Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Easter being late a problem?

Poster: A snowHead
Never had to consider Easter before but due to a combination of work commitments, needing to save up some cash, and not wanting to take the kids out of school during term time, it looks like we can only go Monday 15th April onwards. Is this going to see a huge drop in resorts we could consider?

Noticed that some resorts are saying the weekend of 13/14th is closure this year; Les Gets, one that I really rate but shuts on the 14th. Flaine seems to keep popping up as a late closure (22nd?) and it comes up an option on a few booking sites. What's the general consensus - still plenty of open resorts to choose from in the back half of April or should I just bite the bullet and go early?

Trying to keep things proper on the cheap - SC accommodation, self-drive so we can bring food, looking at booking through Sunweb/Snowtrex so passes are included, etc.... not looking exclusively at France, don't mind doing a bit more driving to get to Austria but guessing low altitudes in Austria may limit the choice of resort further?

NB: to add, late season snow is obviously hard to predict so I'm less bothered about overall coverage - snow making seems to be present in most major resorts, hopefully to keep nursery slopes open for my kids.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-02-19 13:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Specialman, Go somewhere with a glacier...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is this going to see a huge drop in potential resorts we could visit?

Well, certainly a significant drop. Very difficult - impossible - to predict conditions even in those resorts still open. But you don't need to book ahead. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem, you are driving, which is ideal. I'd stick to your plans to go in mid-April, but be aware that your choice will be limited. Les Saisies is open till 22 April too - and the snow might be fine. But it might be a mud and slushfest (I've been there at the end of season lots of times). Wait and see!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski wrote:
@Specialman, Go somewhere with a glacier...

L2A is an option plus it's easy to get to and it's open to April 27th.
Been there before, it was okay - lots of wind that closed lifts - and not a number one choice for me but needs must I suppose if it's one of the resorts to stay open.

I'm not up on where has glaciers. Chamonix - is it good for beginner kids? Always thought of it more for experienced skiers. Austria has a few glaciers doesn't it?

pam w wrote:

Well, certainly a significant drop. Very difficult - impossible - to predict conditions even in those resorts still open. But you don't need to book ahead. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem, you are driving, which is ideal. I'd stick to your plans to go in mid-April, but be aware that your choice will be limited. Les Saisies is open till 22 April too - and the snow might be fine. But it might be a mud and slushfest (I've been there at the end of season lots of times). Wait and see!

Not heard of Les Saisies before, I'll have a look.

Wondering if there's a database somewhere of resort opening times and closures?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've skied the Grand Massif at Easter holidays for the last 8/10 years, no matter when they fall. Have been pretty lucky most of the time (fingers crossed). Worst season as I recall was 2016/17 but hey it was bad everywhere. The links were closed but we still managed to drive over and ski Flaine everyday and it was alright. You accept at Easter that the snow goes off by just after lunch and plan accordingly. Best to aim high, such as Flaine, L2A etc etc as that gives you the best shot of decent cover. So maybe wait a while accommodation will be easy to pick up and maybe select a resort that has other things to do not just skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Specialman, If you can go a bit further afield take a look at Livigno. It's high, very snowsure, and very good value. Usually open until the first weekend in May.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Specialman, Easter is late it when do your kids school break up? Ours breaks up early April, if you can go then you'll normally be fine in higher resorts.

Have skied first week Easter in Les Arcs many times and. Is generally fine, but of course no gaurentee
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boris warwickshire breaks up April 12th, a real pain
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine's not high enough to be confident of booking now - 1650, same as Les Saisies, though the top is higher. And LS has a lot more to offer as a village/base. Much prettier, for a start. It's ideal for beginner kids, with small group lessons available at reasonable prices, and plenty of facilities, nice village - BUT, fond as I am of the place you definitely can't be sure of good snow in the latter half of April!

I wouldn't suggest Chamonix - Les Contamines, nearby, a better bet, holds it snow well. BUT the village is low - you would probably have to go up in the gondola each day for lessons, whereas they could be on the doorstep in Saisies. "Resort level snow" is very important for kids, IME - if they can play in the snow just outside your apartment it makes such a difference.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Specialman, we have booked Mayrhofen for going out on 13 Apr, booked accommodation via Sunweb.

Also look at the Spring Family Bash that same weekend to Val thorens.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Less than 5% of ski resorts in Europe will be reliably open in the second half of April.

Head as high as possible. Ideally, with a skiable glacier.

Or to (sheltered) snowpockets.

* Austria = St Anton-Lech, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Hintertux, Kaprun.
* France = Tignes, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens, Courchevel 1850, Les Menuires, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Alpe d'Huez, Les 2 Alpes, Avoriaz.
* Italy = Courmayeur, Cervinia.
* Switzerland = Zermatt, Verbier, St Moritz.

Several also in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Among all of those, Zermatt, Tignes, Val d'Isere and Val Thorens are the "big 4" stations for the snowsurest endseason riding.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Specialman, it is very difficult to beat Tignes at this time of year. I have experienced great powder skiing in Tignes late April on a number of occasions. I have tried lots of other places at this time of year but it is really hard to beat. There is a lot of high altitude skiing in Espace Killy. I would go there, well I am going there too. Val Thorens is good too in April, but I prefer the terrain in EK.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
@Specialman, we have booked Mayrhofen for going out on 13 Apr, booked accommodation via Sunweb.

It's a shame I'm working the weekend of 13th/14th and that weekend work is kind of funding part of the trip.... would have happily left on a Friday night and driven through the night

JayDub wrote:
@Specialman, it is very difficult to beat Tignes at this time of year. I have experienced great powder skiing in Tignes late April on a number of occasions. I have tried lots of other places at this time of year but it is really hard to beat. There is a lot of high altitude skiing in Espace Killy. I would go there, well I am going there too. Val Thorens is good too in April, but I prefer the terrain in EK.

Yeah, it ticks all the boxes for definite in terms of slope access and snow. I do love the EK, hopefully it won't price me out
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Flaine's not high enough to be confident of booking now - 1650, same as Les Saisies, though the top is higher. And LS has a lot more to offer as a village/base. Much prettier, for a start. It's ideal for beginner kids, with small group lessons available at reasonable prices, and plenty of facilities, nice village - BUT, fond as I am of the place you definitely can't be sure of good snow in the latter half of April!

I wouldn't suggest Chamonix - Les Contamines, nearby, a better bet, holds it snow well. BUT the village is low - you would probably have to go up in the gondola each day for lessons, whereas they could be on the doorstep in Saisies. "Resort level snow" is very important for kids, IME - if they can play in the snow just outside your apartment it makes such a difference.

That is a great point. Petty sure the kids' attention span for skiing may not last the entire day so yeah, playing in the snow would definitely be a bonus.

NickyJ wrote:

It's a shame I'm working the weekend of 13th/14th and that weekend work is kind of funding part of the trip.... would have happily left on a Friday night and driven through the night

JayDub wrote:

Yeah, it ticks all the boxes for definite in terms of slope access and snow. I do love the EK, hopefully it won't price me out
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Specialman,

DIY the SC accommodation on 'owners direct' or the various Tignes websites. Pierre Vacances (sic) was good value when I had an apartment. Chalet Chardons is worth a look. It could be a bit late for finding places now though. Lots of places for little ones to sledge and play around in the snow in the afternoon. Good luck. I will probably be taking my wife and little one there next April. I hope you have a successful trip. Little Angel
snow conditions
Go somewhere high, ideally with a glacier or head far north and it will be fine. Best on piste powder days I've had have been in L2A at similarly late Easters.
snow conditions
Places like Hintertux (and other glaciers - Cervinia?) - do they stay open for, effectively, all year or have a specific season with lifts otherwise closed (I know Tux has gondolas, so presume they stay open for foot tourism)?
latest report
@Grizzler, Hintertux is open for skiing all year.

https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/specials/hintertux-glacier/
snow report
@Specialman, Don't make the mistake that I've sometimes made of focusing on a high village. What you need is high mountains and a high village is a plus. Personally, I would avoid anywhere as low as Morzine, for example. You will get skiing above there but you will waste far too long just uplifting to the snowline.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Specialman, Don't make the mistake that I've sometimes made of focusing on a high village. What you need is high mountains and a high village is a plus.

(If you're not familiar with the 3 Valleys, Val Thorens and Les Menuires are neighbouring resorts a couple of lifts away from each other. Val Thorens is higher.)

I was just about to say the opposite, because he has mentioned he is interested in the nursery slopes for the kids, which tend to be at village level. I went to Les Menuires with a beginner at the end of the season 3 years ago, when snow conditions were average for the time of year. I was having great fun up in Val Thorens and the top of Le Masse. The beginner was stuck learning in the heavy snow down in Les Menuires. My least favourite run of the day was the run home, but he was lapping that and lower all day. Being higher, the nursery slopes in Val Thorens were in much better shape.

Val d'Isere is a good option too, because it has some great green slopes right at the top of the mountain (off both the main lifts, Solaise and Olympique, which are gondolas so you can come back down in them afterwards)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy