Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Caught Red Handed

Poster: A snowHead
Max Hauke

https://www.vol.at/doping-baldauf-post-sorgt-fuer-aufregung/6112057
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I didn't realise that Shitstorm was now a proper German word...... Toofy Grin

Edit: Presumably like most new words in German it's neuter i.e das Shitstorm? Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 1-03-19 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Six times in seventeen years too. Do they never learn?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
50 to 60 other athletes possibly involved including swimmers and football players.

I suspect football, tennis and swimming are worse than cycling but they don't seem to hot on testing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, agreed - cycling always seen as the bad guys as they are actually doing something about it!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, My daughter has been tested with regards to swimming, and she is not elite level....yet... so testing does happen even down to lower levels of the sport
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I suspect football, tennis and swimming are worse than cycling but they don't seem to hot on testing.

Sports that are predominantly determined by physical performance (i.e. sprinting, cycling, weightlifting) are always going to rely on doping more than sports requiring a higher percentage of technical skill (i.e. football and tennis). That's not to say there's not doping in those sports too, but I think the difference is likely to be more about the different requirements of the sports rather than testing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Sports that are predominantly determined by physical performance (i.e. sprinting, cycling, weightlifting) are always going to rely on doping more than sports requiring a higher percentage of technical skill (i.e. football and tennis). That's not to say there's not doping in those sports too, but I think the difference is likely to be more about the different requirements of the sports rather than testing.

Football and Tennis players guzzle steroids and other muscle building drugs.
Plus a lot of charlie in Soccer - although not sure whether that counts although it did for Ulrich in Cycling.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
legue wrote:
@davidof, My daughter has been tested with regards to swimming, and she is not elite level....yet... so testing does happen even down to lower levels of the sport

Someone was even busted for doping at a dry ski slope race many moons ago. Bonus points for whoever can remember the full story.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Football and Tennis players guzzle steroids and other muscle building drugs

Again, I'm not saying that is untrue there is obviously doping in all sports. While EPO and steroids are likely going to have some benefit, it's no use if you don't have the necessary skills to go with it. Look at someone like Federer, clearly not the best athlete physically when compared to some of the other tennis players but still a consistently winning player. On the other hand cycling is all about physical requirements. Doping will improve performance in both sports but is far more necessary to win in some than others.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
legue wrote:

Someone was even busted for doping at a dry ski slope race many moons ago. Bonus points for whoever can remember the full story.

TBF if I was stuck on a dry slope I'd want something to make it more interesting too
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

Plus a lot of charlie in Soccer - although not sure whether that counts although it did for Ulrich in Cycling.

There's a classic bit of audio somewhere, in which a tame journalist ascribes Barcelona's success to its human growth hormone project. Then furiously backtracks when it was pointed out that HGH isn't within the rules.

A good big one is always better than a good little one.

And from the Operacion Puerto case.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci%C3%B3n_Puerto_doping_case

Quote:
On 5 July 2006, Fuentes was indignant that only cyclists had been named and said he also worked with tennis and football players.[2] On 27 July 2006, IAAF was assured by Spanish prosecutors that no track and field athletes were involved.[58] On 23 September 2006, former cyclist Jesús Manzano told reporters from France 3 that he had seen "well-known footballers" from La Liga visit the offices of Dr Fuentes.[59]

In May 2007 Sepp Blatter, president of FIFA, at a World Anti-Doping Agency meeting in Montreal, was reportedly interested in the contents "of the Puerto file".[60] Le Monde had reported in December 2006 that they had possession of documents of Fuentes detailing "seasonal preparation plans" for Spanish football clubs FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. These plans did not specifically name any players.[61] No other athletes had been named.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Can you back that up with some fact. My son has been tested twice since he has been at the PL club academy he is in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/47420065

@thecramps, at least he doesn't play bridge. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Riccardo, Wow. How does doping help in bridge? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Would be very surprised if any elite athletes were not doping up.

You can win $1m from a needle.

Everyone would do the same.
latest report
thecramps wrote:
davidof wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Can you back that up with some fact. My son has been tested twice since he has been at the PL club academy he is in.

Yeah sure for more reliable blood testing

Cycling 35% of all drugs tests conducted were blood tests.

Athletics 17.6% of tests were blood tests.

Tennis 3% of their doping control tests on blood last year.

Football 3% of tests were blood tests

Boxing (3.5%)

Gymnastics (1%).

"Matty Fryatt - who played in the Premier League for Hull City, and in all three divisions below the top flight - recalls being drugs tested just five times during his 15-year career." - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43036338

WADA say that absence of evidence in football is because they don't test enough.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/football-rife-with-performance-enhancing-drugs-a-1139238.html
snow report
So being tested twice in 11 months is quite exceptional? I don't believe that. My understanding is that it's as much about when you do the testing (in relation to Competition events) as anything else. Everyone always knows where football players are, at least during the season, various other athletes and cyclist fek off to various obscure training camps in wierd corners of the globe, sometimes hanging out with, and training with, people with history, whilst simultaneously appearing in photos with them and denying they know them (see Mo Farah). I am not denying there may be a problem in football, but that it is nothing like as bad as cycling, which buried it's head in the sand when to even laymen there was clearly a problem of epic proportions.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 1-03-19 19:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@Riccardo, Wow. How does doping help in bridge? Madeye-Smiley

Those playing cards are quite heavy !!
ski holidays
Riccardo wrote:
davidof wrote:

There's a classic bit of audio somewhere, in which a tame journalist ascribes Barcelona's success to its human growth hormone project. Then furiously backtracks when it was pointed out that HGH isn't within the rules.

Messi had a growth hormone disorder which Barcelona agreed to fund the medical treatment for (HGH) when they signed him at 13 years old.

Therefore its quite true to say Barca's success is down to human growth hormone and it was completely within the rules.

I suppose the question is who else they may have 'treated' with it! Not that anyone else in there team really matters.
snow report
@thecramps, pro cyclists have to account for whereabouts and be available for testing on demand, which is frequently demanded

Of course cycling has issues, but as they're tackling them, and they're very visible, many people assume they are worst offenders. Maybe they are, I suspect other sports have same issues but pretend not to
snow conditions
Frome is up there
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Frome is up there

In Somerset, UK? I would have thought Yeovil had more of a drugs problem but from this page I can see you are well informed about Frome's own "needle park"

https://www.police.uk/avon-and-somerset/AE016/priorities/
snow report
@davidof, Laughing
ski holidays
@davidof, perhaps he means this place

https://www.alphabiolabs.co.uk/find-test-locations/frome-testing-services/
ski holidays
@davidof,
Needles & syringes all over the place in Yeovil, but that's what you get if you go up North wink

Anyway, that Seefeld is a dodgy place, full of unsavoury characters Embarassed
ski holidays
When I played rugby at lowerish league level half the pack were openly on steroids.
snow report
Boris wrote:
@thecramps, pro cyclists have to account for whereabouts and be available for testing on demand, which is frequently demanded
Of course cycling has issues, but as they're tackling them, and they're very visible, many people assume they are worst offenders. Maybe they are, I suspect other sports have same issues but pretend not to

Many people assume cycling is worse, simply because it is worse. And surprise surprise some fallout of this Seefeld case... a cyclist, not really unknown one Wink
PS: Pretty much everyone under WADA have to account for whereabouts and out of competition tests, so it's not that cycling does so much better. And another proof doping tests are useless.... guy "caught red handed" was tested 2 days before he got caught... negative, same as his partner in sprint relay (the other Austrian that got caught), so I guess they waren't doped Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
You can win $1m from a needle.

Everyone would do the same.

Fascinating insight into your moral and ethical compass. Says so much more about you than “everyone” else.
snow report
Quote:

Many people assume cycling is worse, simply because it is worse.

Is it though - or are they only ones looking
snow conditions
Everytime I see the post title...

http://youtube.com/v/Qv5fqunQ_4I

jokes aside though:
primoz wrote:
PS: Pretty much everyone under WADA have to account for whereabouts and out of competition tests, so it's not that cycling does so much better. And another proof doping tests are useless.... guy "caught red handed" was tested 2 days before he got caught... negative, same as his partner in sprint relay (the other Austrian that got caught), so I guess they waren't doped Wink

A friend who is a professional athlete and Olympic hopeful for 2020, has been selected by (think it was WADA) this year for testing - he was telling me he is required to checkin his location to an app each evening so they know where he is spending the night. They then randomly show up for testing late evening/early morning. If he is not there on 3 occasions it is a "disqualification" and from our last talk he has already been tested twice this year.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Many people assume cycling is worse, simply because it is worse.

Is it though - or are they only ones looking

Based on numbers.... they are not really looking that much in cycling Wink These are data for 2017:

Cycling: 23575 tests - 280 positive - 1.2% of tests were positive
Athletics: 31483 tests - 295 positive - 0.9% of tests were positive
Football: 37118 tests - 167 positive - 0.4% of tests were positive
Skiing: 10104 tests - 16 positive - 0.2% of tests were positive

Of course you can't really look just at numbers of tests, as there's way more people playing football then doing athletics, there's less people cycling and even less skiing, but percentage of positive tests out of all tests is sort of mark how "dirty" sport is.

Also number of blood tests in cycling is not higher but rather smalle compared to number of urine tests, when comparing cycling to other endurance sports:
Road cycling: 13000 urine tests (in and out of competition test) - 1752 blood tests - 13%
XC skiing: 2537 urine tests (in and out of competition test) - 434 blood tests - 17%
Athletics (3000+ meters): 8867 urine tests (in and out of competition test) - 909 blood tests - 10%
snow conditions
As a comparison, rugby union in England published its report into the 2016/17 season in February last year ( here - next report is due very soon). There is no statement of the breakdown between the men's and women's game, but I would expect maybe 95% of the tests to be on men.

International players were tested on 156 occasions, 140 of those by World Rugby and 4 by the Six Nations, with only 12 by the RFU.
Premiership players were tested on 229 occasions, 24 by EPCR in European competitions.
Championship players were tested on 130 occasions, all by the RFU
Junior Academy (aged 17-18 ) players were tested on 108 occasions, all by the RFU.

Of all of these, 537 were urine tests, and 86 were blood tests. There were no doping violations detected. A separate programme to detect illicit drugs reported one detection for cocaine from 302 samples taken in the "professional" game. The Rugby Players Association claims to represent over 800 current male and female professional rugby players, but with 12 clubs in the Premiership with an average squad size of 50 plus an academy of around 20 players per club that's about 600 senior players and 240 academy players, plus maybe another 30 per Championship club for a total of 1200 male players. The chances of being tested are about 1 in 3 over the course of the season, or 2-3 times per season for international players.

At the community rugby level, which includes everything from the national leagues downwards and includes schools, universities, etc (and so still includes some players who get paid and who can be full-time professional rugby players), there were 119 samples collected of which 94 were at National League 1 level. There were 4 doping violations detected. The RFU is reported to have over 1.1 million registered players, though of course many of these will be in the mini and juniors teams, so let's say that there are 50000 adult players in England. For those outside of National League 1, the chances of being tested are about 1 in 2000. That's not good enough, and it means that at the lower levels doping is likely to be endemic either through a conscious choice, or from ignorance of the true contents of supplements. Is every player doping? No. Is there at least one senior player per club who is? Almost certainly.

The RFU report also makes it clear that doping is a serious concern in schools, where research has reported that "Nutritional supplement use is prevalent among English schoolboys" and "A degree of willingness to try a ‘risky’ substance was also noted". That's the future right there - it has to improve, and if the RFU thinks it is doing enough then it is wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy