Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN settings for dummies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David@traxvax, I hope that's not how you set the bindings on skis you lend out to guests - it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Setting the DIN is an inexact science even for the ski technicians who are obliged to follow the manufacturers' guidelines (on account of the legal ramifications that Fox alludes to.

For example, describing yourself as "a cautious intermediate" or " a strong intermediate" makes no difference: you are "skier type 2" - i.e. you are neither a beginner on the one hand, nor Glenn Plake on the other. You are everything in between, and no account is taken of where you might place yourself in this continuum.

And this is before you factor in the magical transformation in your physical prowess that occurs as you reach your 50th birthday. (I have been 48 for the past 6 years on this account, and am now a much better 48-year old skier than I was then).

On the whole, though, I wouldn't recommend ratcheting up the DIN setting: I'd rather the ski fell off than my kneecap (although I did once discover - in Japan - that the tech had set one ski to 6.5 and the other to 3.5: until then, I couldn't work out why I was always losing the same ski).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there has been a very important point missed out of this thread (other than a brief mention byWear The Fox Hat, DIN settings are only one part of the whole thing..... if the forward pressure of the binding is not correct then whatever the DIN seting is will not really matter. Case in point on a ski test last week a tech from one of the brands set me a pair of bindings (being in a rush i did not check then as well as i would normally) even with the DIN 0n 11 i released my boot from the toe unit whist cliping my boot up at the top of the run..... all due to the forward pressure not being correct, as it was a screwdriver adjust it made for a very tentative run down!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And an earlier mention by me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am uncomfortable with the recomendations of weight-in-KG/10 as an approx DIN setting. I think that it gives too high a value for the people who would be asking the question. I am a fast, strong, aggressive and experienced skier; 80kg at the gym, lots more when in ski gear and carrying a rucksac. Hence the weight/10 would give DIN 8 or 9. My own skis are set at DIN 6.5 and that (plus or minus 0.5) is what the hire shops have chosen. At 6.5 I can force the bindings to release when I do a test release of them at the start of a holiday - I like to check. At 6.5 the binding almost never come off while I am upright. But they do come off on some falls.

Have had a look at the charts referenced in this Snowheads topic and my first impression is that the DIN is around 2 less than weight/10.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree Adrian, mine are at 6.5 for an 82kg man and I have only ever lost a ski when upright once and that was because a rock suppiled the braking action of a F1 car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine are at 6.5 for a 120kg man. I am not aggressive and avoid jumps etc, but they do come off when i take a tumble. My test is to try and twist out of the ski whilst stood still. if i can then all is well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There again I weigh in at around 13 stone = 83kg, have my din set at 8 (slush+rubble & Ellis Brigham) and have had skis fall off in deeper snow when trying to recover balance.

(And once when pratting about on the Xscape poma Embarassed )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wonder what DIN settting this guy needed to stop him losing his skiis Very Happy

http://www.break.com/index/losesbothskis.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I'm skiing on the piste (why ? ) then I'll have my bindings set as per the chart. If I'm skiing offpiste, where I don't want to loose a ski, then I'll set them higher.

If I'm racing on plastic, I'll set them higher because doing the first three gates on one ski, leaving the other at the start, looks very silly.

The charts are only a guide.....and remember that forward pressure, and wing adjustment (on Sollys at least) make a huge difference.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick_C, Laughing Laughing Laughing side splittingly funny.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With the group about not using weight to get it - I'd be on <cough> at least 9 by that scheme and that would be way too high. 6 is fine on piste 7 in the powder. aj xx
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting thread here re the pros & cons of increasing your DIN settings for skiing in powder.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm in the "set 'em and leave 'em camp"

when I hired skis I had problems with pre-release in moguls and deep snow.

Since I own my own 1080s and have checked the dIN settings I've not had that problem (touch wood)

Maybe my technique has improved?? who knows!!

I know they come off when I think they should and don't when I don't!

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You're not going to chopping and changing all day and every day... but if the conditions are such that you need to jack them up a bit then you also have to be able to handle it on the piste and if you ski slow then a setting of 8 or so could hurt...!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy