Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April 6th week...snow + Economy!

Poster: A snowHead
Ok folks, looking at taking 3 beginners out for a week on ski's, April 6th on. Economy is a big factor, and will drive down. Looking at La Joue Du Loup as a possibility, but the question is : Will there be any snow then! Anyone with contacts with the God of weather or a crystal ball or past experience?
Thanks, Pete
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it were my own trip, then I'd look at Val Cenis as cost can be good plus the slopes are predominantly north facing and should give you decent odds of snow conditions. We've been last week in March which was fine, although you'll be a little further on from there.

I've not visited La joue du loup, but a friend has a few times. His view is that if conditions are not conducive to viable skiing then you've few options close by to pull out of the bag. Also snow conditions have been patchy for him at various times of visiting.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Perdrix, April 6th week should be fine for beginners doing piste skiing. Snow making these days helps a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We often go to Val Cenis (and are going yet again) in the first week of April onwards- it's been fine for the last 7 years- quiet, cheap, decent snow above 1800m- does get heavy and slushy back to resort in the afternoon but smallish price to pay for the advantages- never bothered mine and our friends' kids when they were beginning and smaller- they enjoyed the lower nursery slopes whilst we sat in bar!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tignes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajc2260626 wrote:
tignes

For a beginners trip where economy is a big factor Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could stay in Kaprun, whose village slopes will be closed, and bus it to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.
I know someone who did that last April and they were happy with it. They had a beginner child with them who had lessons up there.
https://www.bergfex.com/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, I thought the same as you.

Nothing at all wrong with Tignes, but I couldn't match the costs incurred in Maurienne valley with most elements in Tignes.

Advantages of Val Cenis; its an easy drive and avoids Tarentaise valley busy traffic.

Car access and no parking charges, plus access to Bonneval, La Norma, Val Frejus etc with that car if snow is more favourable.

All on same lift ticket too at better cost than EK. All have good beginner skiing with less crowding.

Apartments generally less cost (check sunweb for deals).

Some great places to eat out at very reasonable cost.

It really does have alot of positives to fit cost constraints, high chance of good snow, very easy to use as introduction to skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that many resorts have ‘some’ accommodation that is ‘cheap’, then I would have thought the primary question is the snow depths.
I must admit to be following this thread with interest. I’ve only ever skied NewYear, Half term, or early March weekends... I’ve NEVER skied in April, but if I am going to get any skiing at all in 2019 then it will have to be this 6 April week.

Like the OP i’ll be driving, but surely this also means Austria and Italy are in the mix as much as France?
I’ve skied Saalbach, Schladming, Obergurgl, 3Valleys, Paradiski, LaPlagne, Alpe Dhuez..... But are those resorts still viable that late in the season? Are there specific resorts that will APPEAR cheap simply because half the slopes will be closed?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. Sestriere.
2. Avoriaz.
3. Sauze Doo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Book the ferry crossing and closer to the time see how the snow and weather are holding up. Then check Sunweb site for their best offers for an apartment with included lift pass and see what that throws up. I agree with the Val Cenis suggestion (upto 2800m and mainly N facing) but with beginners would head to Valmeinier (if conditions are holding up). Flaine might work for accommodation cost but more expensive on mountain, and as a last suggestion Serre Chevalier village website often has good apartment and Inc lift pass deals. But check resort websites for lift openings in case they are starting to scale down as stated above
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whitegold, I don't think two of the resorts on your list will be open that week - Sauze, Sestriere.

I have not been to La Joue du loup so am not sure what it would be like that week. It must be one of the furthest places in France to drive to.

I would suggest going to Val Cenis or Montgenevre instead. Both have north facing beginner slopes and go up to a reasonable altitude. We stayed at Chalets de Flambeau in Val Cenis but there are plenty of cheaper places there eg les balcons du village. Le Hameau des Airelles is the best budget option in Montgenevre and it has an outdoor heated pool.

if you want a shorter drive Flaine in the northern alps should have decent snow and is good value for accommodation. however I would say that Val Cenis and Montgenevre are better for beginners.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When we took grandchildren in April on a super budget trip we got a good deal with Sunweb in Vars. Decent size ski area, all skiing was open, some runs slushy in the afternoon and icy in the morning, but the kids got on fine. Cost less than £1200 for 3 adults and 3 children in a 3 bedroom apartment, including lift passes. It is a fair drive though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamescollings,

April is one of our favourite ski months!

These days we usually ski The 3 Valleys then and will be doing so again this year - flying out on 28 April to Val Thorens, which is open until 3 May and usually has 90% of the runs open then.

We've also skied the Espace Killy a few times in April/May and never been disappointed. Over the years we've had great snow on every trip there - right through to early May. I'm sure someone (like Mountainaddict) will be along to post some April photos.

Typically you will encounter hardpacked pistes lower down early on, which soften up nicely during the day. Yes, you may encounter some slush on lower runs but you will always find great snow (all day) at altitude. You could encounter all types of snow - and don't rule out powder. We've had that a few times on late trips - for example we had fantastic, deep powder on 27 April last year in Val Thorens. Very Happy Very Happy

If you fancy a road trip I would recommend trying the Austrian glaciers. You could fly to Munich, hire a car, then ski Hintertux, Solden and Stubai Glacier, with a couple of days at each. You will be more likely to have great snow, top to bottom, on the glaciers and less likely to encounter slushy conditions. And accommodation is very reasonably priced in all those areas.

Remember to pack high factor sun cream though! Very Happy (And let us know how you get on).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
free lift passes for all in Livigno after 6th April, if booking accom at one of their affiliated apartments.
snow conditions
If you wait until 4 weeks before you leave then this accomdation is normally discounted by 40%. Has been last 2 years and in a block of 40 apartments, last year there were only 5 cars in the underground car park so seems a safe bet.
https://en.residence-nemea.com/winter/france/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/hautes-alpes/serre-chevalier/holiday-residence-l-adret-95.html?adults=1&id_housing=106&from=2018-12-22&to=2018-12-29&Site=Emailing&newsletter=2018-11-07&utm_source=Emailing&utm_medium=email&utm_term=DEF_CLIENT&utm_campaign=2018-11-07_NL

Last 2 years the skiing has been fine in the mornings with getting slushy on lower slopes in the afternoon.
latest report
Statistically the Ski Amade area in Northern Austria gets more "Precipitation" in Mar/Apr than Jan/Feb. Most of the time this falls as snow above 1200m. So Austria definitely in the mix. We are skiing Flachau week 13 Apr and very confident they'll be plenty of snow and the lift pass covers the higher areas of Gastein and Dachstein too. Ski early and enjoy sunshine Apres from 3pm onwards. Good deals available plus, if your beginners are family members, under 18's ski free in Ski Amade from 16 Mar onward. There's a €600+ saving right there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy