & rubble with a fit guarantee - by the sounds of it you have a couple of plant pots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Bartletts in Uxbridge so I was expecting everything to be fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SAPhil wrote:
I went to Bartletts in Uxbridge so I was expecting everything to be fine.

Go back/call 'em and have a chat with them. They're a straight-up outfit and I'm sure they'll look after you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are the cuff clips fitted. There are 3 holes to mount them in and the biggest allow for very wide calves if you are in the widest Hawx. Try moving them in? But you might also need J bars around the heel or whatever.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bunions aside, I'd had this exact problem all of my many skiing years. Doesn't matter about boot size, make, fit, fitting foam added etc - my feet just get warm or sweaty or whatever and change shape, or the liners or shell get too warm or - well, I don't know what it is, but it's a pain. I have narrow feet BTW.
Solution is to ski in really, really, really cold places then it doesn't happen (therefore pe se I conclude isn't boot fit).

But as said above, go check with where you got them from.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a ring later this week and see what they say.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SAPhil, atomic make 3 boots in the hawx family, the ultra (slim for) the prime(medium) and the magna (wide) if you have a magna you had better have a pretty high volume foot (before you take the bunion into account)

this is always a leap of faith thing when people have a foot like this as when you put the boot on at first and the bunion hits the shell they complain it is too tight, the job of the boot fitter is to convince them that it can be modified, trouble is often the consumer doesn't want this type of work doing to a boot as they want to hide the fact they have a bunion or they think ski boots should fit out of the box (i have lost count of the number of people who have said that to me over the years all wanting bigger and bigger boots each time) we stopped falling for it years ago, i will send someone away without a boot rather than let them have a boot too big, or if the boot has more volume than we want but they are insistent on the bigger size we mark it on the fit card that it was the customers decision and we are advising against it, i am sorry to say that in this world today we have to protect ourselves to some level
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CEM, I certainly didn't insist on the bigger size. One of the first two boots I was given to try on after having my feet measured was the magna. Maybe that day my feet were particularly wide - I did make the mistake of walking from Uxbridge Station to the shop!
Still, I'll see what, if anything, they can do for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to update this thread, I had re-fitting appointment last weekend. Ended up swapping my Hawx for some Lange boots which were then blown out to account for the bunion. Sadly, it's going to be a while before I get the chance to ski in them!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great to hear that BARLETTS in Uxbridge offered good service - Thumbs up to them!
snow report
SAPhil wrote:
Just to update this thread, I had re-fitting appointment last weekend. Ended up swapping my Hawx for some Lange boots which were then blown out to account for the bunion. Sadly, it's going to be a while before I get the chance to ski in them!

Great news, glad you got excellent customer service.
snow report
Good news on the new boots but a little strange the shop got it so wrong in the first place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy