Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Pack as Hand Luggage EDINBURGH

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, anyone taken an airbag backpack through Edinburgh as hand luggage? I am travelling EasyJet who state they are happy for it to be taken as hand luggage, just wondering if airport security will freak out!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zikomo, You'll need to put the cylinder and trigger in hold bag, and let the airline know you intend to take it so they mark it on the system. They'll not let you take it through security I don't think, ok without the cylinder/ trigger but not complete.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, Thanks. Can you let me know your experience of this? I.e. have you every tried to take it through security? Do you fly through Edinburgh?

I know that others have been able to take the whole thing as hand luggage in some airports. I am aware you can put the cylinder and trigger in a hold bag and take the rest of the backpack as hand luggage, I have done that before. Hence why my question was so specific.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@zikomo, email the airport security direct. I did this when wanting to fly with bottle and trigger but no bag. Got it all pre-approved and an email to wave at anyone on the day, plus the name of someone on duty in the office who knew what was going on. If they then tell you no in advance then I guess it's no.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@midgetbiker, Thanks! Will try that. Out of interest where did you fly through and were there any problems on the day?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
EasyJet have been fine in the past, but you need to be prepared for the airport baggage/security staff to not know what it is.

I have always taken mine as hand luggage, with all parts disconnected and the cylinder capped with a copy of the IATA regulations wrapped around it (in all relevant languages). In theory, it should also be fine if it is in checked luggage.

I have heard that an issue arises when the parts are carried separately, as an isolated cylinder and/or trigger can be very suspicious and difficult to explain.

My only nightmare was with Jet 2 from Manchester, when the airline claimed that I had not notified them and it was down to the pilots’ discretion. It turned out that the tour operator had not bothered to pass on my booking request (despite confirming in writing that they had).

So, if your flight is part of a package, don’t trust the holiday company to communicate for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sproggski, Thanks! Same question as above, just out of interest which airports have you managed to take it through as hand baggage and how much hassle was it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester. Only Jet 2 gave me any grief, but I did eventually get through (it saved me money in the end, as I had no time to buy food or duty-free before boarding!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sproggski wrote:
EasyJet have been fine in the past, but you need to be prepared for the airport baggage/security staff to not know what it is.

This.

I have travelled with a Scott Alpride avalanche backpack through Edinburgh a few times (with easyjet and BA). Printed off the IATA regulations, put them with the gas canisters and notified the airline that I intended to take an avalance airbag.

Stopped at Edinburgh security every time. Sometimes just a chat with the manager. The last time (in December) the (clueless) security manager said that I couldn't take them through security. I stood my ground and showed him the unopened, branded gas canisters along wth the highlighted AITA regulations and a copy of the email from Easyjet.

He went back to the office, came back and said that the canisters have to be connected to the valve to be passed through security (absolute nonsense - I had a real feeling that he was trying to save face with me telling him how to do his job). I went back through security without a problem after this.

I have never had a problem en-route back to Edinburgh from Chambery or Geneva.

Since they don't have many pass through EDI security I don't think that they really know how to handle it. It is a bit of a hassle emailing the airlines (who have all been great), printing off the IATA regulations and knowing that you're going to be stopped - nothing that is insurmountable though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JoyZipper, Thanks for this. Seems it can be a bit of a hassle but entirely possible. Will follow your lead on what to do....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zikomo wrote:
@midgetbiker, Thanks! Will try that. Out of interest where did you fly through and were there any problems on the day?

LBA, and no, no one even questioned me about the cylinder on the day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh and it was a Jet2 flight, so I also emailed Jet2 to pre-warn them, and carried a set of the IATA regs with the cannister.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy