Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. We are going to Les Carroz for the first time, at half-term. I have a couple of quick questions:

One of our group has his birthday whilst we are away - does anyone have a restaurant recommendation in the village? Nothing too flash - just somewhere that seven of us can have a decent (reasonably priced?!) meal out?

And in terms of the drive there (we are driving down), are chains necessary for getting up to the village? In seven years of driving to Oz, Tignes Les Brev and La Rosiere we've never used/ needed them, but have changed the car and just pondering whether I need to spring for some new chains. I realise it's a slightly speculative question as it is conditions dependent, but as a rule of thumb...

Whilst I'm here... any must do bits in and around LC/ GM generally. First time to the area for me...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would recommend le Refuge 1110m in Les Carroz village. I think it is still run by Stephane and Fabienne who are very friendly. You would definitely need to book though as the restaurant is small.

I would definitely take chains.

I'd recommend all the wooded runs in Les Carroz and Morillon as they are so pretty (and there are some lovely mountain cafes). The runs in Flaine are a complete contrast but you must try and get over there on a sunny day as there is a wonderful view of Mont Blanc from the top of the Grand Platieres lift. Make sure you do a lunch stop at Chalet D'Clair at the top of the Sairon lift in Morillon - there is a lovely round woodburner upstairs and they do amazing hot chocolates with masses of chantilly cream and marshmallows. I expect they are very busy at half term so you'd probably need to have lunch very early or late.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowymum, fantastic, thanks for the tips!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rainman, for restaurants in Carroz we like Piccolo, run by an Italian couple. Predominantly pizza, but lots of other choices, too. Make sure you book and ask to be on the ground floor (we're not fans of the basement!).

If you had arrived on Friday you would definitely have needed chains, although it is rare. Provided you are arriving before about 7pm if you want to pospone the decision you could go to the Carrefour in Cluses or the Super-U at the bottom of the hill as turn to go up to Les Carroz and buy chains there.

I'd echo all that @snowymum, has to say about the runs. Depending on the level of your skiers, the red Marmotte into Samoens is a really nice run especially in the morning, with spectacular open views (this is not a tree run). It is easy to bypass the harder higher section by using the blue Dahu. The snack at Brasseries de Saix on the left at the bottom of Marmotte is a very economical lunch stop, and the main restaurant is also reasonably priced. If you're skiing the tree runs into Morillon the same is true of L'Beu on the left at the bottom of Sairon, or can be approached from behind at the end of the green Marvel run.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sj1608, and likewise, cheers for the advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+ for Piccolo first floor not basement. We really like L'Agora, right in the centre of town, been going for 15 years now. Again good pizza but also other lovely items. You will need to book. We also really enjoy L'Spatule, it serves gallettes, stuffed with salads etc. At the weekends it has specials such as steak. There are a couple of more posh places but they have prices to match. + for ChaletD'Clair for lunch/coffee stops. There is also a good place half way down Serpentine in Flaine, never eaten in the restaurant but the snack section underneath copes well with crowds. We have used chains twice in 15 years, but when you need them you need them so either buy or wait and pick up as @sj1608, suggests. There are two good bakers and 2 x supermarkets in the town and one larger Spar a bit more out of town. Plenty of options. Lots of lovely slopes to ski, both tree-lined and not if you need to shelter from the wind /snow. If you are up for it has a new mechanical luge. We had great fun on it 2 weeks ago. 7 euros per car and you can either go for a 1 or 2 person car. they take a photo on the course and you can buy a print and they send you a jpg for 2 euros - bargain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Restaurant recommendation: we like very much Aux Petits Oignons in the middle of the village - a bit more expensive, but excellent food (beyond the Haute Savoie staples), friendly proprietors and a very nice atmosphere. Good children's menu too.

If the weather requires chains then they sometimes stop you on the road through Araches (just before Les Carroz) to check you have them, if not then you can buy them at the ski shop there, though cheaper to get them in the Super-U.

On the mountain, the excellent Chalet D'Clair has already been mentioned but also try Anfionne (at the bottom of the Plein Soleil lift) and (especially if good weather) L'Igloo (above Morillon) and Chalet des Molliets (bottom of Molliets lift).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always take chains you can get a hefty fine if you get caught without them, I have all weather tyres on hilux and rarely need to use FWD let alone the chains,last week we went up to pra de lys and road was really bad but only needed FWD on the last section as it there were a few steep hairpins,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy